• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

TTA Press / Crimewave Magazine

Lucy Joseph

Registered
Reaction score
Add Crimewave in there too...

The detective fiction mag. They seem to have two web sites, http://www.gryphonbooks.com/ and http://kennydb.com/index.html. As far as I can tell, the last issue was in April 08, but I can't tell if the web sites are being updated or even which one is the newest site.

I'm having the same problem with Crimewave Magazine. Anyone have any new info? Or any ideas where to send a amateur sleuth story- I've sent previous versions to EQ and Alfred Hitchcock so those are out.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Crimewave comes out when Andy Cox has enough stories. It really operates more like an anthology series than a magazine

Lucy Joseph

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw Crimewave's new site. It says nothing about submissions or even about short stories, which is why I was wondering what the deal is... Also, the newest issue is a DVD, so I don't know if there are any short stories in there or what. It says: interviews, reviews and MORE!!! I suppose I could order the thing, but money is tight and they are sold out anyway.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Just had a story accepted by Interzone, a SFF magazine that's also under the TTA umbrella. The third part of their magazine superforce is Black Static, a more horror-centric magazine.

eschluessel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, it feels weird for me, a novice writer, to be raising something about Interzone, one of the best-respected semi-pro magazines in SF, but there's been some discussion recently within the SFWA, people saying TTA no longer issues contracts with sales? Is that right?

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
TTA Press

A general word of caution regarding TTA Press. I probably don't need to be this detailed here, but I feel like I need to be given the circumstances.

On 6/8, I sold my story ‘Tumblebush’ to TTA for Interzone; the story appears in the current issue 276. Very exciting. So I thought.

In the initial email, editor Andy Cox told me payment would be £39 (plus copy), sent via paypal shortly after publication. He also said he would be in touch soon. I expected communication regarding a contract, rights, timelines, etc. as is customary. His next communication was to share art associated with the story. It is amazing and I was thrilled. Then the issue goes up for sale on TTA's website. On 6/25 I emailed Cox regarding a contract. There was no reply. On 7/10, I email him again. No reply. On 7/25, after I received the contributor’s copy in the mail, I messaged him on Facebook about the contract. He emailed me to say there would not be a contract, and that he never used them. He also said that he told me this upon sale (he didn't).

I pressed him to define the rights and terms of the sale, which he defined as ' the right to publish your story for the first time in the English language, and nothing more.’ I had 'nothing to worry about.' Payment would be 'soon.' I would have never agreed to the sale without a contract or explicitly defined terms in writing. He said he would forward the email in which he explained to me the contract or lack thereof. I knew he wouldn't, because this never happened. At this point, I reached out to Writer's Beware for guidance on this issue. Obviously not getting rich off this sale, but I was concerned given the nature of the correspondence that payment was simply not going to happen.

Cut to 8/27. I emailed Andy again, following up on his expected communication and the payment. He asks me 'what difference does it make' that he never forward the email where he promised he explained to me the rights. As I told him, it makes a difference because it’s unprofessional. It makes a difference because he set an expectation for communication around a major point of concern and didn’t follow up on it, just as he didn’t acknowledge my initial emails to clarify the contract. It makes a difference because this expectation was founded on the false premise he had informed me there would be no contract, when he hadn’t. It makes a difference because my story was in print before I knew where I stood regarding rights and before I was paid. All of this could have been avoided with simple, common courtesy.

Andy did pay me 8/28. After consulting WB, I am posting this here as a word of caution to any who consider subbing to TTA. They produce great magazines, with great stories that receive award consideration but if you do submit, be advised of my experience.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if it makes a great deal of difference to anyone's overall opinion of TTA but I've been published by Andy three times (in Interzone and Black Static) and I've never had a contract - this is going back to 2013. I've always been paid on time, have always received my contributor's copy, and have never had a problem regarding rights to reprints. So, in truth, I'm not that troubled about there being no contract - Andy is very reliable. I'm also sure that if anyone wanted to ask him specific questions about rights, he'd be happy to answer.

Just my two cents, anyway.

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, crunchyblanket. Glad you had a positive experience.

As I detailed in my post, Andy did not acknowledge several attempts to clarify the rights and when he finally did, the experience deteriorated from there. What rights to reprints did your most recent story involve, if I can ask? When I did get an answer finally, I was told the rights were simply first rights to publish in English and nothing else. I suspect there are reprint rights associated with most or all TTA sales, given what I've gleaned from my research.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I've had two previous TTA Press stories reprinted in Year's Bests within a year of the original publication - I didn't consult Andy on either occasion and he's expressed no problem with either of them. Given the frequency with which Black Static/Interzone is published, I suspect Andy isn't too fussed about whether the stories end up in other places.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PS Publishing is taking over publication of Interzone. TTA's website currently doesn't say anything except that there won't be a January issue; PS Publishing's newsletter is a little more informative.