So what's for dinner?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hamburger, corn on the cob, sliced tomato

One of my local supermarkets recently started selling packs of "Pat LoFrieda" ground beef -- a blend of chuck, brisket, and short rib that's exceptionally good-tasting and juicy: perfect for a rare/med rare burger. If you're a burger-eater, I highly recommend looking for it!

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Getting back into the swing of things here....

Last night was chicken enchilladas out of the freezer: shredded chicken, onion, poblano, and cheese with green salsa. Plus avocado and sour cream.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Macaroni & cheese. In particular, Crusty Macaroni and Cheese. It's the easiest of all mac & cheese -- just macaroni + a lot of grated cheese, with a bunch of milk poured in, then bake till crusty. It's not the creamiest mac & cheese (unless you use a lot of American cheese or Velveeta in it, which I didn't) but it's a lot easier than mucking around with a béchamel to make the standard macaroni & cheese sauce. I'll probably dose it with extra milk to smooth it out when reheating portions.

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
Easy Homemade Clam Chowder.
2 - Cans (142g) whole baby clams (use clams and juice)
1-1/2 cups Coconut milk
1 cup creamo (half/half)
1/2 head cauliflower (chopped)
2 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper

IN A big POT, Bring cauliflower and chicken broth to a boil, simmer 20 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients
Heat on Medium for 10 minutes.

Tried this for the first time tonight. Surprisingly, it was better than I thought it would be.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken pot pie from Big Y. They're so yummy.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Pinto beans with a ham hock. It was a super-yummy soup last night. If it thickens, it may go over rice tonight, otherwise soup again. There's not a lot of actual meat on a hock, so I may cut some kielbasa into it.

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
Annie's shells mac & cheese (added a little hot sauce when mixing it all up), Aidell's apple & chicken sausage, roasted broccoli with lemon olive oil.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I jumped off from a recipe of Ree Drummond. Chicken Mac n Cheese Florentine. She makes her mac n cheese from scratch, I'm far too old and lazy, especially for only two people.

One largish chicken breast, cut into small pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
One small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
One box Velveeta shells n cheese
Garlic powder to taste
Approx 1 cup sour cream
Extra shredded cheese
Frozen chopped spinach (about 5 ounces)

Saute the chicken and onions in a small amount of oil. When chicken is done, add garlic powder, sour cream, cheese sauce packet, and mix well.
Meantime cook pasta shells. When pasta is done, mix about 1 cup of pasta water into chicken mixture. Drain pasta and mix in with meat and cheese. Add extra cheese (about 1/2 cup) and mix well. Add spinach and mix well. If it is too dry, add a little milk. If it is too loose, add more cheese.

This makes four servings for us.

MM

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
There's not much left of the Christmas prime rib, but I think just enough to make into hash tonight with plenty of potato and onion.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't able to get a prime rib for Christmas, (having groceries delivered) so I got a top round instead and made pot roast. Today it is becoming vegetable beef soup. Yummy.

MM

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I've been in the mood for pulled pork but I'm tired of recipes that over-rely on barbeque sauce for flavor . . . so I'm trying a new recipe today: Bourbon Bacon Pulled Pork. I hauled a pork shoulder roast out of the freezer and it's been cooking all day; the smell is killin' me and I really, really hope it tastes as good as it smells. (I'm omitting the bacon 'cause I'm running a bit low and don't want to be on the roads right now.)

ETA: The recipe seems to be a keeper. I will be making my inevitable "adjustments". For instance, the original recipe calls for a 2 lb. roast, and the recipe's bourbon & apple cider vinegar & brown sugar amounts were too much even for my 3.5 lb. roast. Proportionally, the amount of salt was fine without the bacon so I'ma thinking if I ever do make it with bacon, I'll cut back a bit on the salt.

Last edited:

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Years ago when I first moved here there was a bakery/restaurant around the corner that, in addition to very good bagels & babkas, made a fantastic salmon chowder, heavy on the cream & sherry, that I have remembered with longing ever since they closed. The other day, while reminiscing about the lost deliciousness of Lenders' salmon chowder, it occurred to me that someone, somewhere, may have a recipe for it. And through the magic of the internet, that recipe is now mine! So tonight I'm having the salmon chowder from Lenders.

Now if only the internet would cough up the recipe for the fantastic lemon poppyseed bread I used to get at The Cottage in Iowa City -- which was different from and better than any other poppyseed bread anywhere, and which I have never yet been able to acquire...