Pingback?

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
A pingback (also called a trackback) is where someone links to your blog post and that that blog automatically sends your blog a notification that it's been linked to, usually in a form similar to a comment.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Here's a linky to the Wordpress Definition of a pingback and trackback. Basically what bsolah says, except for a couple tiny differences between the two.

If the link doesn't work for you, you can access it by creating a new post in your blog and then clicking the link next to 'Allow Pingbacks and Trackbacks'.

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
No, pingler is a site that pings various search engines and other services letting them know that your blog has been updated. It is not exclusive to blogs, so any website can - and should - ping the major SEs when they update. One of my sites pings 90 some sites around the world every time I update it (which is every day). Many of them are the various versions of Google and Yahoo in other countries. Since my site is international in scope, I want to rank not only on the US Google, but also on the Australian one, the Italian one, the UK one, etc.

If you run your site through feedburner, it has a ping feature that you can toggle. Likewise, Wordpress and Joomla have plugins that allow you to insert the SEs you want pinged when you update.