Gardeners of AW, unite

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I used to have a Jack Russel Terrier. She was death to squirrels, moles, gophers. I never had problems with them or the raccoons that raided my neighbor's corn patch. Molly was the best fence I ever had but when she died it left a hole in my heart far worse than any hole in any fence. --s6

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mrsmig: Years ago my Dad built a critter proof garden for my Mom. The bottom two feet was a stacked stone wall. On top of that he put 3 foot high sections of corrugated metal, with the ridges running vertically. There were two wooden steps up and a wooden gate, also covered with the corrugated. The deer didn't want to jump a wall they couldn't see through. The squirrels and rabbits couldn't climb the corrugated, or eat through it. Inside were raised beds. It served her well for many years.

MM

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MaryMumsy, what an interesting solution. I'm not sure it'll work for my garden (the plot is next to a chain-link property fence which the squirrels like to use as a launch pad) but the idea of corrugated metal is one that hadn't occurred to me.

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I don't know if I can call myself a gardener or not, but I'm trying to create a container garden for my patio this year. I've always wanted my own garden and am really excited to get started.

I'm growing some things that are supposed to be beginner-friendly-- chives, basil, parsley, tomatoes (cherry and beefsteak), bell peppers, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. I also have a little rose bush that I'm nursing back to health.

Today, my basil started sprouting. Last night there was nothing and then today there were little bits of green everywhere! It was kind of amazing to see and I keep looking over at it just to see if it's grown any more lol

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I don't know if I can call myself a gardener or not, but I'm trying to create a container garden for my patio this year. I've always wanted my own garden and am really excited to get started.

I'm growing some things that are supposed to be beginner-friendly-- chives, basil, parsley, tomatoes (cherry and beefsteak), bell peppers, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. I also have a little rose bush that I'm nursing back to health.

Today, my basil started sprouting. Last night there was nothing and then today there were little bits of green everywhere! It was kind of amazing to see and I keep looking over at it just to see if it's grown any more lol

With lots of sunshine and plenty of water, basil will do very well. Just pinch it back when the blossoms start to appear and you'll have the makings for pesto well into the fall. In the right climate, chives are a perennial and will come back every year. I have an herb bed and the chives are usually the first to pop in the spring.

I'm attending a class on dish gardening this Saturday. I've made a fair number of dish gardens in the past but I'm hoping to pick up some pointers on plant selection, especially when it comes to succulents.

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
came home to a mailbox full of strawberry plants today. it is rainy windy and cold here. the weather won't hurt the strawberries but planting strawberries in the cold and wind will hurt me. putting them in the vegetable crisper until things warm up--s6

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:: opens up thread, blows off the dust ::

Anyone doing any gardening now that spring is finally, finally here?

My husband and I spent the last week cleaning up the yard. Since I wasn't at home most of 2017 (I was in NYC for work), the garden plots were neglected and overrun with weeds. I had to prune back my dwarf Japanese weeping cherry pretty sharply; it should have been pruned in the fall and was a mess. It looks much better now. I also tidied my herb bed, replanted the oregano and thyme that didn't winter over, pruned back the leggy rosemary and sage bushes and treated myself to a fennel plant and some lavender. We gave our two big sawgrass plants their annual crewcuts, raked out the garden beds and mulched them, and pulled up all the thistle plants that were taking over the veggie patch. We also officially threw in the towel on our fig tree: for the third year in a row, it has died back to the roots. We've tried three different methods of covering it for the winter but none worked. It would have probably grown back vigorously this summer, same as always, but since it will only bear fruit on two year-old wood, it was a lot of labor for nothing. So we dug it up and tossed it.

My veggie bed lay fallow all last year but sprouted a fine crop of thistles on its own. We pulled all those up, and my husband is supposed to build me a crop cage to protect my tomatoes against both deer and my nemesis, the local gray squirrel population. While I wait for him to do that, I got deck boxes started with radish, lettuce and pea seedlings. We are off to the Oregon coast next week to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but I'm hoping to get the in-ground veggies started before the month ends. I moved some hosta from a failed attempt at a border at the back of the yard into my ornamental garden next to the deck and installed a couple of new plants: a Brother Stefan hosta, a pair of Black Knight delphinium and some coreopsis. Everything looks very pretty and neat now.

So...how does your garden grow?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Two gardens down--mailbox garden weeded and planted with Shirley poppies, cosmos. snaps, purple robe, columbines and allium. The Day of the Triffids sweet pea is up and raring to go. I swear I heard it say "Feed me, Seymour!"

In the shade bed all but one hydrangea are sprouted. Neil Diamond the Rose barely made it. It is trimmed down to almost nothing. Fingers crossed. Only one fern made the winter but the Hostas all made it. They are very pretty right now, just uncurling. I planted a couple dozen yellow and sky blue pansies along the border. They won't last once it gets hot and today was in the mid eighties but they will drop seed for next year. Mini columbines that I bought on sale last autumn are in bloom--tiny little flowers on these, about thimble sized. Had to replace the ferns with 4 pots of white impatiens and coleus--the back of that particular bed is very shady.

Day off tomorrow--more to do! --s6

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I've been pruning like mad the last few weeks. I've finally convinced my dad that some of the trees and shrubs can be brought back under control with some heavy pruning and that it won't kill them off. He doesn't like pruning so most of our shrubs have gone up and up. It has been a slow process and there are still plants he won't let me touch. The lylac is gorgeous and the smell is lovely but you have to sit down and look up to even see them as the flowers are only at the top of the high shrub. We'll be gradually pruning the thick branches one every year so we can have some flower on the ground level again.

The one cold snap this winter killed off some of the perennials and the long slow approach of spring means that everything has decided to burst into leaf and flower RIGHT NOW. The garden is glorious right now but sorely lacking in pollinators. We barely saw any bees until two swarms arrived this very week.

The slugs too have quite gone mad. They missed most of the narcisses and crocusses this year thanks to the long cold but the'yre back now with a vengeance. They ate some of my irisses which is as near a declaration of war as you can get. Ecological slug pellets it is then.

Last year our buxus-shrubs were decimated in summer by buxus moth caterpillars. They're an invasive species, but then buxus is not native to these parts either. I'm not really attached to the buxus, but I'd rather not be replacing them all if I don't have to so we'll be experimenting this year with catching the caterpillars and feeding them to the turtles. Last year I collected about 100 caterpillars, this year they seem to be a lot earlier and I've already caught about 250. I am starting to wonder if this is a battle I can win, though.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone doing any gardening now that spring is finally, finally here?

"Finally" is the operative word here up in south-central Alaska. Winter wasn't terrible, not much snow, but temps pretty much ordinary. But it has taken a sloth's own time to warm up. Two nights ago it snowed at my house for about an hour. So this spring it's a struggle. Nothing in the ground yet, other than perennial flowers (which are now sprouting), but lots of starts in pots that need replanting.

God made Alaska to prove that Satan really does exist.

caw

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Been a tough summer, in general, for a lot of things. Worst of it were several nasty wind events that beat my pea vines all to hell. But I do have good summer squashes of three varieties, and a few good cucumbers. AND, today, I discovered that the potatoes are harvestable. Ate some baked this evening. Also harvested three good-sized rutabagas, which I will use in a crock-pot beef stew in the next two days or so.

Plus my standard bin of trash mushrooms, harvested from the woodlands near my house, is getting full. This thing I let rot all winter, and in spring, it provides this fantastic inky stinky mass of carbon-rich gunk that goes into the veggie beds. Plants go all apeshit over this stuff, and it is free for the expense of a little strolling exercise, which I need to do anyway. Mushrooms make about the best compost material ever.

And I found one last big strawberry yesterday, which I gave to my wife. She pronounced it acceptable.

caw

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a decent harvest.

I tried potatoes in a pot for the first time this year. The disobeying weather has rather put a dent in the attempt. I've got one plant remaining which is already astonishing and I'm planning to leave him a little longer.

The july-drought this summer has killed off nearly all things we transplanted earlier this year. The lawn actually survived thanks to the august rains, we are surprised. Most of my potted herbs are gone. Even the mediterrranean rockgarden plants had it tough and this is supposed to be their weather. Except for the thyme. It loved it, it thrived where all others dropped. It is three times the size it was in May. The other survivors are only slowly coming back with new green.

I actually won the first round against the invasive buxus-moth (500 caterpillars!) only to lose the second to the drought. Hah.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was pressed for time during the spring/summer, so I only put in a small veggie garden this year: five tomato plants, about 15 Italian green beans, two varieties of cuke, a single ancho pepper and basil. What the deer and squirrels didn't get, downpour after downpour all through July and August finished off. I got a couple handfuls of beans and a fair number of cukes, but that was it.

AstronautMikeDexter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelprocopiowrites.wordpress.com
I have a small garden but it's something I look forward to taking care of every year. This year I planted Roma tomatoes, bell peppers, a variety of hot peppers, garlic, onions, string beans, and basil. I'm just now starting to enjoy the crop - it's taken a while for the tomatoes to start ripening.

I was going to have zucchini too but the leaves were all eaten by critters and it died so that was great.

One thing I've found is that if you boil minced garlic and hot pepper flakes in water and then spray it on your plants, it will deter animals from eating it. Either the smell of the garlic repels them or the hot pepper flakes flavor is a signal to not go back, but it helps. Downside is that you have to keep applying it after it rains.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Surprisingly soggy summer here. It rains and rains. Very strange for western Kansas. There have been some surprises this year because of the rain--mainly Naked Ladies--a type of leafless pink lily that is dormant most of the time but pops up after heavy rain. They look like amaryllis but are winter hardy. Here, in my small town, they often show up in vacant lots where houses once stood or in forgotten flower beds. Crazy thing to see a concrete porch step fronting an empty lot that is houseless but bordered by a bed of bed of lilies and canna bulbs. In a mild spring, old roses, poppies and iris show up in unexpected places. There is a beautiful, fragrant but thorny, striped rose that scrambles over a barbed wire fence that surrounds a horse pasture a block down from my house. No house, just horses and the rose. --s6

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Today was potato harvest day. I grow usually five different varieties of potatoes, which vary a bit every year, in raised beds. Potatoes are one of the things that thrive in the otherwise difficult gardening climate we have here in south-central Alaska. They are ridiculously easy to grow, moose won't get near 'em, and they require little maintenance. And, stored properly, they keep. We have had potatoes through the winter as late as April of the following year.

This year I now have five large tubs of the beasts, probably well over 100 pounds total. But we eat a lot of 'em, and these freshly dug ones are of varieties you can't normally find in the grocery, and are fabulous. If you grow potatoes, I'd highly recommend a variety called All Red, which produces like mad and are really good. Bright red skins and pink interiors; they look like ham when you slice them up.

caw

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm...taters.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
HELP! my sister made a contribution to Arbor Foundation and rec'd 10 + baby trees just before Thanksgiving. Usually our hard freezes do not come until December but not this year. It snowed hard mid October and has been cold since.

I had a hell of a time planting the 210 daffodil and allium bulbs that were shipped the normal time--late October. The ground was not quite frozen but stiff enough to make an old lady have to wrestle the bulbs in. Now my sister has dumped the 10 trees on me!

I have a big lot, plenty of room, and in my exp. not all of these little trees will make it. I am not sure what to do. I asked the arbor foundation and they gave me advice-- they can be planted in winter, BUT frost will kill them if they are planted in dead winter. They thought I should heel the trees in but it looks to me like it is too late for that. 21* today but it will be up to the 40s for a few days this week and then the next winter storm rolls in--I am in the southern plains, just a little north of Wichita. Worse than snow, the wind is strong, dry and icy now.

What do you think? Put them in pots and stash them under my back porch or my sisters unheated garage,( my sister is not a faithful waterer); try to find a spot for them in my border until spring; take them out to our farm ground--about 40 miles from here-- and plant them along the creek? This last plan would be a pain but they would be protected from the wind and get water from time to time. Other than that, though, the deer and rabbits might find a buffet.

There are 3 redbuds--native to here and used to the weather; 2 Washington hawthorns, which I have read are more of a shrub; 3 white dogwoods which I really want; 2 ardent (?) crabapples; 2 crape myrtles--which probably won't make it anyway, they never do.

Anyway, Thanks for listening. If you have an idea please let me know--s6

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
My rock garden irisses are coming up! The feisty little splashes of colour is just what I need in this otherwise relatively drap winter. Bless their little purple hearts, they look even dashing in the first snow.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Time to wake this thread back up! It's almost summertime, for cryin' out loud!

My husband finally bent to my pleas to build me a squirrel-proof tomato enclosure. It's a thing of beauty and I'm praying it'll keep the yard rats from making off with my harvest, as they've done for the past several years. Since they don't seem to be as interested in the rest of the garden (squash, beans, peppers and melon), we just surrounded that with a nine foot high barrier of deer netting, and put up a similar barrier in front of my ornamental garden to protect my hosta, sedum and day lilies.

Here's the Tomato Fortress:

tomato-fortress-2019-small.jpg

I planted seven seedlings inside: three San Marzano, and one each of Big Boy, Big Beef, Brandywine and Sweet 100 Cherry. The husband thinks I can crowd the plants a bit more in the future, and not leave the moving-around space just inside the door, but I was being cautious for this first attempt. The Brandywine and the Big Beef have already set some early fruit and my fingers are crossed that the garden will be a success this year.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful!!! Those squirrels will be so vexed.

I pulled out some seeds and threw them in the ground but I think they'd been in the garage (=hot) too long, because they didn't sprout. But I found an old ear of corn that had been saved (seed saving) and planted those kernels a week ago, and they're coming up. The beans are flowering, the peas are ending, the spinach is bolting (the kale, too) the orange tree is still loaded (and the Norwegian fruit rats have been enjoying it--you reminded me I need to go check traps)--the cherry tree is bearing a decent load, the apple tree too, I have a lime on my key lime tree, ...Hmmm... actually it sounds like a decent amount of food, but mostly the seeds that didn't sprout left me feeling like a brown thumb.

There's a pile of pruning to shred today for the compost bins. I've been doing this batch by hand, my latest virtuous climate act was saying 'no' to the fuel-powered chipper. Also need to do more pruning on a patch of property that is overgrown.

Gardening is fantastic. Sunshine and movement.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Patty, that's an amazing variety of growing things!

Speaking of cherries, we got our first harvest from the trees we planted several years ago. To my surprise, the sweet cherry ripened first (and early), and the birds got most of it before I realized what was going on. The tart cherry started ripening a week ago, and I got about two cups of lovely fruit that I have to do something with. I think for now I'll just pit and freeze it, and make a mini-pie later on. I did a deck box with lettuce and radishes, and the lettuce has not yet bolted although I expect its days are numbered. The damn squirrels keep getting into the radish section of the planter and uprooting things, so if I get a half-dozen radishes I'll count myself lucky.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yes--the cherries--I just know the birds will find them. Arrrgh. I could net the tree, but that's work.

Think, think, think.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My war on tomato-squirrel-bandits has some history, but I’ll spare everyone the sob-story and jump straight to the ongoing conclusion. It was sheer desperation to enjoy a backyard tomato sandwich that influenced my choice of weapon: Strips of aluminum foil positioned here, there, and everywhere around the tomato plants finally ‘foiled’ the little bastard critters. (It seems squirrels find sheets of aluminum foil to be evil things better left unapproached.)

AstronautMikeDexter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelprocopiowrites.wordpress.com
^I'm going to try that. Glad to hear it's helped so far! I'd heard of that before but I never got around to trying it. My seeds are starting to sprout as it's FINALLY warming up here but a few of them have been destroyed by squirrels already. If they want a war, I'll give them a war.