Pushing fictional boundaries with an interactive novel on Facebook

Songsfromtheother

Registered
Reaction score
I can't see an appropriate forum so I hope this is OK :) I'm writing my next novel, The Man Who Painted Agnieszka's Shoes, wholly on Facebook, where it has its own group of the same name. I'll be writing interactively and in real time as an experiment in removing the barriers between readers and writers, and going back to the days of oral storytellers whose tales evolved along with their audience. It seems to me that blogging, for all its interest, isn't actually driving fiction forward into new realms, and I'd love to see what can be done by laying the writing process bare - letting readers watch me edit and make mistakes (like you get on a DVD), as well as contributing to the story's direction. I'd so love anyone and everyone to come and join the group and watch/participate and bring your friends.

Here's the blurb for the story

In 2009, one image became as iconic as the face of Che Guevara.
Reproduced and recreated a thousand times, it was the clarion call of the right wing press, the poster on every student’s wall, the logo for anti-capitalism and a national environmental campaign, and the subject of a Turner-prize winning work by the world’s most secretive artist. It was the image of a pair of silver and green Mercury 500 trainers.
Agnieszka Ivanova came to Britain from Poland with nothing, built a cleaning business from scratch and made a fortune. In December 2008 she died in a bizarre gym accident, pulled under a treadmill with only her feet sticking out. Her friend filmed the whole thing. It was the most watched clip of all time on Youtube; a PR bonanza gone sour that led to the suicide of Mercury’s CEO; and it spawned an icon.
When Epoch magazine commission Dan Griffiths to produce the cover for its Review of the Year, there’s only one image he can use. But how can he create a version of the picture that’s fresh and new? Dan’s search to get under the skin of the image’s myriad variations soon turns into an obsession with the woman behind the picture. But the deeper he looks, the less certain it becomes that Agnieszka existed at all.

And the opening para as a teaser

It’s nearly midnight, but I know my boss will call tonight, and I know what she’ll say, which is why I’ve watched Agnieszka die 103 times since I woke. In that time, the clip has had 17,392 views. It’s impossible to know without digging how many individuals that represents. Many will have watched more times than me, going without meals to feed their addiction to her death, not stopping to slow the footage down as I do, just running it again and again like an Andy Warhol experiment.