Gardeners of AW, unite

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Ari - so sorry your garden got eaten! And by your rescue pup, yet. Hope she didn't suffer any ill effects from her impromptu "salad."

The husband and I got the rest of the veggie patch fenced and a door installed, and he's decided to make a door for the perennial bed's fence as well. I'm glad because right now the only way to access it is via a staircase from our deck, which makes transporting stuff (like bags of garden soil and mulch) very tedious.

When we put up the fence in front of the perennial bed, of necessity we had to include a wedge of lawn. Rather than deal with mowing grass inside said fence, I decided to extend the bed. We spent a day sod-busting, then another day hoeing up the existing dirt and amending it with garden soil. I spent a major chunk of change on new plants and spend a lot of time contemplating the new bed and trying to figure out where to put things. My big splurge was a peony - I've always wanted one. I also got varieties of dianthus, bee balm, coneflower, black-eyed susan, salvia and lobelia, plus something called a "sedum tile" - a variety of mini-sedums planted in a 2'x1' tray of peat moss. The idea is that you just take it out of the tray, plop it where you want it, and water it in. You can also cut it to shape. I'm waiting until John finishes installing the door (which will probably happen today) before planting. I'm hoping to have a garden that will be attractive to pollinators. A lot of my new plants are native species, too, so I'm feeling virtuous about that.

Meanwhile in the vegetable front, my deck boxes of radishes and spinach are doing very well, and my indoor seedlings are hanging in there. This week I selected the most vigorous tomato seedlings and transplanted them into potting soil (seed-growing medium doesn't have much nutrition, and once the seedlings have put out their true leaves they need fertilization). I can only handle about ten tomato plants in my fully-enclosed "tomato fortress," but I planted three times that number just in case some of the seedlings didn't make it. So I transplanted one each of the heirloom varieties Stump of the World, Gezahnte, Yellow Pear, Cherokee Purple, Woodles Orange and Matt's Wild Cherry, and four each of Opalka Polish Paste (strictly for making tomato sauce). I still have some viable seedlings in the seed-growing medium and may yet transplant those to give to friends. I also repotted my Griller zucchini spouts because they're growing so vigorously that they were getting root-bound (they were a gift from shakeysix - thanks, shakey!), and it's too soon yet for them to go into the garden.

I planted some kale, chard, carrots and lettuce in the garden. No action yet from the carrots; a little from the chard and lettuce, but I've already had to thin the kale. Impatiently waiting for warmer weather so I can plant beans - the only other plant I'll direct-sow. Everything else is coming from my little indoor greenhouse.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I envy your veggie garden, I do. We had thought to give a garden one more shot with nice raised beds. Now, we're thinking not. :/

Pepper's fine except for the massive skin infection she had when we got her and the $102 shots aren't making a lot of headway. She and Maggie both seem to have cast-iron stomachs. Oy!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I envy your veggie garden, I do. We had thought to give a garden one more shot with nice raised beds. Now, we're thinking not. :/

Pepper's fine except for the massive skin infection she had when we got her and the $102 shots aren't making a lot of headway. She and Maggie both seem to have cast-iron stomachs. Oy!

Nice raised beds and pepper spray (you can make it from cayenne) on the plants. It won't bother them, and mammals including dogs do not like it.

Alternatively; spray with slightly soapy water made with dish soap. If you don't like it neither will Pepper. And the plants WILL like it, while bugs won't.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
hmm. I do spray slightly soapy water on my 2 citrus trees to prevent mites. Yeah, maybe that's why she hasn't bothered them. (The old noggin ain't as useful as it once was. *sigh*)

ETA: I did sprinkle clove oil in their favorite digging areas as a deterrent and it works; it didn't help with the plants in the pots, tho'.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Clove oil, interesting. Must try that myself.

The slugs or snails have mowed down 80% of my zucchini sprouts and had also started in on the pumpkin sprouts. My first attempt to thwart them was to go out at night with a flashlight. But they were nowhere to be seen. So today, the Sluggo slug deterrent came out.

Not happy about this, chemicals and whatnot, but it is an organic treatment at least and it works (We used to use it at the community garden.) Dammit, I want my sugar baby pumpkins and grilled zucchini.

In other gardening news I found a hummingbird nest and a baby inside. In the orange tree. Didn't see the mama until today, and it's all very sweet.

p.s. MrsMig I was tickled to hear you are extending the garden. :) Isn't it funny how we love our gardens and we love other people loving their gardens too?

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I cracked and tackled the overgrown, neglected front garden again. It's north-facing, shaded partly by the house and has several conifers that have let themselves go (or more precisely that dad has let go. We have very different pruning ideologies). Truly unloved-looking place.

Last year my attempt to convert the dying lawn into a meadow failed spectacularly. Not one thing sprouted. AT ALL. I will try again this year, though! Halfheartedly, with what remains of the seed and some foxgloves added as soon as it rains again.

But for now I have focussed on the trees and the old mini raised bed. I cut the lowest dead branches of the conifers so you don't have to bend down anymore to enter the front garden. The branches over the raised bed were also trimmed to let in light.

What remained of the raised bed was just enough to stub your toes on so I dug up all the stones and rebuild the raised bed-wall into one line instead of the meandering thing it was before.

Dad took over from this point, filling the new place with wheel barrows of compost and planted about every pot with questionable content (pots where it's very likely the original plant is long gone, or we don't remember what was supposed to be in it, but what is still in it may be 'worth' keeping) he had left. At this point I've let him at it without bothering to disagree with his plant choices. And it's not like the garden centers are open to buy new plants to fill up the space anyway. Not many of the pots had plants suited for dry shade, but we'll see what survives and I am not unhappy all those questionable content pots are off the deck! Unexpected bonus, that.

Still lots to do. The other side still need pruning the trees. And at least one errant shrub will have to be removed. But it's looking better already.

The husband and I got the rest of the veggie patch fenced and a door installed, and he's decided to make a door for the perennial bed's fence as well. I'm glad because right now the only way to access it is via a staircase from our deck, which makes transporting stuff (like bags of garden soil and mulch) very tedious.
Yeay for handy and considerate spouses!

Well, that would definitely fit with Pepper being partly goat...

It's the variety called LeCompte, which has lilac-colored flowers. I had lilacs in Iowa and I missed having them but I knew they wouldn't survive Texas heat and drought. The little tree is still spindly after five years but very pretty when in bloom.
I don't know that variety, but then I didn't know vitex had any other colours beside white and blue. Learn something new everyday. :)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been very cold here the last couple of nights, although we've been spared the snow others have gotten. I still haven't planted the perennials I bought earlier in the week (husband has been busy with work stuff so the door to the garden hasn't happened yet), so I threw a cover over them last night and they appear to be okay this morning.

Grocery shopping, which I used to enjoy, has become so stressful for me that when I did this week's shopping, I promised myself that if I didn't freak out, I could go to my local garden center and buy one more perennial as a treat. I wanted a giant hosta for the shady far corner of the new bed, so I got a Sum & Substance plant. When I got it home I discovered the poor thing was so pot-bound that it was as if it had been planted in concrete. I had to cut it out of its pot, then slice through the layers of root to loosen it up before putting it in place. I hope it does well.

It's still somewhat chilly outside but I'm going to spend part of the day repotting seedlings. The difference between the ones I put in potting soil last week and the ones still in seed-starting medium is not to be believed. Here's a photo of my Stump of the World seedlings (the one in potting soil on the left):

stump-of-the-world-seedlings-2020.jpg

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that variety, but then I didn't know vitex had any other colours beside white and blue. Learn something new everyday. :)

Oh, yeah. The nursery where I bought it had varieties in a range of colors: white, blue, pale pink, rose, lilac, purple, deep purple. It seems, though, that the varieties around here in the pinks and rose have clusters of flowers (like crape myrtles) rather than spikes. I like the spikes. :)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Not gardening too much these days. Allergies have kept me mostly indoors last week. Just nipping out in the morning or evenings to water the cuttings and seedlings. We're getting already into drought conditions. I don't want them to fry.

Seedlings are amazing to watch. Pretty much everything I have sown this spring has made an appearance so far, not all adundant, but heck, just one plant would already be a success with these untried seeds.

Only not entirely sure if what came up in the vitex pots is actually vitex. It all looks the same and came up at exactly the same time but the first leaves are seldom recognisable. Which is also some evolutionary trick I still find amazing, that plants sprout with a different type of leaf as adult plants, I presume so predators can't identify them right away. Little stealthy things.

My fancy iris is making more flower buds. Very exciting.

I'm mistified by the westringea cuttings. It's an Australian plant that Dad got last year and because it has such pretty little flowers I tried some cuttings last spring. Some of them survived up to now and âppear to be thriving, but when I tried to pot them on, there's no root. Nothing. These plants are alive and flowering for a year and they have still no root. How do they do that? Mystified me.

Oh, yeah. The nursery where I bought it had varieties in a range of colors: white, blue, pale pink, rose, lilac, purple, deep purple. It seems, though, that the varieties around here in the pinks and rose have clusters of flowers (like crape myrtles) rather than spikes. I like the spikes. :)
Oh I agree, a vitex ought to have flower spikes. But a deep purple vitex does sound awefully enticing. I feel I should investigate.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Clove oil, interesting. Must try that myself.

The slugs or snails have mowed down 80% of my zucchini sprouts and had also started in on the pumpkin sprouts. My first attempt to thwart them was to go out at night with a flashlight. But they were nowhere to be seen. So today, the Sluggo slug deterrent came out.

Not happy about this, chemicals and whatnot, but it is an organic treatment at least and it works (We used to use it at the community garden.) Dammit, I want my sugar baby pumpkins and grilled zucchini.

Best treatment that I have found for slugs (apart from keeping ducks) is beer. Put half a can in a suitable container (we used old plastic takeaway containers) in a place where they can access it, and they chuck themselves in and drown.

Organic, presumably humane (or whatever the slug equivalent of humane is) as they do it voluntarily, and a waste of good beer, but saved our peppers and tomatoes.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Best treatment that I have found for slugs (apart from keeping ducks) is beer. Put half a can in a suitable container (we used old plastic takeaway containers) in a place where they can access it, and they chuck themselves in and drown.

Organic, presumably humane (or whatever the slug equivalent of humane is) as they do it voluntarily, and a waste of good beer, but saved our peppers and tomatoes.

Well, you don't have to give them GOOD beer. They'll die happy in any old swill. ;)

We finally got the door to the perennial garden installed, and yesterday's weather was good, so I dug in rubber edging at the fence line and then planted all my new babies. The edging work was fidgety and annoying, but digging in the plants was heaven. The earth smelled so good and was so easy to work after all my sod-busting labors, and it gave me so much pleasure to see everything in its place. Can't wait to see how things fill in and shoot up as the weather gets warmer.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I cleared out the dead seedlings in the tree nursery that didn't survive the winter. Finally everything is making leaf and I can see what's dead. It looks like about a third of last year's treelings perished. So now I got plenty of pots for the next batch of seedling trees that have sprung up in the flowerbeds since then. There are a lot of those. (Thank you, squirrels, and curse your shoddy memory.) Enough pots, but not enough space. There are some big seedlings that I had planned to move some this spring to an actual wood, but the pandemic intervened and tree-planting season is over in the meantime. Hopefully I can do that this autumn but in the meantime my nursery will remain cramped.

The re-built raised bed in the front garden is actually looking pretty good, even with the hotchpotch plants my dad plopped in them. And with the trees now finally pruned up to head-level, it's actually stopped looking neglected. I filled up the last bit of the new raised bed with leaf compost. We've got a few more plants we intend to move from the back garden to the front garden, but we want to wait with that until we've had some rain. It's been a rather dry month.

So I was pretty pleased to hear we'll be having rains all week so yesterday it was time for front garden flower meadow attempt 2.

I tilled the lower side of the front garden which used to be a lawn but which mostly died, smothered under years of uncollected leaf fall. Gah. So many roots.

Then I scoured the seeds stash: Facelia, random packages of flower packages for birds and bees, corn flower, foxglove, aquilegia, welsh poppies, it all went into a bucket. I got to feel like an old-time farmer for a few moments as I tossed the seeds around.

Now it's just waiting for the rain to do its magic and with all that seed something's got to sprout! (Last year, with just a giant package of store-bought bee flower mix, I didn't get a flower plant.) I'm hoping to do at least better than last year.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I haven't been able to do much because it has been cold and windy and my 1950 chassis has been rusting out and locking up. Also I have been feeling kind of useless. My old students are running the world now.They are health workers, farmers, grocery store workers, police, EMTs, bankers. I see them out and working in less than comfortable situations, dealing with stress and doing their best to make things safe for the rest of us. I am pleased to see them handling this weird, bewildering crisis. It is also a bit depressing. Useless and old and outdated.

I managed to totter out and start some pots and clear the beds today and yesterday. I live on Prairie Street--a good name. It is a dirt road that wanders past an alfalfa field, some horse corrals and then 24 miles of prairie to the next town, Iuka. My house is the last house in town. We don't get a lot of traffic and most of that is ag stuff, tractors, cattle trailers, road equipment, sprayers, I did notice that I was getting a lot more honks and thumbs up. At first I thought I had regained my c, 1970 Foxhood, but then a farmer hollered "Make it pretty!" And a family on bikes yelled "We love your tulips" and my mailman hollers that he brings his wife by to see my mailbox garden. So, yeah, maybe I'm not ready for that big nap in the sky. "Rust Never Sleeps" N. Young

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, it's pretty cool that so many people love your front garden. If you ever needed to know you did something right in the world (and don't we all, especially right now) than there it is! :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Friendly Frog, I'm crushing and gushing over your baby trees. I hope they go to the ground in the wood and enjoy long lives.

Bachus--Beer. Hmm. I should try that. The sluggo is supposed to be organic. I'm not sure what it is, chemically. It definitely did the job though--a few zucchinis are now quite healthy and the pumpkins are coming along as well. I lost all of the beans, but based on the damage to the sprouts, those seem to go to a nibbler, not a slimer. Two of the sweet 100s tomato plants look like they will survive. They're a few robust inches high now. That was two plants out of a pack of maybe 20 seeds, so I guess it's a success? ??

Other things are doing well too. I've been giving the corn fish emulsion to convince it to get tall. Over forty stalks this year, which is much appreciated in comparison to the measly 6 that survived last year. Lots of greens and cabbages.

Shakey Six--love the sound of your community. We live in suburbia, on a postage-stamp-sized corner lot, and I set up a visual "Easter Hunt" along both streets of our lot two weeks back, for the families that went out that day. It was delightful to sit inside and work on whatever-it-was and randomly hear children squealing that they had found the this-or-that. :)

Some of our neighbors have done chalk art on the sidewalks and there are COVID bears in the windows all over the neighborhood.

It's nice. I'm glad your neighbors are appreciating you and your yard.

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Friendly Frog, I'm crushing and gushing over your baby trees. I hope they go to the ground in the wood and enjoy long lives.
Aw thanks. I'll tell them somebody else is also rooting for them. ;) (harhar).

I worked my way through a quarter of the garden last weekend and lifted another 7 oaklings, 4 young hazels, 2 chestnuts, a maple and a mystery tree. The mystery tree does not look like a native, so it can't go to the woods. The roots were damaged a little because it had nested into the root ball of an older tree, so it's identity and future may not be an issue if it doesn't survive. We'll see.
My fancy spirit mountain iris bloom opened up in the weekend! :partyguy: It's massive and awesome. She is more purple than blue, but still so glorious on her own indeed! And the size of the thing! More flowers still to come! I'm so pleased.

I'm kinda starting to suspect the reason I was imagining she'd be more blue than this rich, empereal purple is because I wonder whether this is the sort of purple that just doesn't catch on photos, making it look bluer instead. If I look up the iris on google all the pictures I see are really, really blue.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Yesterday, while I was tutoring online, a man stopped by, a complete stranger, and knocked on my door. He jumped off the porch when I answered the door and we talked from a distance. No one has knocked on my door for months, so I was a little worried when I heard a knock. He wanted to ask me about the post lights on my milpa garden. I gave him a quick thumbnail on where to buy them and how to maintain them. He wanted some like mine for the patio garden on his farm. I asked him what he grew. He said mainly flowers, common stuff like morning glories and marigolds. He likes day lilies, too. So here I was chatting with this big, burley farmer type guy who was driving a pick up with a bale of hay in the bed. He was in my yard, I was on the porch, as per social distancing, and we were talking about flowers. Not about politics. Not about the economic situation--particularly dire for ranchers and farmers, not about the latest pandemic rumors, but about flowers.

I thought you gardeners would enjoy that.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That gives me warm fuzzies, shakeysix. It's nice to know when people appreciate your garden as much as you do.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a house full of vegetable seedlings that I'm positively bursting to get out of doors and into the ground - but we're supposed to get below-average temps through the weekend (like down into the 30s-40s F at night). I've chosen May 13th as my potential best day to dig everything in - the weather is forecast to be warmer by then, and positively balmy by next weekend. In the interim, I prepped the beds and planted a dozen each of scarlet runner beans and a pole variety of Italian green beans. I covered the area with a couple layers of bird netting because in the past, squirrels and chipmunks have made off with the seed beans. I'll remove that once the beans have popped and get some growth on them. I don't know what it is about tender new seedlings that make young gray squirrels want to pounce on them and wrestle them to the ground, but it happens all the time.

My perennial garden is doing nicely - all the new plants seem to be settling in and some have grown noticeably (the Sum & Substance hosta that was so rootbound is positively ebullient now). It gives me so much pleasure to go down into the garden first thing in the morning and just walk through it. It's such a peaceful way to start the day. My birthday is coming up and my husband asked me what I wanted, and my response was "more plants." So he's going to take me to my favorite local garden center for a little shopping spree next week. (He already got me a beautiful rabbit-shaped planter, to go with my stone rabbit bench.) Once the weather settles down we'll get my garden fountain running, "and all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
That's a cool bench! I'd never have guessed you had a thing for rabbits. ;)

Glad to hear the garden is doing well. Here's hoping your seedling-planting day goes well and you get a little more breathing room in your house.

Today I'm going to try and lift some more tree saplings from the flower beds. We have rain forcast for sunday, I hope it comes or I'm going to have to get the hose out next week. Especially now since something IS sprouting on my second attempt at the front garden flower meadow! April was a record month for sunshine, I heard on the radio, yeah, sounds about right!

My fancy iris is on her second flower. I was worried that those seven (!) flowerbuds on the one stem were going to hinder one another, but the plant appears to have all sorted that out. The moment the second flower unfurled, the first one shrivelled up overnight. Now there is something I haven't seen before. So pleased.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For almost the first time ever I nearly forgot to lock the chickens in for the night. You are all spared the worst story that you might have got from me tomorrow morning...

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of foxes or free-roaming dogs in your neighbourhood, mccardey? Or are your chickens the sort that have their beady little eye on world domination, given half the chance?

Still pulling treelings out of the garden. I'm almost there. Sure am wondering how the squirrels didn't go hungry last winter. Massive amount of treelings this year. My tree nursery is full for the moment so I'm currently putting the newly potted treelings on the back garden path. Half of them don't look so good, despite frequent watering and damned it if it aren't the oaks and hazels I most want to keep. Either I damaged the roots digging them out or the heat is getting to them. There mostly shaded but the atmosphere is rather dry. Not officially a drought here yet but I hear they're already considering water restrictions so it's only a matter of time. Rooting for this weekend's forecast thunderstorm. Never have wished so much for rain in my life. Damn you, climate change.

I'm wondering if my pot-grown potatoes is going to be a bust this year, not a single leaf yet.

The fancy iris has been a very rewarding flower. We're on the last flower of the mother plant but the younger plant is only just unrolling on the it's first. Double flowers! Wheee!

EDIT; Did you get your plants in the ground, mrsmig?

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
EDIT; Did you get your plants in the ground, mrsmig?

I did! I spent most of the 15th (our anniversary) digging the last perennials in, then moved over to the vegetable garden and dug in the seedlings. I have about a dozen leftover seedlings - in an excess of caution, I started far more seeds than I needed, thinking I'd lose some along the way, but most of them survived. My near neighbors don't have vegetable gardens so they weren't interested, but my sister in North Carolina said she'd take them (she's having eye surgery tomorrow so I'm going down to chauffeur her around for a day or two).

It looks as if the chipmunks got to my bean seeds in spite of my attempts to protect them. I wondered why they hadn't popped and upon examination, discovered tiny, neat holes chewed through their protective netting. A day or two later a couple of the Scarlet Runner beans came up, but only two, and thus far none of the Italian pole beans, so I'm looking at replanting the whole lot. I bought some inexpensive wire mesh drawer organizers and plan to weight or pin those down over the next planting, in hopes that'll deter the chippies. There's still a chance that the Italians have survived (they have a longer germination period) so I'm going to wait until I get back from NC to tackle that job.

Either a chippie or a squirrel uprooted one of my Muncher cucumber plants, too. Fortunately the other Muncher and the two Long Greens seems to be doing okay. I was so frustrated after discovering that on top of the bean episode that I put together a chipmunk/squirrel deterrent recipe I found on the interwebs that included pureed garlic and hot peppers - apparently the stink and heat put off the rodents. It certainly surprised the earthworms. I poured some along my bean rows and the ground positively erupted with worms, wriggling away just as fast as they could. I laughed but I felt bad. Poor wormies.

I bought some additional herbs - thyme, two varieties of mint, lemon verbena, fennel, lime basil and a laurel bay seedling - and potted them up to go on the deck. The rodents immediately dug into the mint plants. The battle has begun....

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Good that you have so many worms, even if they've got a fright. :roll: That means your soil condition is good!

I hope your sister's surgery went well.

Shame to hear about the bean predation. How frustrating!

Something dug up one of my potatoes last week. It was either too big for it to carry off or not what he was after. Some scratches, none too deep, so I hope it will still sprout. So I've dug it in again and put metal mesh plates on both pots. Never thought I had to put my potatoes in Plantcatraz but ah.

And while my potted potatoes have yet to put forth leaves, I've noticed some familiar leaves poking through the lattice of the compost heap. Seems like some left over potatoes from last year sprouted in there!

I can feel it, I'm going to be out-gardened by the bloody compost heap. :rant: Oh the shame. That sure is one humility lesson.

Finally finished digging out stray trees. About forty in total, although I often find one I missed when I stroll in the garden. Gaaah. Where do they hide?

At least the fancy irisses are putting on a heart-warming display but it's drought for the rest of the garden, and the country. Code-red drought has never come this early in the year. It's a good thing we have two massive rain reservoirs under the house but even they will run out. So I'm hoping for rain. Again.

Meemossis

Registered
Reaction score
My back garden is in the middle of being renovated, and it's currently a huge mess of rubble and soil. Because of COVID, the guys we had coming to fix it have all be quarantined and it's been put back months. The only thing I've been able to plant this year is a few lettuce leaves on my windowsill.