Institute of Children's Literature

Ctnyrene

Registered
Reaction score
Oopsy I think you misunderstood or I didn't make myself clear, either way the last assignments of the basic course lets you decide if you want to continue with mag work or if you want to do a book either full length or pb's. Just clarifying. You can move forward with the advanced courses after that if you want but you can get started on book work in the main course.

ctny

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
That's still out of my league, money-wise. Esp. since most of the children's mags don't pay much or at all. So to recoup that money, you need to get a large publishing house to accept your PB, which as you said, would be the next set of courses. I've learned a lot from reading PBs, reading children's mags, and reading up on querying and cover letters, etc. And thankfully it was all free. But then, that's just the route I took, and for me, it worked. (Got an agent on the strength of my MG novel.)

I've ended up with a nice little collection of shorts. Like you say they don't pay, but learning to write shorts was good for me. They also look good on your query letter (if you can get them published).

For the last assignment you can submit the first 3 chapters of your book, or an entire PB. That's the assignment I'm on now. Once finished I plan to write up a detailed review and post it here.

Geoff Gander

Registered
Reaction score
For the last assignment you can submit the first 3 chapters of your book, or an entire PB. That's the assignment I'm on now. Once finished I plan to write up a detailed review and post it here.

That's what I've chosen to do, too. It's quite a different challenge, compared with writing shorts.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
That's what I've chosen to do, too. It's quite a different challenge, compared with writing shorts.

That's what I did. Remember, you last assignment can be up to 8,000 words. So, if you normally write really short chapters, it make make sense to write longer ones for this assignment.

Lady Ranger

Registered
Reaction score
ICL is definately legit!

I have been a student of ICL since last February, and I'm a minor! They are only allowed to choose two hundred students, so if you are chosen you must be very good. Plus, they are approved by the state of Connecticut.

Put any doubts about ICL to rest; it has been nothing but a fantastic learning experience for me, and a whole lot of fun also. Also, if you take the course you can have the credits transferred to certain colleges, and that's just one less course you have to take.

ICL is definately worth it!

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
They are only allowed to choose two hundred students, so if you are chosen you must be very good.
ICL makes you fill out a small writing aptitude test. Some forum members submitted a bunch of fake tests a few years back (I can't find the message). They were able to write some bad stuff and still get accepted. However, some really bad entries did get denied.

So, while it is possible to get declined, most people are accepted. This doesn't turn me off, as most workshops are just like this, about 1/2 the participants shouldn't be there--their writing just isn't polished enough yet.

Nassik

Registered
Reaction score
The current ICL cost if you pay in one payment is $699.00 US.

If choosing monthly installments it's a $60.00 down payment with enrollment and 12 monthly payments of $56.00 each. Total tuition of $732.00 is all inclusive, including taxes.

Add to this the cost of shipping your course materials out to you.

*These numbers are current as of today (March 8, 2011).

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
The current ICL cost if you pay in one payment is $699.00 US.

If choosing monthly installments it's a $60.00 down payment with enrollment and 12 monthly payments of $56.00 each. Total tuition of $732.00 is all inclusive, including taxes.

Add to this the cost of shipping your course materials out to you.

*These numbers are current as of today (March 8, 2011).

I think this is what I paid, but they sent me out a $50 coupon. I think everyone gets the coupon.

Nassik

Registered
Reaction score
This is the amount I'm currently paying. I was given a $30.00 cash certificate which will be deducted from the final monthly payment.

Sakkasie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theweavinginn.blogspot.com
I signed up today for the "Writing For Magazines" course. The total cost is $339.00 OR $29.00 down, and 12 monthly payments of $27.00. You are also required to pay for shipping, either $10 for USPS or $20 for UPS. Of course I went with the $20 shipping because I have instant gratification issues. :)

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I was 14 when I filled out an aptitude test for ICL and was devastated when they told me I was too young to take their course! (This may have changed, but even if they would have accepted me I'm sure my parents wouldn't have been able to pay for it at the time.) A year and a half ago I learned about Long Ridge Writer's Group and took an aptitude test for them, and then learned that both groups are affiliated. I am half-way through the LRWG course and I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:

Peter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi this is peter when i was 18yers i started writing novels.I saw a book in a library and i decided to be am author.

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
Wow. It's so cool to see people still interested in the school. I think it's been about 15 years since I finished there and the price looks remarkably similar.

I don't think it's necessarily about "recouping" your money, but about the growth you can achieve as a writer. What I learned there is invaluable. Sure you can poke around and learn stuff on your own without the course, but why? They've already taken the guesswork out of it and are showing you a clear cut path to success. No one can do the work for you, but with the course you'll have all the tools you need to succeed. It's up to the individual write to actually use the tools :) You're building a foundation here, one from which you can draw for the rest of your life. The information is there to apply whenever you are ready for it.

I have nothing but good things to say about the school.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Sure you can poke around and learn stuff on your own without the course, but why? They've already taken the guesswork out of it and are showing you a clear cut path to success.

You are right, it's great to have a clear path and the syllabus is very good. But with today's economy, some people just can't pull together the funds.

This is a good place to remind everyone of my #1 rule for the course: get the most experienced, hardest teacher you can!

Hi mware01

I read your book that you have written its great i like it.

Peter, thrilled you liked it and WELCOME to the forums!

Lilwritermonkey

Registered
Reaction score
I mailed my enrollment form off today! I'm very excited about doing this course, i also believe it will help get my YA novel out of my head and onto the page :)

i'm also glad i can afford the monthly payments :D

happy writing! ♥

Welsh Harp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you have gone through them and if so, what was your experience like, what ways did they help you, etc... I am contemplating on enrolling but would like some input from others who have already gone through the course.

Thanks and happy writing!

I completed their course in Writing for Children and Teenagers in the 1980's (so now you know I'm old), and it was very helpful and my instructor was wonderful. He gave me helpful and constructive feedback on every assignment. As a result of the course I wrote a juvenile, historical novel, which I finally published in September 2012.

Mare

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryjhicks.com
After reading all the posts... I had to speak out too.:D

I started with a 'sister branch.' of ICL. The Long Ridge Writers. I finished the course. Almost three years in the doing. They state on nearly every page of their literature that if not satisfied, money will be refunded—but—you must finish the course. That's only fair. How will you know you benefited if you don't finish?
I asked my instructor if everyone passed the entry test. I was told no, but most do because most people who try, are interested or they wouldn't be trying. Made sense to me.

Think about it. If your entry was pretty bad, It's because you needed a class in writing——ICL would expect a person taking the test to need help with their writing. Duh? It's a school.

I'm working on my fifth assignment in the Novel Writing class with the same school. I love it!

Getting published is the hard part, and a whole 'nother can of worms. I don't like that side of writing either, but that's how it is.

I just got a rejection from the first short story I submitted. I'm not unhappy about it though. They liked my query, my synopsis and asked for a full MS. The editor who rejected my work was so nice about it. She gave me some great feedback.

I can't say enough good about ICL and LRWG. If I'm not mistaken they partner someway with Writers Digest?