Looking for Something to Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephenie Hovland

Since I started a new job this fall, I've had almost no time to read -- and no time to write. I'm working on the writing time, and now I want to squeeze some fiction reading in. I already read enough non-fiction through Bible study and my job. Any recommendations for either light Christian fiction (like Karon's Mitford series) or Young Adult Christian fiction? I want to focus on Christian fiction for a little while, since it is something I'd like to write - some day, when I have more time.

dub

I think I posted this elsewhere, but for what it is worth - Terri Blackstock's Cape Refuge series is a fun, quick read. She spins a well written Christian murder mystery.

Also, Alton Gansky, writes a deeper Christian mystery book, he has several out - Ship Possessed and Dark Moon are two of my favorites.

from the swamp - dub

Eowyn Eomer

The O'Malley series! I THOROUGHLY recommend it! Kind of a Christian/suspense/romance series. The focus is on this family with the last name O'Malley. Not a normal family, they were all orphans and met in an orphanage. They basically adopted each other and legally changed their last names to O'Malley.

None of them are Christians initially, but when the story begins, the youngest of the seven (three men and four women), Jennifer, has become a Christian and has been diagnosed with cancer and it has become her wish to see her family all come to Christ. So each book focuses in on one of the siblings. First Kate in "The Negotiator." She's a police hostage negotiator with the Chicago PD. Second Marcus in "The Guardian." He's a U.S. Marshal. Third Lisa in "The Truth Seeker." She's a forensic pathologist in Chicago. Fourth Jack in "The Protector." He's a Chicago firefighter. Fifth Rachel in "The Healer." She's a counselor with the Red Cross, specializing in counseling youth. And finally Stephen in "The Rescuer." He was a paramedic in Chicago through all the books prior, but by the time his book comes around, he's dealing with many hard things and feels he's lost his family as he's the only one still who hasn't become a Christian, so he kinda runs away. In each book they meet a member of the opposite sex who is a Christian whom they find themself falling in love with. Sounds a little cheesy when you think of it that way, but they're very good books. There was a prequel to the series called "Danger in the Shadows" which introduces you to the character Kate falls in love with in book 1. An FBI agent who is trying to protect his sister from the man who murdered their other sister when they were children.

CarryTheCross

Al Gansky is a good friend of mine. Anything Al puts pen to is good, especially The Prodigy...outstanding. Also James Scott Bell is a buddy, and a good one by Jim would either be Blind Justice or The Nephilim Seed. None of the above are especially "light" fare or even good for YA, but crackling good reads nonetheless. For something REALLY edgy I'd recommend Until the Last Dog Dies (RiverOak Publishing, came out in June 2004)...but since it's mine, modesty forbids me. :grin

John

Betty W01

The O'Malleys series ROCKS!! I also like the Uncommon Heroes series, by Dee Henderson.

The Red Thread, by Francine Rivers

The Firebird series [scifi] - Kathy Tyers

From Dust and Ashes; Night Song - Tricia Goyers' WWII novels

(My teen daughter liked From Dust and Ashes and is planning on reading the O'Malley series.)

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.