Six Of The Scariest Books Ever

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have anymore books to add? I'm looking for new titles to read. Thanks.
Full Dark, No Stars, King's latest (or one of his latest), is, in my opinion, one of his best. It's a collection of a hand full of short stories/novellas that are darker than the grave. The stories may not necessarily be scary, but they are evil and oh, so good.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Full Dark, No Stars, King's latest (or one of his latest), is, in my opinion, one of his best. It's a collection of a hand full of short stories/novellas that are darker than the grave. The stories may not necessarily be scary, but they are evil and oh, so good.

I've been meaning to get that one.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I second "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill. Finally got it and devored it in two days. Haunting, literally.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Didn't anyone read Desperation by Stephen King? That's by far his scariest work.
Deadlock is pretty 'effing scary too.

Did you read the companion book, THE REGULATORS? All the same character names but they're different people. TERRIFIED me.

I think THE STAND is scarier than THE SHINING. I hated THE ROAD; it didn't scare me so much as make me ill and depressed. A book that will make you wonder what's the point of it all. I had to read it for a class and I will never read it again.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of The Shining but it wasn't scary for me.

Steph

Worst.
Registered
Reaction score
I have read a few of these and they didn't do much for me.
The only book that ever scared me in my whole history of reading was American Psycho. I'm not sure why that got to me the most, but it did.

lindseyanne

Registered
Reaction score
The Shining was great but I agree with everyone here who says that King has written much scarier books. It should probably have a place on that list. The first time I read it there were nights where I stayed up until dawn reading it because I was too freaked out to put it down and face the dark.

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
"Gerald's Game"-King. I didn't find The Stand scary, in fact I've read it like ten times, I LOVELOVELOVE it. "Christine" was pretty freaky too though.

Darren Frey

Banned
Reaction score
one of my english teachers in college called The Stand her opinion of the great american horror novel. The only King books Ive read are The Shining and Carrie. I thought the movies were better than the books. I know they are both different but I found them to be better. I found parts of Memnoch The Devil by Anne Rice to be scary as well.

SeymourPats

Registered
Reaction score
1. Ghost Story by Peter Straub (it's one of the few books that kept me up at night)
2. Almost anything by Stephen King (I'd pick The Shining and Gerald's Game as two of his scariest)
3. The Exorcist
4/5. Lord of the Dead and Slave of My Thirst by Tom Holland

readme

Registered
Reaction score
titles always left out of horror lists: but must reads

List taken from Simple Living Magazine. Have any of you read these titles? Thoughts? Opinions?

1. The Exorcist-William Peter Blatty
2.The Haunting of Hill House-Shirley Jackson
3.The House on The Borderland-William Hope Hodgson
4.Our Lady of Darkness-Fritz Leiber
5.The Shining-Stephen King
6.The Monk-Matthew Lewis

Also, what scary books would you recommend? :) And yes I do know scariest has one R. If a Mod could change that in the thread title I would be ever so happy :)
yes, I agree. The Shining made me physically sick for the two weeks I was reading it. It wasn't the horror scenes as much as the build up.
But, I am surprised no one has mentioned the original VC Andrews BOOKs.
Flowers in the Attic first series, (except Garden of Shadows which was A GHOST WRITER and POSTHUMOUS)....these books are lovely yet super disturbing...and of course her stand alone MY SWEET AUDRINA....
I also just found, which I cannot wait to read IRA LEVIN'S THE BOYS OF BRAZIL
since I enjoyed his other 70's horror novels....
and one more is ANNE RICE'S BEAUTY SERIES...I couldnt finish the last one it was too much for me...