Over use of possessive pronouns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Pudge*

Getting on with it, slooowly
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been reading through my WIP and have noticed that I am over using 'HER'.

Also I over use the characters names.

How can I correct this?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure you are? Sometimes it's hard not to use either the character's name or a pronoun a lot.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you judge it to be genuine overuse, you can establish ownership of the item, emotion, situation, whatever, early on, then refer to it as the _______. Let me dash off something and try it. (With apologies and a grin for Susie.) Compare and contrast:

Nobody knew Susie had rented and filled her meat storage locker with chocolate of every type. She kept her mouth shut, too, visiting her stash daily while she ran her errands, enjoying her various pastries and confections in her car. Among friends and family, she could even wonder aloud why her extra pounds refused to leave in spite of her healthy diet. Lots of hers, right?

Nobody knew Susie had rented a meat storage locker and filled it with chocolate of every type. She could keep a secret, too, visiting the stash daily while she ran other errands, enjoying the various pastries and confections in the car. Among friends and family, she could even wonder aloud why those stubborn pounds refused to leave in spite of the healthy diet she claimed to follow.

Lots of opportunities there for her, but all of them sidestepped. Try that with one paragraph of your own work and see if you can reduce the count.

Maryn, hoping this helps

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are you writing in first or third person?

In first, instead of saying things like, "I saw the sun come up," lop off the 'I' and simply say, "The sun came up." You're in first person. It's obvious your character saw it.

In third...might be a bit harder to do.

scarletpeaches, noting Maryn used 'she' four times in the above example. :D

(Sorry...just being mischievous...)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's all telling - and dull.

Try using a stronger POV. Simply stop and think about how you can say the same thing without using the pronouns. Turn the sentence around -reword it -play with words.

You only need to discover how to do it once.

This question really has nothing to do with grammar.

Last edited:

*Pudge*

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All

*waves* at bufty

Thank you for all of your responses - and noted overuse - one word! *embarrassed*

Ok so here's an example from an old post of mine in SYW

Somehow she (1) knew it was tonight. She(1) was relieved that it would happen at home. She(2) was so much more content in her own bed. The fitful dreams that had accompanied her(2) hospital stay had significantly reduced since returning home. Of course the odd night she (2) had still been plagued by the nightmares.

The numbers are to represent character 1 and charater 2, I find that sometimes I confuse the reader by not distingushing between the characters sufficiently. When I try to correct this I end up overusing their names.

Am I looking into this too much?

Thaks again for all the input.

Last edited:

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow she (1) knew it was tonight. She(1) was relieved that it would happen at home. She(2) was so much more content in her own bed. The fitful dreams that had accompanied her(2) hospital stay had significantly reduced since returning home. Of course the odd night she (2) had still been plagued by the nightmares.

The numbers are to represent character 1 and charater 2, I find that sometimes I confuse the reader by not distingushing between the characters sufficiently. When I try to correct this I end up overusing their names.

When a scene involves one she and one he, you get a special break with the pronouns. Anything else*--two shes, two hes, or more than two chars--requires careful handling to avoid confusion.

Pronouns refer back to the most recently mentioned eligible noun. (Obviously, she isn't referring to tonight or home.) That's the pattern you need to keep in mind.

If the paragraph preceding this was clearly about she(1), you're fine using she in the first two sentences. If there's any doubt about that however, you should use a proper name in the first sentence, but the second is still OK.

You do need to use a proper name at the beginning of the third sentence, "She(2) was so much more..." Following that, though, the pronouns would point at that name, so the remaining her and she are OK.

*Unless you're in 1st person where one of them is I.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Are you writing in first or third person?

In first, instead of saying things like, "I saw the sun come up," lop off the 'I' and simply say, "The sun came up." You're in first person. It's obvious your character saw it.

In third...might be a bit harder to do.

Nah. Same principle applies. If you've properly established a consistent narrative POV, you don't need to say "She saw the sun come up" anymore than you need to say "I saw the sun come up."

caw

Reaction score
Dammit, yeah, you got me. Can I excuse myself by saying I was coasting on three hours' sleep when I wrote that?

*scoots away again*

ETA: Actually I think what I meant was, say you have two characters in a chapter, third person. You might have to indicate who saw what, or who is thinking, hence the need for personal pronouns. In first person, there's no need for this because it's clear from the outset - or should be - in whose head you are. If you see what I mean.

Blarg. Still tired. Sorry.

Reaction score
Nothing exciting. Insomnia, that's all. I wish it was something a bit more saucy than that, but no. Bah. :(

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score

Don't worry about "overusing" a word. Worry about using words clearly.

The problem with that passage isn't that you're using "she" and "her" too often, it's that you're using them to refer to two different people without making clear which person you mean.

If you just drop each person's name in once, then the successive "she" and "her" are assumed to be that person until you introduce a new name.

Somehow Karen knew it was tonight. She was relieved that it would happen at home. Mary was so much more content in her own bed. The fitful dreams that had accompanied her hospital stay had significantly reduced since returning home. Of course the odd night she had still been plagued by the nightmares.

The last sentence is a bit confusing; it's a colloquialism that doesn't translate that well to print.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been reading through my WIP and have noticed that I am over using 'HER'.
. . . . .
How can I correct this?

Switch to a male protagonists?

Seriously, the purpose for the development of pronouns, possessive pronouns included, was to reduce the use of proper nouns in speech.

Sounds like you're doing a good job of not overdoing names.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Maryn hits the nail home one more time. Other than "she", "he" or "I" and the likes, overuse of anything else is a big no in fiction. An electic mix of words is the key for success.

Last edited:

*Pudge*

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all again.

Icecreamprincess - Thank you for your example.

Thinking about what bufty said, is that example too telling?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not if it conveys what you want to get across. Within the context of the story maybe these episodes don't warrant detailed showing.

Thank you all again.

Icecreamprincess - Thank you for your example.

Thinking about what bufty said, is that example too telling?

Status
Not open for further replies.