Suggestion for edited collection of ghost stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Being new to this whole writing process, I am now finally at the step of finding out about how to publish my work.

I'm having a bit of difficulty though, as the book doesn't quite fit the mold. It's a collection of ghost stories that I've gathered from 19th c. newspapers. These were true accounts (most have real explanations), so I believe it would fall into the nonfiction category? But there is also some period poetry included as well, which is clearly fiction. Put together, though, they provide a fascinating glimpse into the cultural history of the period.

It is also a regional piece. I know that there is a market for it, but I am not sure who would take it on. The closest similar books on the market (though in a different region) would be books like the Ghosts of Gettysburg series, or other regional ghost tales, but these are mostly retellings of contemporary (fictional?) accounts. Those books, though, all seem to be self-published, or published from small regional presses.

I don't think an agent would be that interested, but I could be mistaken. I think I need to find one of those small regional presses, but so far my list is quite short.

Just looking for any suggestions (especially if you think I should go to the fiction area for this).

Corpus Thomisticum

Life Stares Back at Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomekjankowski.com
My input is that it is still a non-fiction piece because, regardless of whether anyone believes in ghosts or not, you are describing eyewitness accounts from credible news sources, and you're taking the right tact by putting them in the context of the cultural environment of their day. In other words, whether those eyewitnesses really did see their dear, departed Aunt Zelda or not is up for debate, but the fact that they thought they say her is not. It might be interesting to add a historical angle -- although I'm big on history, so take this with a grain of salt -- but you might want to just provide a little background about the rise of Spiritualism in the 19th century, the Fox sisters, Lily Dale, and the general willingness on the part of 19th century Americans to indulge in the belief of ghosts and the afterlife. It might also be fun to provide some examples of famous charlatans who took advantage of this "fad" and got caught; maybe describe some of the weirder aspects of spiritualism like "spirit cabinets", ectoplasmic manifestations, the ouija board, etc.

All in all, with TV shows like Ghost Hunters and Paranormal State attracting high ratings, a book on ghosts, if well done to stand out a bit, should be able to make it commercially. Or so says me. ;)

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Thanks for the advice. What you're suggesting though, is a much larger work than I currently have. I had planned to use this for a PhD program, that I have put on hold indefinitely now that I have these three kids to take care of. I would have taken my research, and used it as a chunk of a large non-fiction book on science/technology in 19th century America, as you had described. This would take me years to produce though.

What I currently have is the barebones version - an introduction, followed by a a few dozen of the best stories/articles my research turned up. It'd be a short book, marketed to tourists looking for regional ghost stories. Rather than being fictional creations though, these are historical articles/stories from 19th century papers.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
\What I currently have is the barebones version - an introduction, followed by a a few dozen of the best stories/articles my research turned up. It'd be a short book, marketed to tourists looking for regional ghost stories. Rather than being fictional creations though, these are historical articles/stories from 19th century papers.

Perhaps check with smaller publishing houses in your city/state? One may specialize in publishing books of regional interest.

Just a thought.

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
You might try using "the Google" as our former president called it and put in the titles of some of the stories and see if they have been published or if there is a "thread" that will lead you to similar books/projects that may lead you to a publisher/author who did something similar in your vein.

Also use "The Amazon" (LOL!) and type in something similar to your title/idea and see the books that come up and then find out who published them. In other words, I would do some sleuthing.

(And I LOVE the Fox Sisters, the ones who in 1848 got the whole world a-rappin' to ghosts!"

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.