Publishing questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtySyko

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not very schooled in the publishing scene. I don't know much about it, and I'm doing my best to learn everything I'll need to know. Which brings me to my question...

If I self publish a book going through www.lulu.com, would there be any chance later on I could get a real publisher to publish it? I'm not sure how it all works to be honest. If I self publish it and find out my friends and a few other people who buy it really enjoy it, I may want to actually publish-publish the book... But I'm not sure if going through lulu would ruin my chances of a real publishing opportunity.

I'm young a naive, but I'm trying...

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
The short answer is yes, but the odds are stacked against you.

I've heard reports of self published authors receiving real offers from a "real" publisher after having achieved sales of several thousand books. The contract with Lulu I believe allows you to cancel with them, but you should consult with the illuminaries on AW about the legalities. Chances are though if you think your manuscript is good enough to sell several thousand copies, you might skip Lulu and actively seek an agent or publisher. If you believe your only going to sell a few hundred copies, POD with Lulu or similar outfit might be the way to go. Either way the key is to not sign away your rights to the book. If you do choose Lulu or similar print of demand shop, have a freelance book editor experienced in your genre work with your manuscript to help ensuring its marketability and professional appearence. Well that is my non-professional two cents.

Mike

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Lulu is really more of a printer. You don't actually sign a contract with them that I know of. They just keep printing your book as long as you want to keep it in print and someone orders it. You can "unpublish" it at anytime.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would say it is unlikely but possible. If you just want a few copies for friends I suggest going direct to a printshop--that won't be considered as previously published and lulu might.

Status
Not open for further replies.