ONE HUNDRED BOOKS

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
So we're reading 100 books this year. Or fifty, if you're in for the half-marathon. Fiction, non-fiction, adult and YA all count.

THE RULES:

1. every five books you read, pop back in here and let us know.

2. short YA, novellas, and even quality middle grade books count. No picture books, though. Graphic novels count. Comic books don't.

3. let us all know if you've read something incredibly astonishing and you're just bursting with it.

4. rereading books from other years is okay -- but the same book shouldn't count twice this year.

5. don't force yourself to finish a book you aren't enjoying. Move on!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I am going to read 100 books in 2009. And document them. I just decided this today. So far:

The Luxe
Teach Me
Sweethearts
The Adoration of Jenna Fox
Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse (adult)
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Madapple
Lottery (adult)

So far, I'm on track for a book every 3.65 days. I figure if I allow myself 3 or 4 YA books for every adult book, I should reach my goal. Of course I read a ton of books anyway, but I never document them. The library is my friend.

What have you read this year so far?
Anybody want to match me?
100 books in 2009?
LET'S DO THIS!

Last edited:

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
I could match you ;)

It's on!

Books I've read so far in 2009
- Stepsister Scheme
- Gang Leader for a Day
- Graceling
- Our America
- Whatever It Takes
- Sookie Stackhouse #1-3 (got the others lined up)
- Pendragon (that thing that came out in early January)
- Blood Beast
- My Sister's Keeper
- Marley & Me
- Eon

Got some lined up on the shelf that I can't remember...i'm in a dining hall

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
My target was fifty. It's not yet February and I'm falling behind already. Let's get some short YA books (and adult novellas) in!

So far:

Handcuffs (Bethany Griffin)
Ink (Hal Duncan) (adult - just over halfway through)

Last edited:

absentnormality

Queen of sensible stupidity
Registered
Reaction score
I tried this a few years ago and gave up after January, would love to try again though. So far I've read:
What Katy did (Susan Coolidge)
Caddy Ever After (Hilary McKay)
Forever Rose (Hilary McKay)

And I'm halfway through:
The Outsiders (S. E. Hinton)
Slave Girl (Jackie French)
The Moonstone (Wilkie Collins)
Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)

I'm behind but should finish The Outsiders and Little Women today at some point.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
wandergirl:
I am going to read 100 books in 2009. And document them. I just decided this today.

I think this is a great discipline to get into. I've kept a review journal on LJ for the last three years, setting out my thoughts on each book I've read. I find it helps me to work out what I like and dislike in fiction.

I've never managed to read 100 books in a year (most I've managed is 72 and that included a few sneaky novellas) but I do try to get through a book a week.

So far my total for the year is 2:

1. Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (which I'd started in 2008); and

2. Gordath Wood by Patrice Sarath.

I'm currently reading Burial by Neil Cross, which is an adult thriller.

MM

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
HI EVERYONE

You guys are awesome. I know 100 is a pretty wild goal, especially when I've been wanting to read the third book in the A Song of Ice and Fire Trilogy, and that baby's 1200 words, told in 15 or so viewpoints... which would slow me down a bit.

How about some rules?

1. every five books you read, pop back in here and let us know.

2. short YA, novellas, and even quality middle grade books count. No picture books, though. Graphic novels count. Comic books don't.

3. also let us know if you've read something incredibly astonishing and you're just bursting with it.

How does that sound? any have ideas for improvement? I think this will be fun. yay reading!

Kossemix, that's pretty amazing. And you're in college full-time? That was definitely the era where I tapered off in my reading, due to... studying, of course!

Memento Mori, very cool idea with the Livejournal. I like the idea of it being just for me. Any time I considered reviewing everything on Goodreads or Amazon, I would decided not to -- because I'd insist on every review being well-written, and I'm already a working writer, it always seemed like unpaid work.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Hey, I'm in, too! I actually decided to set up a twitter with quick reviews of the books I read this year. My twitter name is KReads - check it out!

So far I've read:

How I Live Now
What I Was
The Time Traveler's Wife (for the AW book club)
Mansfield Park
The first three books in The Wheel of Time series: The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn (I'm pretty sure I'm done with those)

Looking forward to a big reading year!!! Good luck everyone!

Reaction score
I read 115 last year. :D

The most I've ever managed was around 150, but my average is 120-ish.

*finishes showing off and goes away*

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow 100 books is impressive. I manage about 1 a week but have never documented it. I'll start now. =)

So far for me in 2009:

The Sweet and Far Thing (started it last week in Dec, it counts!)
Evernight
The Hunger Games
Masquerade

nayner

Needs more sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if I can do 100 for the year, as my new year's resolution was 2 a month. I may have to switch it up to 2 a week. :) But either way, I'll definitely be checking this thread out to get some recs.

I've already read
How I live now -meg rosoff
Outsiders - S.E. hinton.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
wandergirl:
Any time I considered reviewing everything on Goodreads or Amazon, I would decided not to -- because I'd insist on every review being well-written, and I'm already a working writer, it always seemed like unpaid work.

Actually I do post condensed versions of my LJ reviews up on Amazon UK. In fact, after doing it for about a year, I got invited to join their Vine programme, which gives you free books, DVDs and other stuff on condition that you write a review about it.

I've had some good stuff out of it and it helps to keep me disciplined as well as reducing my dependency on the 3 for 2 table at Borders :). Amazon UK don't require lengthy reviews - a lot of people on the programme just do a brief paragraph setting out their views - and it's helped put me in touch with some interesting people who've stopped by my LJ to say hello. The only thing is that the Vine program is something that they have to ask you to join and like I said, I'd been posting reviews for about a year before getting an invite, but for me it's been worth it.

MM

Reaction score
I can't resist the temptation to re-read favourite books rather than try new stuff.
Mind you, I'm incredibly poor, so I have an excuse not to buy new books. :D

I recommend buying books on the five-finger discount. :D

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
I recommend buying books on the five-finger discount. :D

I'll start with The Book Thief.

I'm just going to pretend you two mean the library. lol.

I only really discovered the whole library holding process a few months ago. I live in San Diego, which has dozens of branch libraries, and I used to drive out to the branch that had a book I wanted. Now, all the books I've been meaning to read are delivered to me! MAGICAL. It works well most of the time -- I just got The Graveyard Book delivered here -- but I'm number 17 on the list for Graceling. hmm.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
I can't resist the temptation to re-read favourite books rather than try new stuff.

You know, I used to be a serial re-reader. I probably read Watership Down ten times. There's something extremely comforting about revisiting your favorite characters and situations, and after a few rereads, truly knowing the book. It's funny how many people can rewatch movies a trillion times, but won't ever consider rereading a book.

BUT: the other side of the coin is that I wouldn't only reread good books, books it was worthwhile to know well. I actually blogged about this recently. In high school I'd re-read crappy old copies of Babysitter's Club books, Dean Koontz novels, whatever was around the house. And I consider those wasted hours. In the same way watching Friends and Sex and the City reruns is a waste. Life time lost. That's what this *~*ONE HUNDRED BOOKS*~* thing is all about.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Since I'm on a posting roll, I just want to add:

4. Rereading books from other years is okay -- but the same book shouldn't count twice this year.

5. Don't force yourself to finish a book you aren't enjoying. Move on!*

*I used to make myself finish every book. But recently, I have decided life is too short. Also, when you're not excited about something, it really murders your momentum.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Would Toddler Taming count..? :D

Also getting started with About A Boy and The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat :)

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I could do it too, but I can't go to the library right now and I would be a month behind. Despite that at the moment I'm reading:

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (again)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Inkheart (don't know who the author is off the top of my head and I'm not getting up to check)

I've also got to read Harry Potter 6 before the movie comes out.

MLC23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.miriamcaldwell.com
Can I play?

I must admit that I am a huge rereader. Ashamedly I only buy books that I want to reread. I've got limited space, and so I've got to love the book to buy it.

So far this year I've read

(I've been on a bit of a Meg Cabot kick--but she's out of my system now)

Nicola and the Viscount
Victoria and the Rogue
Princess Mia
Princess on the Brink
Forever Princess
The first 3 in the 1 800 Where RU series

And I reread Princess Academy

I'm rereading Hunger Games--I'm rewriting my first chapter, and decided to reread the first chapter of my top five favorite books, and I just couldn't put it down.

As far as books I want to read, I've got quite a few that are coming out this year, that I will buy because of the author or it is in a known series that I love.

Alexandra.Oliva

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexandra-oliva.com
Okay I started reading this thread thinking, oh I'll just throw in a suggestion for people because I can't do much more than finish writing my own book this year.... Of course I quickly became far too tempted and am going to try this little challenge out!

First off, I'd like to suggest to anyone that's interested in a somewhat dark, entirely interesting, and unbelievably addictive book, they read The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (Canadian, wha?!), anyways it's an incredible book that was published this past summer.

As for myself here's my list so far though it's mainly been for research purposes:
Rebel Angels - Libba Bray
The Sweet Far Thing - Libba Bray

Clearly I have some catching up to do... I'm on it.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I have to admit, one of the things that has been hard for me being an almost-published author is that i just don't have as much time to read. *sad* However, I think I can manage about thirty books this year!!

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who don't quite think you can make it, I think 50 is definitely an acceptable goal... we can call it the half-marathon. And 25 a quarter :)

I'm tracking the books I read on GoodReads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1952311
If anybody else does the same -- not all the books you've ever read, but this year's -- let me know!

Ashamedly I only buy books that I want to reread. I've got limited space, and so I've got to love the book to buy it.

Me too, with the exception of mad bouts of buying at second-hand book sales. I just bought new copies of The Road and The Book Thief, both which I first read from the library. love. Also Lolita, my favorite book, because my other copy's trashed. When I have the money to financially support every single author, I will. But for now, yay library card!

nayner

Needs more sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who don't quite think you can make it, I think 50 is definitely an acceptable goal... we can call it the half-marathon. And 25 a quarter :)

Woot! Than I'm definitely in! I'm going to aim for 50 but not feel bad if I only hit 25.

has anyone else read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist? I'm finding it hard to get into...