Images on Blogs

marianaz

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering what the rule is regarding images on personal blogs. I have a writing blog, and recently I was searching for pics that look like some of the characters in my novel so that I could use them for character profiles. I found one on getty images and after editing it in photoshop, I would like to post it on my blog. If I leave the getty images trademark on there, would it be okay for me to post the pics??? Please help...

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Looking at their site, I think you have to buy the rights to the image to use it. If a site doesn't specifically say you can use their pictures, assume you can't.

(I'm sure others can offer links to public domain or free to use photo sites... I'm afraid I don't know any, as I don't use them).

WWWWolf

Look! A carnival wolf!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iki.fi
Generally speaking you should always get a permission of some sort for all outside material you're using, including images, even for personal/non-commercial use, unless it's so minor that it qualifies fair use. (For example, using scaled-down/portions of images or short text quotes for the specific purpose of commenting on them.) Getty charges royalties for the use of their images, last I checked.

Your best bet is finding material that's specifically stated to be in public domain, or there's a specific blanket permission to use the images (Creative Commons, or "feel free to use in your blog/whatever provided that you blah blah etc."). Failing that, the least you can do is to ask.

And a random plug: Wikimedia Commons, the single greatest source for free-to-use images right now. =)

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
I myself, as a graphics designer, use royalty free accounts with places like Istock photo and what not. As long as the copyright is adhered to then you are safe to post it. As in giving credit where credit is due, mentioning the original art piece and the creator does gray area it for a loop hole to copyrights - if you don't have qualms for that sort of thing of course.

Unfortunately, most stock photo sites require a fee for membership and use of the stock images. It's well worth the 40 to 80 dollar range a year for a very large stock photo list and access to those stock photos.

Most of these sites also carry graphics in stock as well as vectors and types of clipart you may not see in other places.

Have you altered the image completely? Does it look significantly different than the original (this leaves it open to interpretation on original image and manipulated image ownership).

You can always try Deviant Art - most of the users there allow free range use of their work without royalties or copyright claims unless otherwise stated by the artist (some of the artists are also writers in the comic and manga genre).

TT

marianaz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!
Also WWWWolf thnks for the site...I'm going to check it out.

TT I didn't change it drastically. Just a simple overlay layer and some title text, a crop and colour tweaks. Also I'm not using the full size pic...it's quite a bit smaller than the original. I'll be sure to check out out DA too =)
I'm also wondering since it's for personal use and not commercial (I'm not exactly using it to sell anything) if I still need to acquire some sort of license. But I get wht u guys are saying, just want to be sure.

Thanks again!