Game: How Well Do You Know Your MC?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Kindle was part of an experiment that messed up and now she can't sleep. So I'd say neither. Before the experiment I'd say she was a night owl.

Is your character an introvert or extrovert?

Sollluna

keyboards: useful for typing errors
Registered
Reaction score
Is your character an introvert or extrovert?

Cat used to be an introvert before the accident. Now she is an extrovert. Or, at least, she's pretending to be, and if she keeps it up for long enough maybe that will make it true. Change is hard.

If your MC had a giant cardboard box (like fridge size or similar), what would they do with it? (build a fort, pack to move, crush it for recycling, make a puppet theatre, live in it in an alley, wonder why on Earth they have a giant box...)

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
MC from 40,000 years ago: he wouldn't know what to make of a cardboard box, but he'd be utterly fascinated by it. He'd climb in and out of it for a while, then wonder if it'd be good to sleep in. He'd notice it's not waterproof but might put animal furs over it to see if that would help. Ultimately it wouldn't be good to live in as it's not fireproof. He'd do his very best to keep it dry and not let it burn, and probably keep things in it. Not sure how long he'd be able to have sole use of it as his people would be fascinated by it and, being hunter-gatherers, he'd be expected to share it. The kids would want to play with it and people would want to use it for keeping stuff in. It'd probably get worn out after not too long, but they'd keep it for posterity because no-one's seen the like of such a curious object before. Future generations might consider it to have some kind of spiritual significance (if it survived that long) and it'd live on in their stories for a great many generations.

Cloned Neandertal MC from 2055: He'd probably do something a bit crazy with it like see if he can use it to sled down the stairs. Or maybe try to make it into a go cart and cart down a steep hill in it. It'd probably be destroyed before too long, but he'd recycle what's left of it.

What advice would your MC give to their younger self?

Sollluna

keyboards: useful for typing errors
Registered
Reaction score
What advice would your MC give to their younger self?

Cat would say there is more to life than grades. She would definitely say not to stress about it, although probably somewhat wistfully for when grades used to be enough to cause panic attacks. She wishes that was still her biggest stress.

Does your character keep things neat and tidy, or are they a messy slob, or somewhere in-between?

writergirl1994

Registered
Reaction score
Well, considering how well Taxes knows his brother, he's never considered Death as much of a threat.

What sort of disturbing things grace your MC's nightmares?
My MC has PTSD, and he has a lot of dreams about home invasions and sexual assault.

QUESTION: What movies scared your MC as a kid?

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
Cat would say there is more to life than grades. She would definitely say not to stress about it, although probably somewhat wistfully for when grades used to be enough to cause panic attacks. She wishes that was still her biggest stress.

Does your character keep things neat and tidy, or are they a messy slob, or somewhere in-between?

Cloned Neandertal MC: He's somewhere in between. Not particularly tidy or particularly messy.

MC from 40,000 years ago; he doesn't have many things, but what he does have he keeps tidy and organised. He needs to know where his tools are and keep wood for the fire separate from wood for making arrows. He takes only what he needs from the environment, so there isn't surplus to be stored. Just the tools he needs for his daily life, which he takes good care of.

My MC has PTSD, and he has a lot of dreams about home invasions and sexual assault.

QUESTION: What movies scared your MC as a kid?
I think you accidentally replied to a post in on the first page not the most recent one, but I'll answer your question as well :D Double the fun!

Cloned Neandertal MC: this story is set in 2055, so the times he sneak-watched horror films and terrified himself, they'd be films that haven't come out yet. I expect that 2045 Dr Who would be just as scary for a 5 yr old as 1980 Dr Who was :D

MC from 40,000 years ago: obviously films didn't exist then but some of the elders told some scary stories around the fire. The one about the little boy who got lost in the woods and eaten by wolves was the scariest.

Who's had the biggest influence on your MC's life so far?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Kindle's parents. They taught her how to sow and medical practice which are two of the biggest things that make up who she is.

Does your MC have any kind of jewelry they wear?

Iris Tea

Registered
Reaction score
Hymnal: Yes, he wears a golden bracelet and a red string bracelet on his right wrist at all times. He won't usually wear any other jewelry unless there's a special occasion where he needs to display his wealth, in which he may wear an expensive watch, rings, necklaces, etc.

What would your MC do if the person they care about the most suddenly disappeared?

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
I think we accidentally went back to the beginning and missed Iris Tea's question:

Hymnal: Yes, he wears a golden bracelet and a red string bracelet on his right wrist at all times. He won't usually wear any other jewelry unless there's a special occasion where he needs to display his wealth, in which he may wear an expensive watch, rings, necklaces, etc.

What would your MC do if the person they care about the most suddenly disappeared?
Meg believes she suffers from schizoaffective disorder but in reality is being manipulated by her psychiatrist, who is not at all what he seems.

What is your MC’s worst fear?

So I'm going to answer both questions!

MC from 40,000 years ago:

Iris's question: not sure if I know who the person they care about the most would actually be, there are several possible people - but whoever it is he'd go looking for them and not accept that they just disappeared. If after enough days, moons, seasons they are never found, he might think they'd been eaten by wolves or something, and be really sad.

Dickson's question: him or someone he knows being eaten by something like a wolf or a bear.

How many languages can your MC speak, and what languages are they?

Reactions: dickson

Tabitha Shelton

Registered
Reaction score
That was my bad. I didn't realize I wasn't at the end.
Ember: Only one, and that is English, but she is aware of some terms from ASL.
Who is closest to your MC and what kind of relationship is it?

Reactions: llyralen

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I think we accidentally went back to the beginning and missed Iris Tea's question:

So I'm going to answer both questions!

MC from 40,000 years ago:

Iris's question: not sure if I know who the person they care about the most would actually be, there are several possible people - but whoever it is he'd go looking for them and not accept that they just disappeared. If after enough days, moons, seasons they are never found, he might think they'd been eaten by wolves or something, and be really sad.

Dickson's question: him or someone he knows being eaten by something like a wolf or a bear.

Meg speaks English, Welsh, non-human languages Honksuhyah, Lannsuhyah, Vitch, and several more whose names I never learn, some of them non-verbal. More than a dozen by the end, all fluently.

What does your MC like for breakfast when he can get it?

PS: I can relate to his fear of being eaten by a bear now we have game camera footage of a full-grown one sauntering through our backyard early one morning this past week.

llyralen

Registered
Reaction score
I’m excited to get to know my MC better by going through this thread!

1. MC Mother tongue: Noralbingian (a dialect of Saxon).
2. Then Norwegian (Norwegian in the time period). She learns the younger Futhark for writing.
3. She picks up Irish from a family she works with who teaches her a bit of Latin, enough to read messages and maps.

4. Danish from the time period (fairly different from Norwegian back then— enough to be a separate language.

Edit: There are more questions.

Closest person: At first her closest person is her foster-father. He dies, then a male friend, then her husband, then probably her granddaughter.

Breakfast: they eat barley with fruit and pieces of meat in it for breakfast and she likes it fine. Her favorite food, btw is salmon jaws and red currants.

New question:
What is your character’s favorite piece of clothing or jewelry?

Last edited:

Tabitha Shelton

Registered
Reaction score
What is your character’s favorite piece of clothing or jewelry?
Ember: It would most likely be her metal, bulky belt, but not really because she likes the style of it. More like, she had it for ten years and it was a large part of the key to her survival while she lived on the streets.
Next question:
What would be the first thing your MC do if they were allowed to do anything?

llyralen

Registered
Reaction score
Ember: It would most likely be her metal, bulky belt, but not really because she likes the style of it. More like, she had it for ten years and it was a large part of the key to her survival while she lived on the streets.
Next question:
What would be the first thing your MC do if they were allowed to do anything?
MC 1: Would become a travelling bard.
MC2: Would go walrus and seal hunting with the boys.
MC3: Would get to mother a baby girl.

New: What was your MCs favorite pet ever?

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
MC 1: Would become a travelling bard.
MC2: Would go walrus and seal hunting with the boys.
MC3: Would get to mother a baby girl.

New: What was your MCs favorite pet ever?

Cloned Neandertal MC from 2055: it's not technically speaking his pet, as it doesn't belong to him or live in his house, but the husband of the man who cloned him keeps 3 rescued ravens* - they converted a large room and balcony in their home into an aviary - and the man who cloned my MC is a kind of additional father figure of sorts.. he and his husband are like rich indulgent uncles. So the MC is very close to these ravens and has an affinity towards ravens anyway, on account of archaeological evidence for ravens/black-feathered birds having some kind of importance in Neandertal culture, and because lots of people aren't aware that ravens are highly intelligent and can speak - kind of like Neandertals. He would struggle to pick a favourite out of the three of them though.

*one of them was rehomed from the Tower of London for causing mayhem and swearing at tourists

MC from 40,000 years ago: domestic animals aren't a thing yet (granted the exact dates for when wolves were first domesticated aren't certain and some estimates suggest it could go back this far, but if any were domesticated back then it wasn't by my MC's people). However if you were to suggest to him that he could be friends with a non-human animal, he'd want to be friends with a falcon.

Your MC is given a large cardboard box. What would they do with it?

llyralen

Registered
Reaction score
@neandermagnon I would totally read those books. I bet you know tons about Neanderthals and I’d love to learn from your books! I love the raven and 2055 cloned idea! I had to say…

I also love this thread!

MC #1. Would think to make herself a hideout in the woods. She would probably put mud and branches around the box— thinks of it like wattle and dab, except it’s not as good for that purpose, so she abandons that idea and decides to use it for rune spells and messages to her friend. Actually it’s great for rune sticks. She could make her own taafl board! She turns it into a game board and pieces that she wouldn’t have had money for!

MC #2. Would be a bit baffled, but wouldn’t want to waste it. It’s not adorned and quite flimsy. The idea of wanting something disposable is bizarre— which I’ve never thought about! She thinks she could either give it to her mom to figure out. Oh! Or she could lay it out flat, maybe cover it in lacquer, or maybe whale intestine so it is reusable and use it as a sleigh to hall stuff behind her pony over the snow.

MC#3. Cardboard boxes are good for storing clothes you can’t wear when you’re pregnant. :)

Oh my gosh, that question was awesome. Making my pre-cardboard peeps get creative!

New question: When was your MC the most sick or ill? If they were treated, what was their treatment?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: neandermagnon

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
@neandermagnon I would totally read those books. I bet you know tons about Neanderthals and I’d love to learn from your books! I love the raven and 2055 cloned idea! I had to say…

I also love this thread!

MC #1. Would think to make herself a hideout in the woods. She would probably put mud and branches around the box— thinks of it like wattle and dab, except it’s not as good for that purpose, so she abandons that idea and decides to use it for rune spells and messages to her friend. Actually it’s great for rune sticks. She could make her own taafl board! She turns it into a game board and pieces that she wouldn’t have had money for!

MC #2. Would be a bit baffled, but wouldn’t want to waste it. It’s not adorned and quite flimsy. The idea of wanting something disposable is bizarre— which I’ve never thought about! She thinks she could either give it to her mom to figure out. Oh! Or she could lay it out flat, maybe cover it in lacquer, or maybe whale intestine so it is reusable and use it as a sleigh to hall stuff behind her pony over the snow.

MC#3. Cardboard boxes are good for storing clothes you can’t wear when you’re pregnant. :)

Oh my gosh, that question was awesome. Making my pre-cardboard peeps get creative!

New question: When was your MC the most sick or ill? If they were treated, what was their treatment?
Meg had mumps at age eight. It left her permanently deaf in one ear.

What does your MC most enjoy reading?

Tabitha Shelton

Registered
Reaction score
What does your MC most enjoy reading?
Ember: She never really had a lot of chances to read. The only thing she had read were children's books and that was mostly to try and calm an excited child down.

If your MC could go into a fictional world, where would they go and why?

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
Ember: She never really had a lot of chances to read. The only thing she had read were children's books and that was mostly to try and calm an excited child down.

If your MC could go into a fictional world, where would they go and why?
Meg would most likely go into a world in which she never again had to hear voices in her head that were not her own.

If your MC could have any tool she desired, what would that be? Bonus points for why she wants it!

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
Meg would most likely go into a world in which she never again had to hear voices in her head that were not her own.

If your MC could have any tool she desired, what would that be? Bonus points for why she wants it!

40,000 years ago MC: he'd like a tool that lights a fire instantly. He's very good at starting a fire without such a tool - he has a perfectly good firestone (piece of iron pyrite) and flint isn't hard to come by where he's living, but it's time consuming and dependent on finding something dry and fine enough to be good tinder. But if he had a device that could just light some kindling just like that, even when it's damp, he'd love that.

Cloned Neandertal MC: He'd like a tool that would enable him to travel back in time and see his people. The Homo sapiens people in his life are lovely, but he's got very little in the way of connection with his own people and culture. Archaeology can only tell you a few sparse details - the rest is lost.

Your MC has been placed alone on an uninhabited tropical island with no technology for 2 days. There's a spring with clean water and an abundance of fruit to eat. The weather forecast is good and it's warm and dry enough to not need shelter. How does your MC feel and what do they spend their 2 days doing?

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
Your MC has been placed alone on an uninhabited tropical island with no technology for 2 days. There's a spring with clean water and an abundance of fruit to eat. The weather forecast is good and it's warm and dry enough to not need shelter. How does your MC feel and what do they spend their 2 days doing?
Melody: Spend the mornings swimming, lounging in the shade, or seeing what fauna she can find. She'd probably also spend a fairly decent amount of time asleep, because she's almost never alone in her dreams. Of course, sometimes being alone is preferable to the beings she meets when she's dreaming...

Rulon: Use the reflective water to keep an eye on the people he cares about, and to communicate with his family. He'd also likely stew over how this was probably just one more thing that was his father's fault.

Rayna: Also spend a lot of time swimming. She'd likely see if she could rig up some type of "basketball" hoop and use coconuts to continue practicing. Later, she'd regret the amount of time she spent in the water and sun, because she'd burn like mad.

If your MC were to accidentally mess up the timeline of history, how would they do it, and what would their reaction be when they realized what they'd done?

• Love
Reactions: Sage

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
If your MC were to accidentally mess up the timeline of history, how would they do it, and what would their reaction be when they realized what they'd done?
I really didn't want to reply to my own question, but since it's been almost a year....

Abigail: Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. 18 April, 1775, Old North Church in Boston, MA. It made quite a mess. On the plus side, she learned what really happened with the "shot heard 'round the world."

What’s the best compliment your MC has ever received?

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
Figured I'd answer both questions as I missed your post before!

Melody: Spend the mornings swimming, lounging in the shade, or seeing what fauna she can find. She'd probably also spend a fairly decent amount of time asleep, because she's almost never alone in her dreams. Of course, sometimes being alone is preferable to the beings she meets when she's dreaming...

Rulon: Use the reflective water to keep an eye on the people he cares about, and to communicate with his family. He'd also likely stew over how this was probably just one more thing that was his father's fault.

Rayna: Also spend a lot of time swimming. She'd likely see if she could rig up some type of "basketball" hoop and use coconuts to continue practicing. Later, she'd regret the amount of time she spent in the water and sun, because she'd burn like mad.

40,000 years ago MC: I'm not sure there would be any consequences as there's no history yet (as in a written record of the past). If he were to go back into the past to an earlier time, his people wouldn't be in the same place and I don't think he'd have a frame of reference to know this was a different time and not just that this is a different place (the landscape won't be the same, e.g. the plants would all be different and stuff, even if some of the major features like lakes, hills etc might be roughly the same). He'd be sad because he wouldn't know how to get back to his people. If he did get back to his time, place and people, he would think he'd been temporarily transported to a different place. I'm not sure he'd be able to mess anything up.

Cloned Neandertal MC: he'd go back 40,000 years to the time and place where the man they cloned him from lived, so he can meet his genetic family. He'd have to be really careful not to influence his genetic family's lives in such a way as to stop them from burying his "twin brother" in the cave where he was buried, otherwise he wouldn't exist. He also wouldn't have any way to communicate with them, and they might find it really bizarre that this man who looks like one of their people, but who's wearing strange attire of the like they've never seen before, is suddenly among them. So he'll probably only watch them from a distance. However, if he could find a way to make Neandertals be favoured by natural selection while Homo sapiens goes extinct, he'd seriously consider it... until he'd remember that he wouldn't exist if he did that.

I really didn't want to reply to my own question, but since it's been almost a year....

Abigail: Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. 18 April, 1775, Old North Church in Boston, MA. It made quite a mess. On the plus side, she learned what really happened with the "shot heard 'round the world."

What’s the best compliment your MC has ever received?

40,000 years ago MC: when his mother's man recognises his skill at hunting with a bow and arrow, after most of his people don't really notice and think he's not going to be a good hunter as he's not good at throwing spears

cloned Neandertal MC:
probably when he's playing ice hockey, after he becomes famous for being the world's only Neandertal, one of his favourite hockey players says on a media platform that he's got a really good head for strategic play, because up until that point everyone's focusing on his physical strength and things more stereotypically related to Neandertals

What pets / animal companions (companions of a different species if your MC is not human) does your MC have?

Reactions: KennyIsArlos