Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
This is an experiment. And yes, it's for exactly what the thread-description says it's for. So that those of us weirdos who LIKE a rousing discussion about politics and religion over an otherwise civilized meal have a place where we can talk about fundamental differences, similarities, and oddities...without invading anyone's territory and so inadvertently causing offense.

So welcome to our new room. We're still in the construction process, so if you have something you'd like us to be thinking about as we define this new space on AW, please feel free to chime right in. You can PM me privately, if you're shy. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First!

Looks nice. I like the stained glass :)

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy, This is going to be fun to watch:popcorn:

Richard

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
This should be interesting......:popcorn:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Callalily61 brought snickerdoodles, which are my favorite kind of cookie, right behind gingersnaps. I might just build her her very own room. :D

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Will psychoanalysts come to eat dinner here as well? I mean, we could invite them...

AMC

ETA: OK I brought some more dessert. Rice pudding? I'm a little poor right now. Forgive me.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I almost made this a subforum in Colorado Guy's Critical Theory room.

Upon further consideration, though, Critical Theory might arguably be better classified as a subforum in the religions area, actually...

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Callalily61 brought snickerdoodles, which are my favorite kind of cookie, right behind gingersnaps. I might just build her her very own room. :D
But I brought hot-buttered rum, ahem, your favorite. :D

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Haggis. it's under lock and key

Richard

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I've belonged to some religious debate forums over the years so here's my little input.

1. Perhaps explain how to approach a religion without discussing the participating members.
2. One of my pet peeves: I really and I mean really get twitchy when the definition of "cult" and what constitutes a cult or cultist isn't clearly defined. I've seen so many flame wars start from that one word and it ends up dividing the best of friends.

Yep, that's it for me. Do we need a coffee and cookies stand? :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*checks out the sacramental wine in the back room*

*hits the little undead doggie on the nose with a rolled-up copy of a Dead Sea Scroll*

MacAllister, a question: Should there be an intro thread in which we all say where we're coming from and perhaps why?

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I've belonged to some religious debate forums over the years so here's my little input.

1. Perhaps explain how to approach a religion without discussing the participating members.
2. One of my pet peeves: I really and I mean really get twitchy when the definition of "cult" and what constitutes a cult or cultist isn't clearly defined. I've seen so many flame wars start from that one word and it ends up dividing the best of friends.

I'd suggest avoiding "you" and "they" in general.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
*pulls up a chair off in a far corner of the place*

:popcorn:

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves: I really and I mean really get twitchy when the definition of "cult" and what constitutes a cult or cultist isn't clearly defined. I've seen so many flame wars start from that one word and it ends up dividing the best of friends.

When my parents go to Church they say, "We are on our way to the cult." Their pastor even describes the Church as a cult. Maybe it's a Spanish thing?

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
MacAllister, a question: Should there be an intro thread in which we all say where we're coming from and perhaps why?
Great idea. I've started and stickied a thread for just that.

*pulls up a chair off in a far corner of the place*

:popcorn:
BOK bok bok BWOK bok B-bwOK

Deleted member 42

When my parents go to Church they say, "We are on our way to the cult." Their pastor even describes the Church as a cult. Maybe it's a Spanish thing?

The Romans, who referred to various religious sects of their own that were completely socially acceptable as cults, referred to Judaism and Christianity as cults.

Within non-Christian realms, the ancient Celts absolutely had cults, most notably the cult of the severed head.

In modern terms there are a number of lists that have items that relate to potential socio-political definitions of cults in religious contexts. I note that "cult" is one of the most popular ways to dismiss "the other" in contemporary religious contexts, so yes, it's a potential problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Cult in of itself isn't a bad word. It's the usage of it that causes the problem. We often used it in our studies at the University of Cape Town along with referring to religious beliefs as myths. Unfortunately not everyone understands this frame of reference.