2-yr old girl found wandering the snowy streets at 4 AM (just blocks from my home!)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My son has always been a sleepwalker. Thankfully he hasn't stepped outside yet. We have an alarm system and it goes off when the door opens, but that is the only assurance we have. He's 13, now...so we're not as worried, but it was horrifying to find him as a 3 and 4 year-old, just standing somewhere in the house staring off into space.

Kids, whether sleepwalking or not, often get up in the night. Parents don't always hear them. I think if this happens once the parent can take measures to ensure it doesn't happen again...but until it happens that first time you're just lucky if it doesn't. This lady may install a simple chain lock at the top of the door...a good measure for any parent with nightcrawlers. I, for one, can't hold her responsible for an unfortunate incident. It does happen ALL the time.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The same is true for Altzheimers patients, as well. They sneak out and begin to wander.

Yep. My grandmother wandered from the care facility she was in. She was in her nightgown and was found about a half mile away in an open field in the middle of the winter. She was on her way home. Someone driving by spotting her and returned her. I think there was a stink and a change to security measures after that, if I recall correctly.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Independent children give you gray hairs 20 yrs sooner than dependant kids. It's not a proven fact but i bet they can prove it if they tried.

how smart was she to not go anywhere near the fire and wait for it to cool down. Although one would think that at somepoint she'd realize that maybe fire shouldnt be in a house and mommie might take a look at it. Didn't she say anything to grandma?

Your daughter is one calm and collected cookie.

I'm glad your house didnt burn down. and that no one was hurt. for smoke, supposedle if you leave bowls iwth cut in half lemons lying around they absort the smell.

wow.

Yeah...she also started picking locks at age three.

She only informed grandma that she was cooking.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Oh lord. Don't let her heat up an egg in there.

(The explosion can be pretty cool, though.) :)

Actually she already knows how to boil an egg...so that's not the problem.

She just didn't connect specially pre-prepared microwavable chocolate sauce to not being the same as toll house chocolate chips.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Going to padlock my toddlers to bowling balls right now. It's darn scary. They do get up. They do wander. Mine usually go straight to the freezer to help themselves to ice cream. The evidence is pretty easy to find.

Glad it wasn't a tragedy, only a frightening memory for all.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Small children are resourceful, quick, and fearless. This has happened to almost everyone I know, in some shape or form, myself included.
I know. When my sister was 3, she crept out onto the fire escape of my parents' third floor apartment and "tight rope walked" on the narrow metal railing in her brand new patent leather shoes. My other sister, who was 4, went inside and told my mom to come watch the neat circus trick.

Somehow my mom stayed cool and got her down.