Need some ideas

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I am kinda in a funk. Been reading a lot of supernatural/fantasy/sci-fi lately. Just what I have been in the mood for. Plus, that is what I write (mostly) and it helps put me in the right frame of mind. Anyway, I am now getting bored. I need some new stuff to read, and want some suggestions. I am waiting on The Time Travelers Wife from the library (I put it on hold), and am also getting Water For Elephants. I also really want to read Atonement. What else? I will read anything, any genre. My tastes vary. Just nothing with a supernatural element please. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
If you want a breather in the way of laughter, pick up ME TALK PRETTY ONE DAY by David Sedaris. Light and hilarious looks into everyday life.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished DeNiro's Game by Rawi Hage. It's a great novel that takes place during the civil war in Beirut but is not about that. It's a Canadian-Lebanese writer so I'm not sure he's that available in the US (Note my assumption on your location) but he was a finalist for the 2007 Impac Dublin award so that would have given him more international exposure.

The Fighter by Craig Davidson is a brutal, fascinating look at illegal bare-knuckle fighting but again. it's a very intimate book that blew me away.

Or you can go for straight genre and read something totally escapist in which case i have to recommend my fav author Andy McNab who writes somewhat military thrillers. He's an ex-SAS sergeant (when he retired he was the most-decorated serving soldier in the British army) who writes about an ex-SAS sergeant, what else. His books are a series but they stand alone. His first one is called Remote Control and what it lacks in writing skills it makes up for in a fantastic character, great story, and more details about staking out a house than you really want to know. (pooping in Saran Wrap, anyone) but as he continues in the series, he becomes a better and better writer and seriously, his character Nick Stone is fantastic and damaged and fascinating. I just love reading his books.

Reaction score
Today I started Salman Rushdie's The Enchantress of Florence. What that man does with language is a sight to behold.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I went to the library today and couldn't find a few though. Didn't have any Rushdie or Deniro's Game, and the David Sedaris book was checked out. But I did pick up a Andy McNab title, I will check it out. Checked out a Sherlock Holmes volume, been wanting to read Doyle again, it has been years. Plus I picked up two more books. With Violets by Elizabeth Robards about a painter who possibly had an affair with Edouard Manet (it is loosely based on a true story) and Death With Interruptions, by Jose Saramago. It won the Nobel Prize for Literature, and sounds intriguing.

If anyone has any more books they would like to recomend, please, feel free. Thanks

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Wally Lamb:

She's Come Undone
I Know This Much is True
The Hour I First Believed
(trust me, when you read one you'll want to read them all)

John Irving:

The Cider House Rules

James Frey:

A Million Little Pieces

Andrew Sean Greer:

The Confessions of Max Tivoli