How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff

Reaction score
I picked this up in a charity shop today for £2. My next read of it will be my third, and I can't get enough of this book. I love it, love it, love it.

It's so...poignant is the word I'm looking for, I think. First love in the midst of war with an unnamed enemy. *sigh*

Anyone else read this? What do you all think?

I'm putting it on my 'list of favourite books ever'; that's how highly I rate it. :D

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I think that book is phenomenal. Great, distinctive first-person narration -- a realistic and therefore terrifying end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it scenario -- beautiful plotting -- plus an ideal example of incorporating an "issue" (in this case anorexia) into a larger plot without being remotely preachy. This is one of my regular recs.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent this to my Kindle. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm reading (listening to, actually) The Book Thief right now, is this at all similar? I only skimmed the synopsis so I didn't risk spoilers.

Reaction score
Similar in the sense of they're both 'war novels'.

The Book Thief, I've also read twice. I tried to 'get it', I really did. Just couldn't. I just didn't care about the characters.

HILN, on the other hand, blew me away.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I had a feeling that would be the only similarities, but I just thought I'd check. I'm enjoying Book Thief, but I wouldn't consider it a new favorite or anything. It's been a good choice for driving to and from work. But I'm looking forward to HILN. I've been on a dry spell with YA books lately, so it'll be nice to get a good one.
I did listen to 13 Reasons Why last month - I enjoyed that one. If you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend it. I don't think it's necessarily the best one I've ever read, but it's good.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Liked it a lot. Her third novel, What I Was is different but just as good. I haven't read Just in Case yet.

I also find it encouraging that Rosoff was 48 when HILN was published, which shows that it's not too late to have a first YA novel published. (Gives me hope, as a fortysomething.)

Ciera_

I adored The Book Thief. It's my new favourite. The writing itself astounded me and the story was very moving. As for HILN, the incest really put me off, to be honest. But it was good. Didn't much care for the ending, but the whole thing was very poignant. I didn't feel terribly well connected to the MC. Those are my only complaints; I'm very glad I read it. Must've been two years ago, now.

Last edited: