Question related to alternate dimensions theory/relevant types of energy involved...

Goodchild

Screaming Audio Terror
Registered
Reaction score
Scunthorpe, UK. "The industrial garden town of th
Website
theycallmepotato.blogspot.com
Hello.

Hope this ok to ask in here...Basically, a story I'm working on at the moment involves an accidental dimension break/convergance. The idea is that some scientists were working on a way to bridge gaps between dimensions, and ended up making something that 'folded around' them, putting them in another reality (rather than creating an actual portal, or what have you).

I was wondering if there is any particularly relevant theory related to this sort of idea (of a gateway enveloping something instead of acting as a normal doorway) and/or what sort of energy might be involved in its creation...

Hope that's not too vague or anything! Cheers!

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
Although I would suggest you watch the Stargate: Atlantis episode where McKay has to undo a rift brought on by his rival, there is the obvious accidental wormhole generation issue...

FR

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I'd suggest starting here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole

When you say that they created a new reality, do you mean another one just as big as ours, or a tiny bubble of a reality with a small, finite distance? If the latter, I think you could just explain that they tried to stretch the fabric of space-time to create a wormhole, but their end pinched shut, leaving the tunnel detached from the rest of reality.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Well the idea of other dimensions being places that you can visit is basically fantastical, so you can make up whatever you want to get there.

String theory does postulate a bunch of extra dimensions, but they aren't places so much qualities of reality, just like 'height' is not a place, its a quality. The extra dimensions are just like height and width, except so small as to be basically undetectable.

A different idea is that of parallel universes, whereby the extent of the universe we see is not unique, but that there are any number of other universes, isolated from ours by being in their own time/space 'pockets' if you will. These universes may be similar to ours, or even, according to some people's thinking, spawned by ours (each representing a different string of events that reality could have proceeded on with) or they might not be.

Now, this is not a well-grounded theory, in that its been tested and there's a great deal of evidence to support it. Its more on the lines of a conjecture; which is a reasonable enough possibility which is sadly untestable, but might be true.

If it were true, how would you get to another universe? Well, some physicists postulate something called a sub-space, an underlying fabric of reality that what we call time, space, matter and energy all spring from. Its possible that this is continuous throughout different universes. How to use it? Well, and here we are getting really speculative. We left well established scientific theory behind several paragraphs ago, so take this with Lot's wife's worth of salt; We use high energy colliders to explore ever tinier and more basic particles. Presumably, any subspace whatchamacallits could only be discovered by an unimaginably enormous amount of energy in a collider. With a little fiction liscense, you could make yourself a planet sized collider, and use it to rip the fabric of space time, and make yourself a little portal between universes.

However, in this case, I don't think its wise to make any pretext of being scientific, because it just isn't.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Wormholes are generally accepted as being bridges within our own known 4-dimensional universe.

What you want is string theory. See here and here. String theory predicts, and, in fact, requires the existence of at least 10 or 11 dimensions (depending on which brand you subscribe to. I'm not that big on string theory, but if you want more dimensions, that's where you'll find them.

Alternatively, if you want multiple realities or multiple parallel universes, which actually seems more along the lines of what you mean when lay people speak of "alternate dimensions," then you will want to look into the Many-worlds interpretation of the Schrodinger equation and wavefunction collapse. This is something that I do know a bit about, just in case any of those pages seem intimidating. To summarize, the many-worlds interpretation proposes that any time an unknown quantum state if resolved into one of the discrete possibilities (if you're familiar with Schrodinger's cat, this is when you open the box to see if it's alive or dead), our universe spontaneously breaks into two paths--one in which the cat is dead, and another in which the cat isn't. We, of course, have no knowledge of the other or what transpired in it. Possibly, the whole history of the universe is rife with such splits, suggesting a possibly infinite many parallel universes.

Exactly how you would travel to one, I'm not sure.

Re: wikipedia, I've relied on their math and physics articles for quite some time, and they're incredibly consistent with what I've learned elsewhere. It's on of the few really impressive sections. Most likely because most people who don't understand quantum mechanics or general relativity and want to BS it really wouldn't fathom where to even begin, and just don't bother.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
As far as methods of travel to such a parallel universe--what if wormholes don't just travel among our own universe? Imagine a sphere. If a wormhole is a hole through that sphere to more quickly reach the opposite side, what--in this analogy--is the inside of the sphere? Could it be on the other side of our universe (the outer part of the sphere) lies a parallel universe (the inside)? What if the wormhole stopped on the inside, and you found yourself in another universe? Imagine, then, an N-dimensional sphere with N-dimensional "surfaces," where each surface corresponds to a different universe. Could we "tunnel" through to these other universes in a wormhole as well?