English/Irish relations

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing your explanation of why I was hassled. What else would it be if not that? Why would they ask if I was born in Canada, where my parents were born, when did my family come to Canada, how much of my family was still in Ireland, what sort of connections I have in Ireland, when was the last time I was in Ireland, etc. I wasn't asked when the last time I was in England, the US or France, etc. I wasn't asked how much of my family still lives in England or when that half of my family came from England. The only thing I was asked about, repeatedly and in many different ways, was the Irish connections. If you have another explanation, I'd love to hear it.

All right, all right. If you chose to believe it was because you have Irish ancestry/family, go ahead, if it makes you happy.

I think you're being over-sensitive. For all we know, the security staff could be making polite conversation, they are known to do that. As for being searched, it happens, regardless of what your last name is. I was searched at Philly a couple of years ago. I can't say that I was bent out of shape over it. Times have changed, like it or not, no one trusts anyone when it comes to air travel anymore, regardless of their ancestry.

I just don't think this kind of attitude helps anyone. Apart from the idiots insisting that the Apprentice Boys parade still has to march through the Catholic section of Derry, most people have tried to move on. That's what Stormont is for, that's why Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness have been pushing for continued peace and keeping the dialogue going.

The bad old days are over, apart from a few morons on both sides who insist on clinging to the old ways.

There's a huge Irish presence in England, there has been for a long time. The term "No Irish welcome here" is long dead.

flannelberry

Registered
Reaction score
Shopkeepers asking if you were Irish was, simply, a matter of making polite conversation. If you wish to believe otherwise, that's your choice.

I was posting as you were editing so I missed the second half of your post.

Shop keepers were, by and large, making conversation, I totally agree. However there were times when that was not the case - when dh was served, for example and I was not -after being asked.

I actually was amazed - as I said - but I wasn't angry. I could certainly understand it given what had been happening in the last six or so months before we arrived.

As far as this:
The world has moved on. Deal with it.

I'm sorry, that is just rude (as were some of the other responses). I have been a member of this board for years and have only mentioned it this one time, in context. I'm hardly harbouring some big anti-English grudge. A question was asked and answered. I'm not sure what that irks you so horribly.

flannelberry

Registered
Reaction score
For all we know, the security staff could be making polite conversation, they are known to do that.
<snip>

I just don't think this kind of attitude helps anyone.

I don't get why you are so invested in denying my experience. I have a bit of experience in the world and I have a pretty fair understanding between polite conversation and not.

I also see no point in denying when things like this happen. I certainly don't have an anti-English, won't ever go back grudge so I'm not sure what the purpose of denying the experience would be.

Bowing out.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Flannelberry, maybe you were hassled for having an Irish name. But, honestly, flying and security is simply a hassle any way you cut it. I got pulled aside and wanded once, too, and I'm a nice little white American girl who couldn't beat up a 10 year old. This was in Baltimore, btw. You may be personalizing the experience when it was nothing personal. With that, I don't know know exactly what happened, so you know lots more about it than I do.