Copyrights of poems on a blog (Moved from Novels to Blogging)

Chad

Hello friends,
I have made a blog of my own consisting my creations like poems in it. I don’t want someone to use my creations on his names. Is web copyright possible so that I can make my blog consisting my poetic creations secured?

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
You don't need a copyright. Everything you write automatically belongs to you. That is unless you've signed something saying otherwise.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
I'd put a discreet copyright notice on the bottom of each page of your blog - if you haven't got one there already. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You can put a copyright notice on it...but it's not needed. You're good to go.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What does putting © on there do? Not much, except for stating the obvious -- you automatically have copyright. If someone wants to steal it, they still can, and you still have to track them down.

Just list the title, the byline, and be done with it.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yep. That's what I do. No 'Alt 0 1 6 9' for me.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
is it the same in poetry? is it considered published once it's on the web and impossible to sell to magazines then? ©

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
doesn't matter.

Oops...didn't get your post right. I thought if you were asking if it is copyright. If the magazine/site asks in their guidelines that it not be published...it means it can't be published anywhere.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Technically speaking if you post it online, it's published (at least "digital right" -- not sure about First North America). If you intend to get them published by a journal or lit mags, probably better not post them online.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
thanks guys. dont know anything about publishing poetry so i wondered if it was the same.

KTC sorry that was me being a smart ass. i never knew how to do the copyright symbol before your post.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes. Don't publish online if you want to publish. Unless you are willing to look around and find publications that say previously published allowed. Or, you can try and get away with it...or remove it prior to submitting. Technically, though...it's a no.

Kellykelly

Banned
Reaction score
Re Need suggestions on copyrights of my poems?

It is always necessary to protect your creative work in order to protect it from intellectual theft. There is a great online Copyright service that helps you secure and protect your creative material from plagiarism. You upload your original work and it is immediately time and date stamped to show the date of creation.

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Hi, and :welcome:

As far as I know the people who say you're good to go and don't need to do anything are right.

Since this has nothing to do with novels, and this subforum is for novel-specific posts, I'm moving the thread to blogging. I figure that's best since it's a blog/copyright question, but it might get moved on to poetry. So hold ontoyour hats, folks! :)