Quick question - publishing WIP excerpt in a school lit mag

Status
Not open for further replies.

peachiemkey

circuits in the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

So, I'm the editor-in-chief of my high school's literary magazine. It's only our third year, it's very casual, we've never gotten any awards or anything. Submissions are collected from throughout the school, and the mag is printed and distributed to teachers and students once a year around May.

Despite my title, the thing I want to submit is not exactly an 'excerpt' from my WIP - it's actually the 1500-word short story off of which I based my WIP.

When I started the book, that piece was cut up into three sections and distributed into different spots in the beginning chapters. It was generally changed, and reworded. The romantic interest's name changed, and when that interest dies, it's not from cancer but from a car accident. Still, not everything was cut up or changed. I'd say there are a good four or five paragraphs that are exactly the same, and about 2/3 of it (if you gathered all the parts together) is pretty close.

I don't know if I'm making any sense, but this is my question: Is it okay for me to publish that first short story in the lit mag without worrying about copyright laws, or whatever, should my current WIP get published? I'm hoping it's fine because it's just a high school lit mag, but I want to make sure. Thanks!

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
If it's your original writing and you own copyright it's up to you how or what part you print. I've seen the question answered here before. Lots of Books and films started life as a short story. Hope that's helpful. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.