Writing the synopsis: The long one, short one, and brief one. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I followed the information in the SYW Query/Synopsis forum as closely as I could and wrote a synopsis for my novel. It was ten pages. I worked at it and worked at it until I hacked it down to a little over five double-spaced pages. There is NOT a single subplot in there, unless it directly affects the main plot.

So there was my "long" synopsis. Posted in SYW for your reading pleasure.

Next I hacked away even more down to a "short" synopsis. I don't know how I did it, but now just about everything is glossed over but the key points and key characters are there, but no real details are given.

That was my "short" synopsis at just over two double-spaced pages.

Now, here's the question. How do I write a one-page synopsis?

I thought the long synopsis was hard. As I continue to research agents, I noted that some wanted a one-page synopsis.

I'm at the point now where I'm referring to the back cover copy of True Believer by Nicholas Sparks as a model for a synopsis. And what I've written certainly could masquerade as back cover copy for my book, but only the MC's name is mentioned as well as brief plot highlights. It clocks in at 138 words. But, since I've left out just about everything important that leads up to the climax, I didn't mention the ending which is what you're supposed to do in a synopsis.

How can I mention the ending when I've left out so many other things? It wouldn't make sense.

Advice?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding from talking to various editors and agents is that the focus of the synopsis is on the central/main story line and the rising of conflicts and stakes. No subplots, few plot layers, just the major conflicts and stakes. Varying the page length requirement just allows a little more detail in how the stakes are built and how they matter to the characters.

Hope that helps.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
When it comes to the one page synopsis, I've always single-spaced it, with double-spacing between paragraphs. No one has ever complained, and you can get a bit more story in there than if you double it.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The short synopsis can be single-spaced, with a hard return between paragraphs. It lets you put more info per page, and it's the format I've always used.

As for writing the synopsis, I've found that it's easier to start small and then expand. And when I say small, I mean your one-sentence pitch. One sentence that sums up your novel. Start with that. Then turn that single sentence into three. Then a paragraph. Expand it slowly, using only the most necessary moments to convey the story.

Sometimes it's easier to start with a seed and add water, than it is to trim down a grown bush. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.