Roman question

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't had any luck finding the answer to this one.

Would the wife of a Tetrarch have a title contemporaries might use when speaking of her, or is she just "the Tetrarch's wife"?

Specifically, it's the wife of Pheroras, Tetrarch of Pereae about 10BC. Not really a huge deal as it's not necessary to the story, it's just the sort of little detail I'd like to put in.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
I'm no 100% on this, but I doubt she would have a matching title.

Tetrarch was a magisterial title with defined authority...and to my knowledge no other magistracies (consul, praetor, prefect, governor, etc) came with a feminine equivalent for the wife, with the possible exception of rex and regina (king and queen).

Honorific titles, on the other hand, were open to women (Augustus' wife, Livia, was granted the title Augusta, for example).

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
No, there wasn't a feminine title to denote a Tetrarch's wife. At the most, she would be referred to as wife of the Tetrarch or wife of Pheroas. Most people would know her by her married name if she were prominent enough in the city to be readily familiar to the populace.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
no, the only time I remember a wife having any sort of responsibilities was when Caesar was the religious leader and his wife was in charge of that women's only new year's ritual. Sorry it's been a couple of semesters so I don't have any names.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks and reps to all. I guess that explains why I couldn't find anything other than the occasional Empress.