Loose change becomes paperback books. Win.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a few decent piles of change sitting around. The ole piggy bank I made in art class was reasonably full despite easy pillaging. The tower-tin of coins from back when I was able to work part time had a fair share of quarters. And there was the penny collection, full of dark brown and green coins from lord knows when. And of course the odd pile of coins here and there around the house.

I figured this would net me at least two paperback books, right? And that's not even counting possible sales...

So I checked online to make sure the local coinstar carried Amazon.com gift certificates. For those not familiar, this gets you no-fee coin counting. I've got nothing to lose here. Bunch of coins sitting around vs having a gift card in hand.

I started with the penny collection. That alone turned out to be about seven bucks. Nice, that's one paperback book right there.

As I dumped the rest of the mix in, the number quickly rose. Twelve bucks. That's almost two books already! Then twenty, thirty, fourty, fifty...

I ended up with $55.34. That's a ton of books on amazon. Finally I can use the library less and buy some of those AWers' books I've been meaning to get.

Gather your change and get yourself to the coinstar! Or the bank, but that's another story...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
For a moment I thought you were talking about Loose Change, one of the 9/11's most professional crackpot conspirancy videos. Good you did something good with that money!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No conspiracy videos were harmed in the making of this tale :)

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
The coinstars up in Canada charge 10% or something like that. How do you guys get away with free ones? Or is it just if you get the gift cards, which we can't do here.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I just did a quick check and it looks like Coinstar Canada doesn't have the free gift card option. That's not fair. You should write someone about that :)

I'm assuming Amazon pays off Coinstar.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, 55 bucks is a lot to spend.

So, along with some novels, I was going to get Mass' Writing the Breakout novel.... is the Workbook the same as the 'regular' book but with a little extra?

Any other ideas? Something that would be good to have around, not just get from the library as needed... (I have a few writing books, but I won't list 'em here)

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I think the workbook is just an accompanying volume. If I were in your place, I'd just get the book and not the workbook. Great choice!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, the entire library system around me doesn't have either Breakout book. The workbook turns out to be a more modern version, with some areas condensed and a lot of material added. Thus I thought to buy the workbook and get the original from the library. (No offense Yeshanu :) )

But ofc, no dice. I'm now tempted to buy both and donate the older version to the library after reading it.

/rant

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I have the book and the work book and there is a lot of info in the workbook not in the book. but either works without the other but i would take the book over the workbook if you only have to choose one. or you could save your money and find out whenhe's holding a workshop and go there. i've been to several of his. one two day workshop where i learned more than i had in years before that. and one three hour workshop which also rocked.

I once had 60 dollars in gift cards to chapters and i didn't know what books to get. i thought my head would explode. lol