Obama camp asking Congress to delay shut off of analog TV

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually going to buy an old TV just so I have to buy the convertor box just to cancel out your protest.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
But you get internet?

shh, it's magic!

I'm leaving the internet on at home. Just turning off the TV. We don't normally watch it anyway. Judging from the reaction of the Charter operator, that is, at the least, a venial sin.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I've been serving my country for 10 years--overseas.
Fill me in?
Right now, the gas being fought over by Ukraine and Russia is the huge nightmare.
They're keeping the death toll hush-hush, but word has leaked out that several have perished due to the cold.
Okay, so what's this madness concerning cable??

Someone recently explained this new craze: Tivo...I think I've spelled that wrong, but it's a concept that's wild.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Well, as I understand it, television is switching from analog broadcasts to "digital." Not exactly sure what it means or does, but it somehow opens up the bandwidth so that instead of one channel having a large frequency footprint, they can now insert something like 4 or more channels in that same space. So say, if you had a Channel 4, now you would have a Channel 4a, 4b, 4c, 4d all with completely different information.

Neat. But the problem is the old analog TV sets can't receive this new digital signal so you need a converter. Either a seperate box that the government is providing coupons for, or it'll be converted automatically if you have cable or satellite.

So starting sometimes in February, all older analog TVs will be obsolete. It's a conspiracy between the government and television manufacturers to get everyone to buy a new MORE EXPENSIVE HDTV. :)

Atani

Registered
Reaction score
In the backwoods, literally...the tiny country tow
No, No Internet at home either. (Shhh, I'm at work!) ;)

However, I did get Internet without paying for the tv portion of the cable when I lived in Phoenix (Cox cable I think it was). You can do that with the cable internet... course, they kept bugging us to get the tv portion... it was so funny! They offered a lower price to add the tv every month, until finally they said we could have it for free for "six months." We were planning to move out in 3 months, so we said sure thing! Thus, that one the only time in my life I ever had cable tv. Mostly just watched the nature channels anyway. :)

But you get internet?