What will you do if Examiner.com decreases Pay Sharply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
First of all, this is totally a hypothetical question. I am not related to Examiner.com at all or I have not heard any rumor that it is going to decrease writers’ payment. I am impressed with the current pay rate of Examiner.com (1 cent for 1 page view?) and I believe that it is exceptionally good rate during the time of economic recession for a blog network/Online Newspaper/Content Site.
I am asking this question simply because a few months ago, Today.com first announced to give $5 per post and then they reduced it to $1 per post. You can find that thread here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106628
My question is that what you would do if similar thing happens to Examiner.com? Will you continue to write for them or stop?

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
First of all, this is totally a hypothetical question. I am not related to Examiner.com at all or I have not heard any rumor that it is going to decrease writers’ payment. I am impressed with the current pay rate of Examiner.com (1 cent for 1 page view?) and I believe that it is exceptionally good rate during the time of economic recession for a blog network/Online Newspaper/Content Site.
I am asking this question simply because a few months ago, Today.com first announced to give $5 per post and then they reduced it to $1 per post. You can find that thread here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106628
My question is that what you would do if similar thing happens to Examiner.com? Will you continue to write for them or stop?

There's a big difference here between Today and Examiner. Today pays upfront for the work. Examiner pays mostly on PV's/Ads/original hits combined. I don't think they'll get hit the same way the places that pay upfront do. Examiner has some pretty smart people behind it...I'm not sayin' anything...but I think things are actually going to look better for the writers of Examiner, not worse. Just sayin'.

That said, I would wait until the time comes to decide. The nice thing is that all these articles we're writing belong to the writers at Examiner...so we can do almost anything and not go wrong. Today.com owns the first however-many-words you write on every blog - hence the upfront pay.

dwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I think 1 cent a page view is already pretty low, to tell you the truth. If Examiner did go any lower, I'd probably stop writing. I did stop writing for Today.com when that network lowered its pay.

For me, any writing really is about the money. I enjoy writing, but I also use it to support my family. Right now, Examiner.com is a bit of an experiment for me. I'm trying to see if I can build it up to where it does bring in a solid -- certainly it won't ever be spectacular at 1 penny a page-view -- monthly income. So far, it's not quite happening. But I'll keep at it for now.

Dan
My adventures in content writing

KEllis

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it for me at their present rate, though the current rate is higher than most sites that pay based on CPM. If their sites grow to the point of having hundreds of thousands (or millions) of pageviews per month per section (like About.com for example), then I'd imagine they will change their pay model to a lower CPM accompanied by a small base pay.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
FWIW, Today.com pays $1/post on some blogs but not all. The majority of their network is paid $2/2,000 page views. If you're signed on with the pay-per-post option, they drop you with little warning to the page views program after a couple months.

dwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Jen is right about Today.com. I'd stay far away from them. I signed on for pay-per-post with them and was suddenly dropped to $2 for 1,000 views. Worst of all, Today.com gave me no warning. It didn't seem to matter that the page views on my blogs were steadily increasing.

That said, Today.com does include language when you sign up that bloggers' pay rates can be changed according to performance. Still, $2 for 1,000 views seems like an insultingly bad deal. I was amazed that so many people on the Today.com forums looked at it as an inspiration to boost their page views. You'd need 30,000 views in a month to make $60. That's a lot of page views!

Dan
My blog on content writing

norfolkfoodexaminer

Norfolk Org. Food Examiner
Registered
Reaction score
Examiner.com

I've only been doing examiner.com for two weeks, so it's too early for any solid stats, so far I'm making $0.08 per article, which is not very encouraging! I've looked at the 4 sites I write for on a regular basis, and prioritized them by income. Examiner is #3, so I don't spend much time with it.

Thanks to everyone who shared their input. I was planning to appy at Today.com, but I think I will pass based on the information in this thread.

Regards,

Donna

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I do things for free all the time when the end result is charitable, or at least non-profit. I have a problem for working for free when the organisers are in it for money. That smacks of exploitation.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I do things for free all the time when the end result is charitable, or at least non-profit. I have a problem for working for free when the organisers are in it for money. That smacks of exploitation.

I said 'get', not 'do'. Review items and such. Heck no, working for free is nuts!

MrsHannigan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
GypsyMom.com
Hmm- I was just accepted at Examiner- $10/1000 isn't quite what I'm getting at Suite101 but it's way better than the AC $2-3/1000 and the Bukisa $3.42/1000

Status
Not open for further replies.