What's this thing called, Love? (Truckdrivers)

EdCarroll

Registered
Reaction score
What do you call the nylon straps that are tightened using a ratchet-like handle and used to secure the load on the trailer?

And what do you call the stick with which you bonk the tires to ensure they are properly inflated?

Thanks,

Ed

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The tire thing is usually called a thumper.

I would call the strap a tie-down, but there might be something else that truck drivers use.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Ratchet straps. Seems to be the popular name in these parts anyway (UK).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A thumper makes a nice, little blackjack, by the way.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for tie-downs too. And the ratchet thingy is called a come-along, I believe.

SarahDavidson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
A come-along is a specific tool used to pull things tight--a good example being chain link fencing--and hold them in place until they can be secured. Not everything that ratchets is a come-along. I dunno about the tire thing, but here's another vote for tie-downs.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A come-along is a specific tool used to pull things tight--a good example being chain link fencing--and hold them in place until they can be secured. Not everything that ratchets is a come-along. I dunno about the tire thing, but here's another vote for tie-downs.

Oh that's true. Some tie-downs come with their own ratchets built in. Now that I think of it, that's probably what the OP was asking for. The link goes to a picture and description of them.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I called them ratchet straps...I wasn't a trucker, but I drove a cargo van expediting cargo, until I kept getting panic attacks on the road. Anywho, ratchet straps.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard them called both things during my time at transport companies. I've also heard them being called other things, especially when they come loose while hauling a four or five tonne roll of paper!

EdCarroll

Registered
Reaction score
I like ratchet straps too.

And Alleycat, that's what I was thinking:
A thumper makes a nice, little blackjack, by the way.

The bus driver will say, ". . . and without my tire thumper I'll have to use my wits to get out of this one."

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The bus driver will say, ". . . and without my tire thumper I'll have to use my wits to get out of this one."
But . . . will your readers know what that is, unless you've had an earlier scene where the guy used a thumper? You had to ask what it was called; I'm sure a lot of other people won't have known either.

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
My sister is a truck driver. She always calls them tie-downs.

Edit: I asked her today and she agree with thumper for the tire thing. She drives a flat bed truck and is very familiar with tie-downs. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll ask her.

Last edited:

cindystubbs

Registered
Reaction score
tie down strap

My husband was a truck driver. Called a binding strap or a tie down strap either way. A tire knocker is what you call the tire thing.