Falling in love with your WIP :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Last week I ran into a problem with my WIP and hated it, was sick of thinking about it.

I don't know how the idea came to me, but I thought of a solution for one part that could work...

Wait. Oh, Man! If I do THIS, it doesn't just work, it's effing awesome! Awesome, y'all :D :D A beta and I talked for 3 solid hours about subplots off this one.

Doing the snoopy dance and enjoying the work of the awesome-fairies!

Have the awesome-fairies ever visited you? Do tell! I know it may read differently to me down the line, but tonight I'm having some bubbly :D

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I've had things fall into place that have made me do the happy dance. Last night I wrote a bit that totally creeped me out and gave me a very proper nightmare. I've never been so happy to have a bad dream! I hope that my betas get just as creeped out!

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The awesome-fairy usually seems to visit in the form of scarletpeaches on MSN IM. I know, I know, I sing her praises here rather often , but I'm dead serious. I cannot tell you how many times I've been stuck and she's casually said "do X" or "do Y", and it worked. Like, didn't just work....totally made the skies open up, the angels sing, and the stars align. She's titled several of my WIP's, and even put the idea in my head for two books (one's finished, one's just starting)...but she's also found the magic feather that made some of my characters go from "meh" to "ZOMG!".

Scarlet rocks.

And those "ZOMG, I LOVE MY BOOK AGAIN!!!!" moments rock too.

Amy R.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amyredwood.com
You call it the awesome-fairies, I call it my muse. I rely heavily on her during plotting and feed her dark chocolate. Usually works well. :)

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I only ever loved my writing when I first wrote it. Maybe I will love it again someday, but not today.

Reaction score
Well, thethinker42 is my awesome-fairymuse.

Or something.

ANYHOO...I've been re-writing a story I began a couple of years ago then put to one side as it was just a bit bleh. And Lori's come up with a few suggestions (none of which I can repeat here, given that my genre is not-entirely-heterosexual-erotic-urban-fantasy) that at first made me go, "No way! My characters would never-! No, wait..."

So earlier on this evening I had my "DING DING!" moment and everything's fallen into place. This WIP now has menny menny smecks scenes - varying descriptions, combinations, positions - and yes, a proper story. Beginning, middle, end, you name it.

Just have to rewrite what I have so far and add all the juicy bits.

I swear, for the amount of brainstimulashunz she's administered, Lori deserves a free copy of each of my books when they're published and first dibs on Sh- no, wait. She may has Jared first.:D

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
My writing and I have a strictly professional relationship. The product of which is me being poor, and it being very lonely. Nevertheless, we like each other enough to stick it out till a day comes when I'm slightly less poor and it is slightly less lonely. I admit though, I do "love" some of my ideas though. If I didn't, I don't think I could sit down and put them to paper.

MaLanie1971

Registered
Reaction score
I have fallen in love with some of my characters, but I don't know about my writing. I am so use to being corrected, critized and not good enough that I am still not confident enough in my craft. (I have some perfection issues) However, I have seen some improvement since my last MS. Someday...

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Same as the falling out of love with my WIP.

I write memoirs, I'm a narcissist, I always love my WIP.

Sometimes I cheat on myself with other humans but I'm forgiving and I find that a very attractive trait.

How cool is that?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Same as the falling out of love with my WIP.

I write memoirs, I'm a narcissist, I always love my WIP.

Sometimes I cheat on myself with other humans but I'm forgiving and I find that a very attractive trait.

How cool is that?

I fall in love with your WIP's too, but that could be because one of them is also my WIP. lol

Viva la co-authoring! :D

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Wayne, you always crack me up!

Poland just rocks, absolutely, Matera. Mine involves body parts and bands of angry gypsies and reappearing religious fanatics, and is altogether too hard to describe. Winding up in Poland feels like the kind of moment this was :)

Thethinker & SP, y'all's relationship is so cool for that kind of insight. I didn't realize how cool my idea could be until I saw my friend's face when I told him about it.

Manx, I think creative ideas are such a strong suit for you that you might not notice an extra-special visit from the Awesome Fairy ;)

MaLanie, oh yes. I know it well. If your crits are based on an unfinished piece, they truly might not see the real picture yet. My betas had to bear with me, and still will as I try to capture this best on paper, you know?

Chocolates for the muses, and nightmares all around, y'all! I'm still high about it :snoopy:

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I've been struggling with my WIP for a while now but had a breakthrough tonight and I'm back in love with it all again now! :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If it's the hottest thing you've ever read I might represent her myself.

What's 15% of a 50 kajillion dollars?

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Email her and ask her to send it. I swear it's the hottest thing I've read in a long while. It should be printed on TLJPA* paper.

*Ask Lori.

Seconded! :D

So very very hawt. *Pleasant shudders*

On topicness:

My characters often whisper things into my ear that are WAY better than what I was thinking.

I added a 10k (ish) scene to my novel because of whisperings, and absolutely LOVE the series of events. :)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Email her and ask her to send it. I swear it's the hottest thing I've read in a long while. It should be printed on TLJPA* paper.

Seconded! :D

So very very hawt. *Pleasant shudders*

Jeez you guys, you're going to make people think I write filth.

But then, I do.

Wayne, drop me a PM or an e-mail if you want to read it.

On topicness:

My characters often whisper things into my ear that are WAY better than what I was thinking.

Mine do this on a regular basis, and it makes me SQUEEE! every time. Like, "ZOMG! I didn't know that about you..." or "Why didn't I think of that?" I've found that 99% of the time, if I listen to their whisperings instead of trying to override it with my own authorly thoughts, it works.

Hooray for character whisperings!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
fire%20hose_461f1a958f36f.jpg

That was hot.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been in love with my WIP for a very long time. However, that said, I do pine for the days when I could sit down and work on it without stopping after the first couple words. I have a couple WIP's that really are good, by my own estimation, but I kind of lost interest when I realized they were too short for first novels. They're both basically novella length. :(

If I could find a reason to get back into the swing of things with my old WIP's, I would be very happy to get back to work.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Have you put chocolate out for your muses. Go now; I'm serious!

:D

I wish I knew what makes the fairies visit or characters whisper, but I can't say that I do. That's why I'm so happy that I got a visit!

Maybe it's true, though, that thinking and thinking of the story itself seems key. Try not to worry about what first novel lengths are, etc. and listen, listen to the story :)

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been in love with my WIP for a very long time. However, that said, I do pine for the days when I could sit down and work on it without stopping after the first couple words. I have a couple WIP's that really are good, by my own estimation, but I kind of lost interest when I realized they were too short for first novels. They're both basically novella length. :(

If I could find a reason to get back into the swing of things with my old WIP's, I would be very happy to get back to work.

Why not just find a way to combine the two? If you could rework them into something with a common thread, you might come up with a very interesting hybrid.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.