Angel Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldberry

Registered
Reaction score
I really liked the novel "Many Waters," by Madeleine L'engle. There were angels on earth before the flood.

I also liked "Angel Time" by Anne Rice. A hit man from New Orleans meets his guardian angel, and gets sent by him back in time to thirteenth century England to redeem himself. Interesting.

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, my book is about afterlife, angels and demons, but I can honestly say, it gets a lot of discrimination-from both Christians (which I consider myself) and non-Christians. It's apparently too Christian for non-Christians, and not Christian enough for Christians! The feedback is that it's a great story, and it gets great reviews-but it has some gritty parts, and some don't like them. For instance; I had someone complain the demons were too "horrible", and did bad things. (?) I honestly was kind of stunned by this. So I now market my book as a more Stephen King-like style of writing, so that everyone knows what to expect. It's been an interesting experience! Best described as a twisted Wizard of Oz meets the afterlife..

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Has anyone read C.S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce" or "Screwtape Letters"? I liked both of them. I tend to dislike a lot of writings about angels; too often the writing (especially books for kids) makes the mistake of making them too cute, or too worried about human life, or (my fave peeve) ex-humans themselves. ANGELS WERE NEVER HUMANS!! They were created by God as a different species, for a different purpose. Argh! I always want to write to those authors and ask them politely: "Ummm, excuse me, but have you read your Bible?? Don't write about spiritual issues if you don't know what you're talking about!" (sorry - private rant)

I know this is a sub-forum dealing with Christian literature but I wouldn't mind mentioning that there actually is precedent for the belief in the possibility of a human becoming an angel within the totality of Judaeo-Christian tradition and its rich profusion of sacred literature dealing with angels.

In the Third Book of Enoch, a part of the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, the Archangel Metatron responds to Rabbi Ishmael who asks why he is called 'Youth' in the heavenly heights.

Metatron replies; "Because I am Enoch, the son of Jared. When the generations of the Flood sinned and turned to evil deeds, and said to God, 'Go away! We do not choose to learn your ways,' the Holy One, blessed be he, took me from their midst to be a witness against them in the heavenly height to all who should come into the world, so that they should not say, 'The Merciful one is cruel!...........And the Holy One, blessed be he, appointed me in the height as a prince and a ruler among the ministering angels.' (3 Enoch 4:2-5)

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I had someone complain the demons were too "horrible", and did bad things. (?) I honestly was kind of stunned by this.
What did they want? The Lord of Flies buzzing into a childrens' hospital with stuffed toys and cup cakes?

Last edited:

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Ha Ha, yes , something like that. They apparently wanted the "warm fuzzy" kind of demon....In my opinion there aren't any like that. Mine were too "real"=evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.