If I Had Been In the Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I'm watching a show, movie, or reading a book, there are many times when I think to myself, "that's not how I would have acted," or, "I would have said something different". Sometimes I even picture myself doing or saying that difference if I had been in the scene.

Is this normal or is it something that shouldn't be done? Cause usually I have a difficult time placing myself in another characters skin and acting or talking as that person is supposed to.

Reaction score
Whenever I'm watching a show, movie, or reading a book, there are many times when I think to myself, "that's not how I would have acted," or, "I would have said something different". Sometimes I even picture myself doing or saying that difference if I had been in the scene.

Is this normal or is it something that shouldn't be done? Cause usually I have a difficult time placing myself in another characters skin and acting or talking as that person is supposed to.

See? You do have an imagination after all. :D

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
It can be a valuable way to generate ideas.

Of course, you run the risk of bleeding your new idea into something that is already out there. But it can be resource for generating ideas.

"If only they had done this with that character this whole chain of events could have... wait a minute... there's a completely new story here!"

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
well, that character isn't you! so they wouldn't do what you would do. Everyone reacts differently to things. If a person came running into the living room with blood spurting out of their arm, some people would faint, some people would scream and panic, some would flutter uselessly around the room, some would cackle evilly, some would scoff and say it's only a flesh wound, some would have a flashback to their time in a combat zone, and some would apply pressure, elevate the wound, and call 911. Depends on personality :D

Kaylee

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DawayneA Whenever I'm watching a show, movie, or reading a book, there are many times when I think to myself, "that's not how I would have acted," or, "I would have said something different". Sometimes I even picture myself doing or saying that difference if I had been in the scene.

I do that all the time.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm always in the scene, so it sound pretty normal to me.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I write the songs that make the whole world sing.

Status
Not open for further replies.