seeking...comprehensive review(s) of screenwriting software

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello again, folks.

I am seeking a site which contains a comprehensive review (or comparison) of all current and known screenwriting software, from the most expensive to the free/open source.

Anyone of you folks out there able to assist in this small matter?

Thanks.

ETA: Have just recently noticed and read the sticky & its contents on the general section below. Very good and helpful (but no mention of a site containing comprehensive reviews of screenwriting software...)

Last edited:

ATP

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Hmmm...you would think that with the seeming "two-hands full" of screenwriter software available, that at least one organisation or publication would have done a comprehensive review/comparison.

Or is this just wishful thinking on my part, and not such a seemingly obvious thing to do for one's members/audience?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
"Which is best?" type threads pop up from time to time, here and on other boards. With very few exceptions, folks vote for and swear by the software they started out with.

-Derek

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Hmmm...you would think that with the seeming "two-hands full" of screenwriter software available, that at least one organisation or publication would have done a comprehensive review/comparison.

Or is this just wishful thinking on my part, and not such a seemingly obvious thing to do for one's members/audience?

Over the years, Creative Screenwriting magazine and others have done reviews. I don't know if they're available on line.

As a practical matter, reviews don't matter all that much. For pros, there are really only two options, Final Draft and Movie Magic. Both programs are industry standard, and nearly all pros use one or the other or both.

You can download demos of both, and try them out. (I'm assuming the Movie Magic demo is currently working.) See which one you prefer.

Both programs go for around $200, give or take. Cheap for top level software for working pros, quite costly for hobbyists.

For someone who's not working at a professional level yet, there's no burning need for MM or FD. You can save your money and work with one of the freeware programs mentioned in the info section. They're free to try, so you can make up your own mind.

As Derek notes, it comes down to personal preference. I started with Scriptthing, which became MovieMagic, and that's still my fave.

ATP

Registered
Reaction score
Seeking to bring some semblance of order to the disordered information that I have gathered to date, I would like to add some additional summary data for any who might think it helpful. (I am still seeking a comprehensive review, though).

Software +price range+site

USD200-300
Final Draft-
www.finaldraft.com

Movie Magic 6-
www.write-bros.com

Scriptware-
http://scriptware.com

USD100-200
Scriptwright-
http://store.indelibleink.com/scriptwright.html

USD50-100
Hollywood screenplay (professional version)
www.writersupercenter.com/hollywoodscreenplay

Scenewriter Pro-
www.scenewriterpro.com

below USD50
Screenpro
www.passarella.com/screenpro/

free/open source
Simplyscreenplay
Scriptsmart
RoughDraft
Cinergy Script Editor
Page 2 stage
Celtx (open source)

Last edited:

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, basically two

There are always some small players establishing a niche out there (as Sophocles did before it disappeared, and it was great).

But basically you have two professional choices: Movie Magic Screenwriter and FinalDraft.

Celtx is there as a free alternative. It is developing, and will eventually be a major player, I think.