Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I say, "Not sure yet."

On the one hand, some things look neat.

on the other hand, I'm going to be comparing it to the leap from System Shock to System Shock 2, cause I'm an unfair bastard like that.

What I have seen does NOT measure up that amount of improvement. Cause SS was awesome...but SS2 was wtfamazing.

Also, didn't Tannenbaum...ya know...LEAVE rapture!?

With Jack and the Little Sisters?

And Rapture got its main power core BLOW UP at the end of Bioshock, it should have collapsed into the sea and been forgotten.

Really, I think they're going about this in the absolute wrong way: They SHOULD have done a Bioshock prequel, allowing you to do quests and missions for the various factions and watch the city collapse around you.

Now THAT I would pay through the nose to play!

tarcanus

Lord of the Tarcans
Registered
Reaction score
Also, didn't Tannenbaum...ya know...LEAVE rapture!?

This doesn't mean she can't go back when she hears of what the Big Sister is doing all around the world.

And Rapture got its main power core BLOW UP at the end of Bioshock, it should have collapsed into the sea and been forgotten.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I'm fairly certain this doesn't happen. It almost does, but is averted.

I think Bioshock 2 looks great. I got such a chill from reading over the hype-site somethinginthesea.com The only question mark hanging in the air, for me, is what the plot may be. Sure, the hype-site shows us how Little Sisters got back into Rapture and who did it, and various game mags tell us more info, but nothing about the main conflict beyond the possibility of what? Killing the Big Sister? Saving the kidnapped girls? It's up in the air at this point.

scottishpunk

Registered
Reaction score
I've not yet played Bioshock, (it's on my to-do list) but I've heard that there are multiple possible endings, according to choices you make throughout the game. Maybe it blows up in one, maybe in another it doesn't?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, the endings are either: The Good Ending or the Evil Ending.

The good ending is touching, well done, subtle, and brings a tear to my eye.

The evil ending is hammy, over done, stupid, and brings a tear to my eye, but for all the wrong reasons.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I own it. I'm playing it. I'm loving it. I can't properly describe the satisfaction of setting traps so well while your little sister is siphoning Adam from a corpse that the onslaught of splicers doesn't even come near you. It's so much fun to be back in Rapture.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thus far, hells yeah on both counts. My fingers are screaming in rebellion as I type this in protest of me not employing them to kill splicers. But that's me, I was a huge Bioshock fan. I could play it until the cows come home. Then when the cows got home I sent them back out on a few errands and purposely screwed with their GPS so they'd take that much longer getting back...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd say you should rent it first. I know I love it, but I don't play all that many games so maybe it doesn't take much to wow me. And again, I loved the first Bioshock which came as a big surprise to me given that I usually get bored with first-person shooters pretty easily. So for me, this is worth the purchase: great tweaks and upgrades on things I already enjoyed. Someone else might think it's just more of the same, though, and not really worth the purchase.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Overall a better game than the first, just doesn't have the "original" feel that the first had. It's sort of like getting a new bike to replace your old bike when your a kid. Even though the new bike is better, there's nothing like the feeling of your first bike.

Just like with the mass effect series, the second game is better mechanically and play wise, it just lacks the original feel of the first game.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I actually thought that MAss Effect 2 did a lot with the concept and the premise. It added a nice level of texture to the universe, and gave us a nicely dark take on the previously shiny and bright universe.

Its like we got to walk around 'civilized' space in the last game, with a few steps off the beaten path. But in the second game, we get to dive full on into the Terminus Systems and the shady stuff that gets up in those regions of space.

Anywho, Steam is downloading Bioshock 2 absurdly fast. Natch.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, while I'm still very much enjoying the game, I have to admit that I miss some of the humor and playfulness--almost intentional schlock--from the first game. The Circus of Values voice, the terrible Bandito stereotype voice, the darkly comical PSA's. This sequel's a bit more intense and can be tactical (until you realize which attacks are almost game-breaking effective), but I do agree with Dommo, some of the love is gone...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
sander-cohen.jpg

I want to take the ears off, but I can't. I hop, and when I hop, I never get off the ground. It's my curse, my eternal curse! I want to take the ears off but I can't! It's my curse! It's my fucking curse! I want to take the ears off! Please! Take them off! Please!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
You know, while I'm still very much enjoying the game, I have to admit that I miss some of the humor and playfulness--almost intentional schlock--from the first game. The Circus of Values voice, the terrible Bandito stereotype voice, the darkly comical PSA's. This sequel's a bit more intense and can be tactical (until you realize which attacks are almost game-breaking effective), but I do agree with Dommo, some of the love is gone...

Also Sophia Lamb is just...not a very good villain. With Andrew Ryan, I listened and was actually intrigued by his arguments, even when they were balls insane.

Lamb is just...shallow and flat and uninteresting in my mind.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also Sophia Lamb is just...not a very good villain. With Andrew Ryan, I listened and was actually intrigued by his arguments, even when they were balls insane.

Lamb is just...shallow and flat and uninteresting in my mind.

I agree. For me Lamb got better as the game progressed, but you're right, she's no Andrew Ryan. In a way it feels like she's playing second fiddle to him for a large chunk of this game. It still feels like his city, she sees you as his emissary, you have to tour his bizarro amusement park / museum (a very creepy highlight of the game in my opinion), he's got recordings all over the place, and everyone's still referencing him constantly. I don't think Lamb is bad, but compared to Ryan it's no contest. In fact, it makes me appreciate how great Ryan was as a villain even more. If someone wrote a book or created a graphic novel that was an origin of Andrew Ryan's story I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. Lamb's story? Pass...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you could just read the personal history of Ayn Rand, cause she is basically a female version of Andrew Ryan. Just...she...wrote books instead of building giant cities at the bottom of the ocean.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. For me Lamb got better as the game progressed, but you're right, she's no Andrew Ryan. In a way it feels like she's playing second fiddle to him for a large chunk of this game. It still feels like his city, she sees you as his emissary, you have to tour his bizarro amusement park / museum (a very creepy highlight of the game in my opinion), he's got recordings all over the place, and everyone's still referencing him constantly. I don't think Lamb is bad, but compared to Ryan it's no contest. In fact, it makes me appreciate how great Ryan was as a villain even more. If someone wrote a book or created a graphic novel that was an origin of Andrew Ryan's story I'd pick that up in a heartbeat. Lamb's story? Pass...

There's a novelization of the first Bioshock game due out in June. Maybe that will go into it.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a novelization of the first Bioshock game due out in June. Maybe that will go into it.

That could be really cool, I'll keep an eye open... maybe even two...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Also, is it just me or is the moral choice system even more...paper thin than in Bioshock?

Like, you can harvest the little sister...or you can not harvest them...but either way, you have mundo amounts of Adam.

Hurmph.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, is it just me or is the moral choice system even more...paper thin than in Bioshock?

Like, you can harvest the little sister...or you can not harvest them...but either way, you have mundo amounts of Adam.

Hurmph.

I actually think the moral choices this time around are a little deeper. I always found the moral choice in the original a bit shallow. With this one you get ample Adam either way, but there are also a lot more plasmids and upgrades to buy. Plus (non-specific spoiler if you haven't gotten that far): you get opportunities to not spare or not spare certain lives and that can impact different situations.

I always thought the original's moral choice system was shallow. I think this one's an improvement on that aspect.

On a different note, I think I would have preferred random or at least less predictable encounters with the Big Sisters. Knowing what triggers a Big Sister attack potentially adds a bit more of a tactical element, but having it be more randomized would have taken the intensity to insane levels and proven just as if not more tactically challenging as you try to regulate which ammo to use knowing that you need something in reserve for when Big Sis comes calling...

Status
Not open for further replies.