If you wrote a novel based on 6 words from a fisherman (moved from novels)

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

Okay, more clear this time:

Use this story as a jumping off point for a full-length novel idea and share your basic plot premise.

Or just share your six-word story since that's what most people are doing :p.

The main idea was to see how many different ways a writer could expound upon Hemingway's story. Not that any novel could do the story justice in the end, but this is just an experiment in futility is all. :)

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Well, I think I get the gist of what you are saying, though at first I thought you were complaining about Hemingway.

I like Hemingway. So what is it exactly you want us to discuss? You confuse-ed me.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...reminds me of an event in Picaso's life I once heard about. A patron paid him a lot of loot to draw his portrait. So Picaso does so in a about 5 minutes. Looking at the portrait, the patron says something like, "I'm paying you all this money for just a few simple brushstrokes?" And Picaso replies, "A few simple brushstrokes, and a life times worth of effort." // Good luck with your project.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
"For sale: baby shoes, never used."

Okay, more clear this time:

Use this story as a jumping off point for a full-length novel idea and share your basic plot premise.

Or just share your six-word story since that's what most people are doing :p.

The main idea was to see how many different ways a writer could expound upon Hemingway's story. Not that any novel could do the story justice in the end, but this is just an experiment in futility is all. :)

It's never worn. You messed up 1/6 of the story!

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I think The Lonely One meant this:

Angela Marquez wants a baby. A spare room in her house is a nursery, she buys baby clothes, has a bassinet next to her bed. But Angela is barren. And turned down by adoption agencies for vague, psychological reasons. Desperate, she turns to seedy lawyer Allan Pinkley to help her buy a baby. But when he takes her money, and the money of other desperate women like Angela and runs, Angela snaps. This mother wannabe is bent on revenge and doesn't care who gets in her way. Allan Pinkley can't run far enough or fast enough to escape the wrath of Angela. But will revenge be the end of Angela's baby dreams? Is she too far gone to return to the normality of midnight feedings? If you liked Double Jeopardy, you'll love the breakneck speed and unexpected plot twists of "Baby Shoes Never Worn."

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
I think The Lonely One meant this:

Angela Marquez wants a baby. A spare room in her house is a nursery, she buys baby clothes, has a bassinet next to her bed. But Angela is barren. And turned down by adoption agencies for vague, psychological reasons. Desperate, she turns to seedy lawyer Allan Pinkley to help her buy a baby. But when he takes her money, and the money of other desperate women like Angela and runs, Angela snaps. This mother wannabe is bent on revenge and doesn't care who gets in her way. Allan Pinkley can't run far enough or fast enough to escape the wrath of Angela. But will revenge be the end of Angela's baby dreams? Is she too far gone to return to the normality of midnight feedings? If you liked Double Jeopardy, you'll love the breakneck speed and unexpected plot twists of "Baby Shoes Never Worn."

Yes. Yes. God, yes.

Yes.

:)

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
I see what you're getting at. For example:

It's 1949 and the Clarks are a young couple too excited about their new home and the news that Cindy is pregnant! Steve moves his desk and converts the office into a nursery, and friends and family shower them with gifts, including a pair of gorgeous baby shoes. However, instead of a baby, Cindy gives birth to a giant, hairy spider the size of a dinner platter which immediately begins eating her face as soon as it's out of the womb. Hilarity ensues.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score

It's 1949 and the Clarks are a young couple too excited about their new home and the news that Cindy is pregnant! Steve moves his desk and converts the office into a nursery, and friends and family shower them with gifts, including a pair of gorgeous baby shoes. However, instead of a baby, Cindy gives birth to a giant, hairy spider the size of a dinner platter which immediately begins eating her face as soon as it's out of the womb. Hilarity ensues.

Please

write

this.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now I get it. How's this?

Sotheby’s auctioneer Jake Driskoll has got to kick his foot fetish before he loses his job, his house, and his marriage. Three months sober, Jake thinks he’s finally got a step up on his obsession, but then Frannie Carter walks into Jake’s life with feet that could fit inside teacups. Jake is eager to seduce her, and can’t believe his luck when a striking pair of jewel-encrusted toddler shoes come up on his auction block.

Jake risks everything and plans to steal the shoes with hopes of stealing Frannie’s heart as well. In the excitement of the heist, Jake stubs his foot, causing his wedding toe ring to cut off circulation. After a short stint in the hospital, his wife waits on him hand and foot, until he’s fully recovered. It’s then that he learns what love really is, and those stolen baby shoes go forever unworn.

Nicole

jimdubose

Registered
Reaction score
what were the six works?
something like:

"last time i fish with Noah!"

or

"ain't fishin with jonah no mo'

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

*steals Gynn and transports him to the Horror Forum*

Quossum

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this one has "Hallmark special" written all over it, but here goes:

Jenny Cleborn has the nursery all set up for the perfect baby she's expecting, but when tiny Jacob is born without arms, her world threatens to fall apart. Her husband, Charles, can't accept the baby's disability and leaves, but thanks to the help of Bill, the cheerful next-door neighbor, Jenny takes heart and begins to accept what Jacob has rather than what he lacks. She quickly realizes that she can't cover his remaining manipulative digits with the array of cute baby shoes she's purchased, and sure enough, Jacob quickly learns to grasp objects--including his mother's glasses!--with his increasingly nimble toes. That is only the beginning of the journey with one unique little boy and the unexpected blessings he brings into Jenny's life.

--Q

scratchingcat

Registered
Reaction score
This is the story about a boy named Reginald, who beside having rather large feet also liked to cause the town folk to scratch their heads in wonder. His parents were at a loss at how to tame him. He disliked clothes and would rather dress in paper bags. He disliked to speak with people, but he was rather fond of talking with trees and rivers. Then one day, a man named Willowbi came to the town where Reginald lived and finally Reginald had found an equal to share his world with.

Selcaby

Writer of wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
Princess Yselda and Prince Callan, rulers of the poverty-stricken principality of Olpenbourg, are in trouble. The Queen of Marcastria phoned just as Yselda was putting some buns in the oven, got the wrong end of the stick and has now spread the joyous news round the whole continent. Now nobles from Aagenland to Zemlintz are sending gifts for the royal baby, and even Callan's fairy godmother can't be convinced that the rumours aren't true. What's more, for every good fairy there are ninety-nine who only seem that way, and it's impolitic to miss a single one of them off a royal guest list. Soon Yselda and Callan find themselves hosting the most chaotic and unusual christening the world has ever known.