Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Absolutewrite.com has a new look, Stormie. :) We've been working on cleaning up a bunch of crufty old and defunct code for a while, now.

Deleted member 42

I'm working on stuff in between my real job, so let me know if you see weirdness.

It's going to be changing fairly rapidly; we've been working on it for quite a while.

Deleted member 42

Oh yeah! That's really spiffy. I was just thinking earlier today that the AW main page looked kinda dated. Now it's uber modern! Nice job, guys.

Thank you!

The old pages were so non-standard that they wouldn't work at all for a lot of browsers, and people using reader technology because of visual problems were completely shut out.

Last year we worked on getting the forums to work for people with screen readers, but it's going to take a while to clean the various Web sites up.

Deleted member 42

Ooh, love the look but where are the articles?

They are still there. Keep in mind that I have to hand-convert the pages--they have ads that are pretty awful looking, and don't actually generate revenue, and HTML that would make a cat sick. I have to remove that by hand.

There are thousands of pages. Almost every page has a link to the Zinestar subscription service, which stopped actually adding new newsletter subscriptions a very long time ago. That needs to be removed as well.

If you've got a favorite you want me to prioritize in converting, let me know. Otherwise, I'm just going directory by directory.

Deleted member 42

Wow, Medievalist. That's one HUGE job. Are your eyes crossing yet? :)

Heh.

I was born with crossed-eyes!

In all seriousness, the crufty HMTL has meant Google simply ignores a lot of the pages, so one of the things I'm doing is generating a Google site map for the files; this will make the content--and there is some really good content mixed in with some not-so-good stuff--easier for people and Google to find.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh. I just bookmarked absolutewrite.com/forums on my toolbar, years ago.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How do you go straight to the forums? I've always had to go through the front door to get in here. No one told me there was a back way! Where is it?
One way is to bookmark http://absolutewrite.com/forums, but faster is if you enable the autocomplete feature on your browser (e.g., Firefox). It will attempt to guess the URL you want based on where you've gone before, offering several choices. I type the letter A and up pops the forum. (I also get it when I type U, oddly enough.)

Maryn, helpful sort

Status
Not open for further replies.