Forrest Gump by Winston Groom. Also, as it compares to the movie.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'd like to discuss Forrest Gump as a novel, and how it compares to the movie with Tom Hanks.

Also up for discussion, how would you, as an author, react if a filmmaker drastically changed your book into the film version?

It goes without saying the two are almost diametrically opposite from each other. In the book, Forrest is built like a linebacker and has autism. Not so in the film. I heard once that the filmmakers decided not to mention his autism to avoid comparisons to Rain Man. I don't know how true that is, but it's what I heard.

I saw an interview with Penny Marshall once about the making of Forrest Gump where she got a hold of the novel and read the first line: "Let me say this: bein an idiot is no box of chocolates." Marshall said she read that first line and loved it.

What I think is strange is that I believe FG was originally self published. The copyright page reads: Copyright 1986 Perch Creek Realty and Investments Corp. It was only picked up by Doubleday after the film was optioned.

Aside from those technicalities, the book overall is not a bad read, but I found Forrest's first person narrative to get kind of tiresome, with all the purposeful misspellings and utter cluelessness about the world around him. He does many things in the book that don't appear in the film, like flying out to space and landing on a jungle island.

The book kind of reads like a series of misadventures, one after another until it finally ends. Wish I could comment further, but my copy of FG is currently buried in stacks of books waiting to be re-shelved.

Comments?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It was one of the very rare cases where the book was a disappointment in comparison to the movie. I usually love the book a great deal more than I love the movie. I was unimpressed with this book. I found it so silly that I had to force myself to plow through.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
What Kevin says. Though I also found the film The English patient much better than the book.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've come to accept that it's rare that a novel can be made into a film without drastic changes. There are exceptions (I think the movie To Kill a Mockingbird is very close to the book), but a novel is often too long and complex to be made into a 95-minute movie without it being radically different. Of course, sometimes movie studios throw everything away except for the main character and the title (and sometimes even that).

As for Forrest Gump, it's been a long since I've read the book or seen the movie. The main difference I remember is that the movie left out the part where Forest becomes a pro wrestler (The Turd?).

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The chimp too. Don't forget the chimp.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
This was one of the funniest books I've ever read. The movie is highly crafted and emotionally deep, while the book slops through a pigpen of absurdities and politically incorrectness worthy of early National Lampoon.

Boola boola! I still laugh when I think of those cannibals chasing Forrest through that island jungle. Cannibals led by a former Yale man, of course.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the movie was wretched and I couldn't get all the way through it. Too cheesy and maudlin for me. I picked up the book at the suggestion of a friend and I loved it! It is pretty episodic, just a strange character having a series of strange adventures. I thought it was hilarious and touching.