What's your schedule like?

Y.L. Prinzel

Registered
Reaction score
I recently began working full time as a freelancer and I've allowed my body (or maybe it's my brain) to determine my schedule. I find that I write best from 10 pm to 4 am. I have tried to write during a "normal" business schedule, but I can't focus on writing when it's light outside.

So obviously, since this is working for me, I'm going to listen to my body and keep on keeping on, but I wondered if any of you notice the same inclination?

Also, a side benefit to this schedule is that I am rarely interrupted by emails, IMs, Tweets and phone calls :)

Last edited:

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I write best first thing in the morning, however as my youngest (18months) has recently decided that 4.30am is the best time to get up in the morning, I am mostly brain-dead and get no time to do it.
Do you know how hard it is to write when all you can hear is Barney? I hate my brother for giving my kids Barney dvds. Today was the first time I've written anything in a few weeks and that was only 1000 words.

Sorry, I was intending to be objective and helpful, but all I can do right now is whinge.

God, I'm tired.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I often write in the evening, after Hubby has gone to bed. I easily stay up to 2am, which works out okay since I don't have to be to my teaching job until 9am. I also sneak in writing while the students are quiet and working on their chapters or something. (I have less than 20 students in each room, usually less than 10.)

I try to write after I get home from day classes, but usually I end up taking care of chores, doing house maintenance, and working from home on my other jobs. Then two nights a week I have night classes from 530p-10p.

Whatever works, works, so long as you're writing.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
Lately it's been pretty icky. I tend to be a night owl anyway, and being unemployed has just stretched that into unreasonable hours. My allergies also flared up really badly in April, and no matter what I do I have trouble sleeping at night, so the last few evenings I've just...um...been up all night writing. Great for wordcount, probably not great for the body.

I find my best work does come early morning, between 5-10:30 or so, which sucks because I'd much rather be sleeping in that time period. :)

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a coffee shop writer. I usually get there at 9:45 or so. I read for the first 30 min while having a yogurt. I get out my notebook and plan out scenes for the next hr. Then I start typing. Sometimes I can sit there until 5 or so.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My current schedule is unworkable. I have to change something because I'm not writing at the moment. I get up at 5:45am, leave for work at 6:45, work until 3:30 pm, pick up kids by 4:30, take kids to piano or dance, take kids home and make dinner, help kids with homework, try to get some exercise (bike, run, walk dogs), yell at kids to go to bed between 8 and 9 pm. Flop on the couch and watch an hour of trashy TV. Go to bed by 10pm and read for an hour. Repeat.

I can't dump the sleep or I'd be yelling more than I already do. I'm not sure how to work writing into this hairy schedule. I could drop the trashy TV, and on some nights I do. But that's still only an hour of writing. I do some writing and admin work on the weekends, between laundry, shopping and house cleaning.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I'm not really writing at this time, either. I'm trying, but my daily life crap schedule is sucking up all the time.

It flows a little somethin' like this:

4:00 - 4:30 Wake up (sometimes I hit the snooze) & shower

4:30 - 6:00 Get myself ready, take care of dogs, get a bottle for the baby, take care of other things for baby, take care of 3 yr old if she's awake, make husband's sandwich, get him up and moving, try to load/unload dishwasher/maybe start some laundry/do a little picking up if possible, check email real fast for anything important, look at this morning's weather report.

6:00 - 6:30 Take kids to parent's/work/pick kids up and come home

6:30 - 8:00 Take care of those first getting home things/the kids, cook dinner, serve dinner, try to eat dinner

8:00 - 9:00 Take care of getting kids ready for bed and all that entails. Invariably end up falling asleep on the couch with 3 yr old while watching an after bath cartoon.

??:?? Husband wakes me up to come to bed and I go pass out in there.

Truly sucks.