Editorial Changes, should I say something and risk offending the editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
Recently, a story of mine was published with editorial changes that I wasn't told about. I wouldn't be bothered so much if the changes made sense. But unfortunately for me, the changes ruin the story logic and make me look like a twat. I don't want to offend the editor (she's really nice) but I want to say something even though the story has been published in hard copy already and can't be changed back. I wonder if an assitant editor made the silly changes. I just don't know if telling the editor how I feel is the right thing to do.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
I just don't know if telling the editor how I feel is the right thing to do.

And I don't know either, but it's tough to sit back and say nothing.

I've had short stories slightly altered in a way I wouldn't have chosen, but nothing to the extent that I cringed about my name being on them. But I know a writer who was appalled that her story was changed to the extent that the person who edited it had someone running upstairs in a bungalow.

Sorry, that's not very helpful, but hopefully someone will be along soon to answer your question with more insight.

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm trying to hold off for the moment. I don't want to write to the editor while I'm still angry about it. I think I'll wait a couple of days to calm down. That may take a week, however. :)

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
But I know a writer who was appalled that her story was changed to the extent that the person who edited it had someone running upstairs in a bungalow..

Just popped in to ask the meaning of this expression "the person...in a bungalow".

Is this a current & popular American expression? To an Australian such as myself, who does not live in the US, it is quite bizarre.

LisaHy

It's probably a tumour
Registered
Reaction score
I think the issue is more that a bungalow only has the one level...

Of the editors I've worked with, none of them have made changes without my consent. Of course, my last 3 editorial experiences are yet to make it into print, so I don't really know if changes have been made behind my back.

It doesn't seem fair that this can happen. I had plenty of 'discussions' with one particular editor because we couldn't agree on a couple of pionts, but in the end, it all worked out and I saw it her way. :rolleyes: In the end, though, it was up to me to make any changes, not her.

I'm very non-confrontational, so I wouldn't say anything. I'd just avoid that editor in future.

Unless I was desperate.

Cheers, Lisa.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Just popped in to ask the meaning of this expression "the person...in a bungalow".

Is this a current & popular American expression? To an Australian such as myself, who does not live in the US, it is quite bizarre.

It's an English expression and is a single story house. You come across it a lot in older English literature. The train station on the Isle of Man, half way up to Snaefell is called The Bungalow, so the name is well known to motorcycle racing fanatics.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to offend the editor (she's really nice) but I want to say something even though the story has been published in hard copy already and can't be changed back.

I think the editor needs to know ... even if it's only for her own education. I had a lot to say to my second editor and even complained to the publisher the first time she suggested a number of changes I was astonished about. I fought hard for a number of points I cared about. We finished on very good terms.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Just handle it in a professional, non-judgmental way, no matter what you do.

I had an editor print a first person true story that should have been labeled "as told to ____ by____" but left out that pertinent fact. Therefore, everyone reading it who does not know me, thinks I've done things I have not, and those who do know me are having all kinds of thoughts about what went on. The editor is supposed to print a retraction/correction next month.

I would weigh the desire of being published here again against my desire to set matters straight. But what has been printed cannot be changed. That's the bad part. But maybe if you do want to publish here again, you could talk to those in charge about some ground rules.

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
I would weigh the desire of being published here again against my desire to set matters straight.

That's the real dilemma for me, as the editor has more of my work going into future issues, I like the editor, and the magazine is becoming high profile.

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
Check submission guidelines many contain some type of text like if accepted, submissions may be edited/changed before being published. If it has that text, i would let it go. If it does not, i would write a note like "thanks for accepting and publishing my work. so that i can better learn what you are looking for in your articles, would it be possible to know about any edits needed to my articles before publishing them so that i can get better at my craft." some kind of thing like that which will let you see the changes before hand but yet still being positive

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Oh yes. If you have more work coming out, you need to send a professional note to the editor expressing your concern that changes were made without having been passed by you. Frankly, common courtesy dictates that the author be notified of any intended edits.

That's the real dilemma for me, as the editor has more of my work going into future issues, I like the editor, and the magazine is becoming high profile.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
First, read your contract if you have one. If not, check the publication guidelines. If it says they have the right to make editorial revisions without your permission you approach the issue differently than if not stated. But in the end I believe you must contact the editor and discuss the revisions you refer to. No one says you have to be nasty, but how can you write and submit other articles (assuming you want to) without this information?

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
Scope you're absolutely right. I can't let this go when I have more work on the editor's desk.

I checked the contract. It states that the editor won't make changes without the author's permission. Yet she did just that. I will contact her about it, but I'm going to give myself a cooling down period first, as I said. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Scope you're absolutely right. I can't let this go when I have more work on the editor's desk.

I checked the contract. It states that the editor won't make changes without the author's permission. Yet she did just that. I will contact her about it, but I'm going to give myself a cooling down period first, as I said. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Bring the changes to her attention and point out that you did not approve them. Refer to the contract and ask that she make sure in the future that any changes are provided to you for your approval prior to publication. Whether you wish to mention your displeasure at the changes in the published story is up to you. She may get the gist without you having to say it outright, but you may feel better for saying it!

CasualObserver

Registered
Reaction score
Handle this via the post. It is far easier to be cordial and business-like in a written letter than by phone, where your tone might let too much slip. Also, I like Namatu's mention of choosing not to voice your displeasure openly. Unless the editor is sublimely stupid, there's pretty much zero chance s/he will think you're not at all bothered by having to contact her/him about changing the work in violation of a contract. (And if the editor is sublimely stupid, your outrage is going to go in one ear and out the other anyway.)

Sheesh, man, I'd be clawing at the walls in rage. My sympathies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Recently, a story of mine was published with editorial changes that I wasn't told about. I wouldn't be bothered so much if the changes made sense. But unfortunately for me, the changes ruin the story logic and make me look like a twat. I don't want to offend the editor (she's really nice) but I want to say something even though the story has been published in hard copy already and can't be changed back. I wonder if an assitant editor made the silly changes. I just don't know if telling the editor how I feel is the right thing to do.

Sometimes, it's better to not read your own work after someone buys it.

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have to read the work to notice the editor had changed the ending. I could see that at a glance.

Whether you wish to mention your displeasure at the changes in the published story is up to you. She may get the gist without you having to say it outright, but you may feel better for saying it!

You know, they say the editor is always right, and I'm not sure about that, but despite being unhappy about what she did to the story I have to accept that she probably had sound reasons for doing it/allowing it to be printed that way. I've calmed down over it quite some - at least when I pen her, I won't get all huffy and precious about it. Again, thanks for all the advice.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
No, the editor isn't always right.

I had an article messed about so much that none of it made sense. Yes, I complained and I withdrew two other articles they wanted to publish. I wouldn't touch them again with a ten-foot pole.

Demand the right to read before publication, if you decide to submit to them again.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
I don't want to offend the editor (she's really nice) but I want to say something even though the story has been published in hard copy already and can't be changed back.

What do you want to have happen? What do you want the editor to do as a result of your conversation?

Dale

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
You know, they say the editor is always right, and I'm not sure about that
Ha! I wish. I'd have everyone bowing at my feet. Sometimes an editor thinks he understands what the author intends, but is wrong. Sometimes an editor just thinks it sounds better. If your contract says you have approval over editorial changes, you have approval. The editor should not be making changes that are not run by you. Some punctuation, moving a phrase, sure. But significant alteration of the manuscript - changing the ending? No. You get approval.

but despite being unhappy about what she did to the story I have to accept that she probably had sound reasons for doing it/allowing it to be printed that way.
Maybe time was short, but between her changing it and it getting printed, at least a few days had to have passed (unless it's a newspaper). She could have shot you an email with one of those exclamation marks noting high importance and still run it by you. Maybe she just forgot. Regardless, remind her of her company's contractual obligations to you. It can be done politely, and she'll remember it next time.

I've calmed down over it quite some - at least when I pen her, I won't get all huffy and precious about it. Again, thanks for all the advice.
Ooh, precious. I like it. Good adjective.

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
I know I know. Maybe I'm just being a bit of a coward. Still haven't written to her about the changes she made to the ending. I keep telling myself it's okay, then I'm annoyed about it again for a while, then I wonder if it really matters in the whole scheme of things, in the long run ... in danger of being OC about it. Might be healthier if I just let it go. Mark it down as experience. Avoid that editor in future. I don't know.

Dale, I'm not sure what I want to happen. The story can't be changed back now. So what use complaining? My inexperience in these matters troubles me. Since then my time has been taken up with other editors, other stories. Perhaps I'm trying not to think about it. I mean, nobody died, right? :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm trying to hold off for the moment. I don't want to write to the editor while I'm still angry about it. I think I'll wait a couple of days to calm down. That may take a week, however. :)
Good way to deal with anything. When you're angry people don't hear what You're saying, or use your anger as a reason why you're wrong when you may very well be right.

Personally, I'd be offended not by the changes, but by the not running it past me first part.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you have problems with how an editor changed your story, and your contract (or submission guidelines) say that the publication is obligated to tell you of the changes before publishing, then you absolutely should talk with your editor. You should talk with her, anyway--you're not happy about your experience with this publication. Would you just "let it go" if you were overcharged for something, or you ordered something and what you received was a completely different and unsatisfactory product? Of course not. Writing for publication is just business. You submitted something, they accepted. There were rules both of you agreed to follow, and the pub didn't. So call them on it. Be polite, be honest, and as with any business transaction, don't take it personally.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Lauri is right.

I know I know. Maybe I'm just being a bit of a coward. Still haven't written to her about the changes she made to the ending. I keep telling myself it's okay, then I'm annoyed about it again for a while, then I wonder if it really matters in the whole scheme of things, in the long run ... in danger of being OC about it. Might be healthier if I just let it go. Mark it down as experience. Avoid that editor in future. I don't know.
Would you rather try to work out the issue with the editor or avoid a future source of income? You're vacillating over what to do, which likely means you want some kind of resolution/action.

Dale, I'm not sure what I want to happen. The story can't be changed back now. So what use complaining? My inexperience in these matters troubles me. Since then my time has been taken up with other editors, other stories. Perhaps I'm trying not to think about it. I mean, nobody died, right? :)
Right, nobody died, but business is business. You may feel inexperienced, but this is the moment to get that experience - and you will be better armed the next time something like this happens!

---
Dear Editor,

While I was pleased to see my story TITLE appear in your <date> PUBLICATION, I was surprised to find the ending (and/or other areas as applicable) of the work had been changed. Under the terms of the contract I signed with COMPANY, section <blahblah>, point <blip>, the author has approval over all manuscript changes prior to publication. Had I seen these changes in advance, there are several I would not have approved.

Should we have the opportunity to work together in the future, please make certain to run all manuscript changes by me prior to publication, as stated in the contract.

Sincerely,

YOU
---

There, a rough template to tailor to your purposes. It contains nothing offensive or defensive, just plain and simple "this is the contract, this is where the contract was not upheld." Use it or not, as you wish, but I'll be ornery and say I think you should contact the editor.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com

Take care not to discount your important needs here.

Given that you have an ongoing relationship with this editor, I'd guess that your relationship with the editor is important to you. And part of that is understanding each other's roles clearly, and also being able to renegotiate roles as you learn from your experience with each other.

You've learned, for example, that the editor sometimes makes edits without your permission. You hadn't expected that, and it's important to you. Given that it's your name attached to the published words, you have a legitimate, significant interest in making sure that the words represent you.

If I were in that situation, I would want to renegotiate how we decide exactly which words are published. I might want the editor's commitment to give me absolute final say about what words are published, but that's unlikely given that the publisher also has a legitimate interest in choosing the words.

I would definitely want the editor's commitment to submit edits to me for review before publishing. The editor may not be willing to give that, but it's okay to want it, and it's okay to ask for it.

At the very least, I would want some clarity about the circumstances under which the editor will make changes without offering me an opportunity to review, and what kinds of changes the editor will make without my review. It may not be possible to specify those things precisely, but I would surely want a conversation in which we at least try to describe them.

Your needs may differ from mine. Whatever your needs, I encourage you not to discount them. The challenge is to clarify what you need for yourself and what you want from the editor. And once you've clarified those things, ask for what you want.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.