The Poetry Pulse of Absolute Write

what best describes your views on the poetry forum?

• poetry is stupid. i have zero interest.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i can acknowledge that poetry has value. it just does nothing for me.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • i visit the poetry forum and comment from time to time.

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • i visit the poetry forum from time to time but choose not to comment.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • i'm a regular reader of the poetry forum.

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • i'm a regular reader of, and commenter in, the poetry forum.

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • wait. there's a poetry forum?

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • wait. there are rooms other than office party?

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • go to hell, william.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 12 20.7%

• Total voters

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
why do people suddenly have oversized avatars?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's meant to be inspiring, I think.

I might actually be able to compose an ode to RT after this. Complete with graphic verses depicting his gruesome, untimely demise at the hands of a Puffin Stuff.

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
why do people suddenly have oversized avatars?
A subtle form of control and intimidation. Since the site owner doesn't hand out batons or tasers, the powers that be make do with what they have.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts (in appropriate form) to give a little metaphoric insight about the joys and frustrations of writing poetry:

First Law of Poetidynamics

Sometimes I get this awful itch
that can only be scratched
by the fingernails of prose
on a chalkboard

When I want to reach out
to the edges of hell
of whatever you call
that other place

words fall out
at a measured pace
and chaos leads
to ordered states

Then I'm a poet
no matter how
the thoughts
come out

Second Law of Poetidynamics

Novelists get the groupies
looking for hit-and-run
romance.

Poets get the lonely divorcees
clinging to the image of a
soul-mate.

The Third Law of Poetidynamics (What is Poetry?)

a slow-motion instant
sealed in the cellophane
of thought
put in words
that sing and dance
to me

no sulfurous poof
is required to prove
its poetry
it's poetry

Fly-By (The Writers' Cry)

There are no dead here
do not stall your wings
or reach to fill your bag
with gold fillings and rings

There are no dead
or blankwalk preen
we are writers paused
to conjure our scene

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
This is an interesting question.

For me, one reason is because my browsers frequently drop the cookies containing the password and the subforum then disappears. Out of sight, out of mind. I find that whole months have gone by before I even realize and even then, it’s only because someone I know mentions poetry.

Another reason is that, while I want to write some more poetry, my time is limited. Sadly, I cannot run and write poetry at the same time.

Poetry requires a certain mindset. For me, at least. It requires a certain solitude and self-introspection. It requires reflection and time to assess and distill the things you glean – about yourself and about your surroundings. And most importantly, about your feelings.

Poetry requires an acknowledgement of some truths, personal and universal. It requires letting down walls and allowing whatever is held back within to come pouring out. For me, it almost requires a quiet, meditative state where I can contemplate things and decipher the meanings hidden within me.

I also have a WIP, numerous short stories, articles and blog posts jockeying for my writing time and the unfortunate truth is that poetry is at the bottom rung of that ladder. For me it’s a luxury. A dalliance and a mental exercise.

I guess when my internal pressure hits a sufficient boiling point, it’ll naturally climb upwards in importance, but until then, I’m content to be reminded of it once in a while and go enjoy.

Reaction score
I like poetry with rhyme and form. Free verse does nothing for me. I've flitted in and out of the poetry fora from time to time, but I've fallen into scribbling sonnets and Sapphic Odes at home, keeping them in my notebooks rather than posting them online despite any encouragement I may have had to change this. The Chapbook and Critique fora seem almost exclusively for poets who write in free verse, in which I have little or no interest. So yeah, not posting my poems there does a lot to tackle that, eh? But writing poetry is secondary to prose for me, so I don't suppose that's a great loss.

Ciera_

I picked '...visit and comment from time to time...' but that's not counting the chain of haikus. I post on that a LOT. But as for all other poetry, I occasionally read some in the forum, but never add my own. The idea of having others read my poetry just scares me, pretty much.

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
when i joined aw, i went straight for the poetry section, and found it an immediately accessible and welcoming. crap and arrogant as i was, the poetry regulars still welcomed me as part of that community.

after a while, i moved on into OP and TIO, and pretty soon subforums started taking over the board, and then my life got busy and i didn't have much time for AW, but always i'd retreat back to the poetry board. critiques were always given, they were always honest, and always helpful.

i don't write much apart from poetry, and i think its quite possible the only reason i do write poetry is AW.

what i like about the poetry forum is that its never too crowded. it can be too quiet, of late, but it is never impossible to keep up with the poems. i've become familiar with personalities, styles and opinions. its a great lil spot.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I love reading the poetry - I don't usually feel adequate to comment, though - I'd like to be able to say something really intelligent when a poem hits me square in the heart.

Although I only write doggerel sometimes, I really love reading the poetry forum.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
i don't write much apart from poetry, and i think its quite possible the only reason i do write poetry is AW.

Well, there's a ringing endorsement right there. You are excellent at it.

I definitely second the notion that "I like it" or "I don't get it" is a valuable critique (for me, both in poetry and prose.) Knowing where your arrows fall can absolutely refine your aim, or your choice of weapon.

I only know that there is poetry I like out there, on any large scale, because of the AW poetry forum.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I read the forum frequently, but I seldom comment, because, even though...

just to point out: comments as simple as "i like it" or "it just doesn't work for me" are both acceptable and even helpful.

...I still feel compelled to answer why I do or why I do not like a piece of writing. From my perspective, I don't know nearly enough about poetry to justify a comment.

But, while I cannot give to it, I still draw from it. I love the use of language, the flow of words, the specificity of words, the beauty of it all. Though I am the furthest thing from a poet, I incorporate poetry into my prose. At least I try to.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I chose "other". I like to read poetry, especially by folks I know, but I can't write it myself, and some of it is very much over my head.

Well, I guess that's my answer then...poetry makes me feel stupid. LOL!

I've decided that since I refuse to accept "I can't!" as an answer from my children, I should hold myself to the same standard.

I actually wrote two poems tonight. :D

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...poetry is cool and packs lots of power.
I really am not knowlegable enough, though, to be able to make any evaluations of poems posted in the SYW forum or to offer any critiques or advice, though I do visit the forum and read poems, from time to time. Good stuff to be found there. Keep up the good work, poets.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
I think the poetry forums are one of the most valuable aspects of AW. I am dumbfounded by the recurring demonstrations of talent and ideas.

Plus I feel like I have a shitload of class just for visitng.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
blacksmith_silhouette_3.jpg

smite

a spark borne of
a beating heart
glows to ember
leaps to flame

ignites the furnace
in the brain

that strange desire
like bellows' breath

summons heat and
feeds the blaze
the kindling conjures
and obeys

black metals cast
into the fire
those molten words
drawn and bent

manipulated
to intent

between anvil
and hammer strike

some truth is forged
passion wrought
to fuse the language
and the thought

fever quenched and
tempered cool to
polish, grind 'til
finely honed

a pristine vision
soon intoned

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
<snip> The Chapbook and Critique fora seem almost exclusively for poets who write in free verse, in which I have little or no interest. So yeah, not posting my poems there does a lot to tackle that, eh? But writing poetry is secondary to prose for me, so I don't suppose that's a great loss.
the workshop is for all styles. your absent poems there are a great loss.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Good lord.

"to fuse the language
and the thought"

That's the entire forum, in fewer lines than would be a complete sentence in any other mode.

Brilliant--you rule this style as no other, William.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...But, while I cannot give to it, I still draw from it. I love the use of language, the flow of words, the specificity of words, the beauty of it all. Though I am the furthest thing from a poet, I incorporate poetry into my prose. At least I try to.
While reading this thread, I was trying to formulate my thoughts for a response when Haggis did it for me. I feel the same way, the same love and appreciation for language, the "beauty of it all." And like him, if you work hard enough, you can weave a certain amount of poetry into prose, arranging textures and patterns and feelings into words so as to produce the greatest effect upon readers in the least amount of lines.

Sadly, I don't visit the Poetry forum much these days. I haven't been there in months. I barely have enough time to keep up with this forum, while the rest of the AW blows past me as if I were stranded on a freeway watching the traffic speed by in a blur.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Sadly,
I don't visit
the Poetry forum