The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
I managed to find this book during one of my little adventures to find something good to read, and I'm really glad I did. I must admit, somewhat guiltily, that the first draw was the cover. The character featured on the front vaguely resembled a character concept of my own--but only so far as they both happen to be men in dark robes and wielding knives. My second motive in looking for a book was to find something similar to what it is I wanted to write--a fantasy story full of intrigue, with some less-than-scrupulous characters. This book turned out to be much more than I bargained for, as it includes all of the above and much more.

I've already finished the first (Way of Shadows), and about half-way through reading, promptly went and bought the second and third, which completes the trilogy. I found myself staying up late into the night reading, not to mention giving up time that I would normally spend playing video games or procrastinating on college papers.

The characters are rather well developed, the villains are absolutely twisted, and while it does occasionally feature the most expected fantasy elements (magic sword; legendary artifacts; and later, an evil lord), it manages to avoid a number of clichés. It does carry the dark themes you might expect to find in a story about magically-enhanced assassins and corrupt figures, but Weeks manages to find appropriate times to work in humor and romance.

I'm ranting and raving, but I'm really quite pleased that my choice of new author was not misplaced, and if this is only the start of his career, then I can only wait eagerly to see what is next. I've been watching his website/blog, which he's very active on, for any hints of an upcoming novel.

Okay, blabbering done. Has anyone else read this? Have a favorite character? A plot point that wasn't quite clear? Any theme that really struck you? Gripes about the story, writing, whatever? Let's see where this goes. Just keep the discussion to the first volume of the trilogy, and if need be, we can always open a thread for Shadow's Edge and Beyond the Shadows.

Last edited: