So what's for dinner?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Takeout from our favorite restaurant in town, to support them and because they're awesome. DH and one daughter had pecan-crusted chicken with butternut squash ravioli in a light creme fraiche sauce and son and I had filets with blue cheese, coarse-ground black pepper, and frizzled leeks over crashed potatoes and roasted broccoli. Other daughter had lamb meatballs with roasted tomatoes and feta cheese sauce and goat cheesy frites.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Dippy eggs with soldiers. (Also good for breakfast and lunch. But tonight, comfort food for dinner.)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're doing jambalaya tonight, because we were able to get real Andouille sausage for once. We're also making a nice fire outside and drinking wine next to it, even if it means wearing coats.

Maryn, who drinks a red with jambalaya rather than beer

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Chicken braised in hard cider with shallots, mushrooms, and apple, served over rice.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Fried tofu triangles and cauliflower. Plus leftover chicken.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Skillet chicken lasagna, modified from a recipe from Ree Drummond.

Roughly one pound of diced chicken (I saute it first and dice after cooking. I dislike handling raw chicken.)
One half large white onion, chopped
One jar of pasta sauce of your choice (we like Classico Tomato and Basil)
Roughly one pound of bowtie pasta, cooked

Heat chicken and saute onions in a little oil. Add jar sauce. Add pasta. Stir it all up. Top with generous sprinkling of shredded mozarella.

MM

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh yum pizza and lasagna.

Probably some sort of broiled fish filets. Side of cauliflower. Some fruit.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
I made a pot of chili with lots of beans & beer & ancho chilies, & good super-sharp cheddar to serve with it. Yum!

I have always served chili over rice, but I had a bag of quinoa taking up space in my pantry & decided to use that instead, since quinoa has been the Big New Thing for several years now and I hadn't gotten on the quinoa wagon yet. Um... I think I don't really like quinoa that much. I don't DISlike it, mind. It fills the role of starchy base more or less adequately. But the flavor and texture are both very blah & unappealing on their own, & they don't add anything but bulk to my bowl of chili. Oh, well. I still have half a bag of it I'll have to figure out a better use for.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I make Ina Garten's roasted vegetable and orzo salad a lot which my family loves, but last time my daughter made it and doctored it up - substituting quinoa for the orzo - that was delish. She cooked the quinoa in chicken stock instead of water and added a lot of lemon rind (it's not in the recipe) and more lemon juice to the dressing. She also put some roasted butternut squash in instead of the eggplant.
https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/orzo-with-roasted-vegetables-1

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I made a beef casserole. That is hardly taxing for those who know their way around a kitchen, but I was rather chuffed with myself, cos it turned out tasty, not merely just about edible as do so many of my culinary adventures.

Sigh. My late partner used to do most of the cooking -- with but the occassional misfire -- and he somehow managed to make everything taste like something I wanted to eat. Maybe I should have a go at making a beef stifado with those parmentier potatoes that went down a storm?

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
A chicken adobo recipe from Cook's Country magazine, which came out pretty well but needs tweaking. Some nice intense flavoring, though (ingredients include chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, espresso powder, a lot of garlic, and molasses. Will be making this again.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I made pizza. Food and time killing rolled into one!

I used Bobby Flay's dough recipe from the Foodnetwork, which worked out beautifully. I had bought pizza sauce and mozza, but the rest of the stuff I scrounged from the fridge - garlic sausage sliced thin, onions, cherry tomatoes, blobs of pesto, and sliced jalapeno stuffed olives. All to wild acclaim and crazy statements of this is so good we should never buy bought pizza again.

Um what?

This is quarantine entertainment people, I'm not going to be doing this all the time!! Although I must say the dough was really easy to work with, it took only an hour to rise and it rolled out beautifully. But still, it's a messy endeavour and buying it is sooo much easier.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I use Alton Brown's recipe for my pizza dough. Makes me 3 sets of dough for extra meals.

Tonight, I'm probably making twice-cooked pork with leeks.