• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Immortal Jellyfish?

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Frankly, the potential terrifies me.

Turritopsis Nutricula is technically known as a hydrozoan and is the only known animal that is capable of reverting completely to its younger self.

It does this through the cell development process of transdifferentiation.

Scientists believe the cycle can repeat indefinitely, rendering it potentially immortal.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
They be immortal, but they be spineless. We can stare them down across the negotiating table and make them our bitches, every time!
Cowards, spineless cowards, going where the current takes them, I say!

I think my Chinese co-workers let me eat a jellyfish once, it was ghastly. Well, ghastly not in taste but in consistency. Or maybe they were just pulling my leg, I dunno. I look up and everyone's watching me, and one guy laughs "How do you like your JELLYFISH?"

Their carry out was excellent, except for the one possible jellyfish incident. But if THAT jellyfish was immortal ... he ain't immortal anymore!

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is cancer research all over this yet?

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I for one welcome our new jellyfish overlords.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I for one welcome our new jellyfish overlords.

My point is, they're not exactly racing the mighty salmon up waterfalls, right? My only crisis with jellyfish so far has been, Did I accidently eat one? Not quite the crowns of creation, if you have to worry about NOT eating them.

That said, Portugese Man of Wars used to wash up on the beach, and definitely everyone was "You don't even want to go near that thing. It won't actually pounce per se ... but you'll regret ever going too near"

Why, you ask?

Blow gun darts, I reply. Immortal, helium-filled, flying jellyfish with blow guns!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Is cancer research all over this yet?

yes, at least they are studying why the Great White Shark does not seem to senesce. They just keep getting bigger until there isn't enough food for them to survive (assuming they aren't killed first) From the description it sounds like that jelly has a different process. I'd like a link on the jellyfish.

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
Those jellyfish may be able to live forever by reverting to a younger stage in their lifecycle, but they are not invulnerable.

Furthermore, one-celled organisms are essentially immortal in much the same way. They multiply by dividing, disappearing into their offspring.