College years?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Ok, so this isn't precisely story research, but I really need to know ASAP. What is a freshman, sophomore, junior, senior? If I've studied 4 semesters (2 years) of college, that makes me a ____ ?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the university. Normally, freshman = first year, sophomore = second, junior = third, senior = fourth. A year is usually two semesters, so someone who has studied for four semesters has probably completed their sophomore year and is going on to junior.

However, some universities may mark your "year" based on the number of credit hours you've completed. If you've completed extra coursework or gone into the university with advanced placement credit, your "year" might be higher than what would appear based on how long you've attended.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the US, I don't think college students think as much in terms of being freshman, sophomore, etc. as they do in high school. I never did. It was generally how far along you were in your major; second year English major, for example.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Yeah, it's that I have to select from a checklist in my application. Why can't you just number your years like normal people do? :(

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
In the US, it's going to come down to the number of credits you've acquired, not necessarily the number of semesters you've studied. However, if you had COMPLETED full four semesters and were "on track," I'd call you a junior. If you were still IN your fourth semester, I'd call you a sophomore.

Again, it does depend on the situation, though. A friend of mine, for example, was in her eighth semester and was technically a senior. However, she called herself a junior because she changed majors late in the game and needed to be in school an extra year.

ETA: Cross-posted! I'd check "junior," unless they have some kind of credit-conversion chart available.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's that I have to select from a checklist in my application. Why can't you just number your years like normal people do? :(
In that case, if you've completed four full-time semesters, just check junior.