Snow Pellets in Vegas Tonight

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I've never seen these before. We got pummeled with 'snow pellets' tonight.

At first I thought it was hail, but they were just small balls of snow, not ice like hail. So I googled it and discovered snow pellets.

Pretty neat. I should have taken a picture of them.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
That's cool. I got stuck in a hail storm in July in Connecticut once. They were the size of golf balls.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
We had something once that the National Weather Service's website was describing as "snow pellets reported" but were, in actuality, little balls of a substance claiming to be snow but having the texture and consistency of badly cooked oatmeal.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
lol I think that's called "sleet."

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
lol I think that's called "sleet."

No, it's not sleet. Sleet is wet and slushy, snow pellets are dry, like, er, snow.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/preciptypes/

3. Snow Pellets (GS)- A snow pellet is precipitation that grows by supercooled water accreting on ice crystals or snow flakes. Snow pellets can also occur when a snowflake melts about half way then refreezes as it falls. Snow pellets have characteristics of hail, sleet and snow. With sleet (ice pellets), the snowflake almost completely melts before refreezing thus sleet has a hard ice appearance. Soft hail grows in the same way snow pellets can grow and that is ice crystals and supercooled water accreting on the surface. Snow pellets will crush and break apart when pressed. They can bounce off objects like sleet does. Snow pellets have a whiter appearance than sleet. Snow pellets have small air pockets embedded within their structure and have visual remnants of ice crystals unlike sleet. Snow pellets are typically a couple to several millimeters in size.

They are, in fact, little tiny snowballs.

I have lived in cold climates before, and visited many places in winter, too. I've seen my fair share of hail, sleet, and snow.

I have never seen this before. Pretty cool, you learn something every day.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Most of the pellets I've seen around this town have absolutely nothing to do with water!!!!!;)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen every kind of snow imaginable, including snow pellets. But I can imagine (with difficulty) it would pretty cool if you'd never seen them before.