New Month, New Year, New JHS

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I know we have the resolutions thread, but I thought, ok I wanted, the jhs thread too. Since one of my goals is to post here at AW regularly and another is to send out 4 queries/month I figured this was a good way to start the year.

For the 4 queries, I have an idea for a regional magazine, DISTINCTLY OKLAHOMA, that I've been mulling for a while. Time to quit mulling and send the query already. For the other three, I have no idea yet except to find a parenting magazine that can take a version of the article I already have gathering dust at another magazine.

That's where I am, 4 queries this month, 1 for DO, 1 for a regional parenting mag, and 2 as yet unnamed.

I'm not listing my other writing goals here since I want to focus on writing, and submitting queries. The other stuff is resolutionn/goals and I'll work on them too, ya'll just don't need to be subjected to them here.

Anybody else?

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Hey, look who's on the ball and starting the JHS thread! Hope the holidays were good to you, Nita!

There's some stuff I want to get done in 2009, but I haven't got my monthly goals all planned out yet. I want to finish up a blog post for today--well really I want to go back to bed, which will probably interfere with that immediate goal.

I need to dig my white board out from under the stack of stuff I threw by the wayside to dig out my Christmas stuff and see what deadlines I'm shooting for. I'll see if I can get it together this weekend. In the meantime thanks to Ritinrider for starting us up, and Happy New Year everybody!

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
My monthly goals are (of course) directly tied in to my goals for the year. So...

- Query $80/day with NO carry-overs.
- Send 3 book-related submissions t agents/publishers.
- Update all blogs at least 3x a week.
- 2 Bukisa articles a week (I'm leaving this one in for a while, it might go buh-bye later on though)
- 2 eHow articles a week
- Complete & send OWFI contest entries (have several ready to go)

Oh, and I was stupid...

I talked to some friends on Twitter & Facebook, so I've started another blog. Jen's Getting Fit. If anyone wants to join me on it, I'll make it a group blog and someone else (or several someone else's) can post too.

OK. I think that's it. I'll come back and add to it if it's not.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
yea! it's a new year which means I am cutting out the soda from my diet. And that means that at 11am my time, I am now on my second pot of candy cane coffee. (gotta love Christmas!)

I told hubby last night that this year I was concentrating on writing and not going to get sidetracked by all the other things on the ranch. This is why we have hired help, right? They are hired to help out and I'm going to take advantage of it while I can. :D

goals for January, gee ... well ... hmmmm ... I know I have them around somwhere.
- get organized! My office over the next couple days is going to get an overhaul. Hubby will love it, until he realizes that all the stuff i'm taking out is getting put in the basement for him to deal with :D
- send out at least five essays a week
- send out at least five queries a week
- do more with my short stories. Send at least five out this month
- blog three times a week
- break into a hunting magazine
- continue sending out Blood Sisters
- organize my recipes and try Taste of Home again

ok, that's all. If I get half of those completed this month I'll be on a roll. Happy New Year all!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year all! :D

ritinrider, we're practically twins in our writing goals (see a few lines down)! :)

Jen and ravenlea, wow, your ambitious goals are so inspiring! :e2cheer: Jen, I checked out your new blog. Looks great! :Thumbs: I'm pretty shy online so I don't know how often I'll comment, but I'll be following along as I try to get myself more fit too. :)

For me, my goal is also 4 queries this month, and I have three of the ideas all ready to go. I do have a longer-term goal (not sure what month I'm aiming for) of getting to a weekly and eventually daily query goal.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Ten queries.
Ferron interview submitted on time.
Schedule resume-writing course.
Make flyer for writing course.
Start thinking about how to get a website.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Great job Autodidact! :D

Good for you Cassie. Keep it up! You can do it! :Thumbs:

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Okay, it's the 2nd already so I'd better jump in. Yesterday was a blur because we had a party that ran till 4:30 a.m., and everyone stayed overnight so the house didn't clear out till the afternoon. Lots of fun, but I felt like an elephant trampled my head.

Goals:
-Promote my Orlando Examiner page. I have a plan to link it to my blog and websites.

-Finish my schoolwork by Jan. 24 (taking a class and that's the end date).

-Send out 4-5 queries per week.

-Finish sample chapters requested by agent that I've put off way too long (horse book).

-Send out travel book proposal.

-Organize travel agency files and prepare to hand off some work to hubby.

-Be logged on for online counseling 6-8 hours per day.

-General organization (lots that needs to be done there!)

That should be plenty to keep me started.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Wow everyone's goals are great! Raven, that's a lot of work there!!

So far I have six assignments due in the first month of the new year. On top of those, my goals are to blg 3 X a week at BOL, and 2 X on my own blog. Originally I wanted to do 5 X a week at BOL, but I don't think it's realistic to come up with that many ideas for the next 12 months.

Also, I will visit FWJ every day until I get at least one more regular gig paying at least $400/mos.

Dawn

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
good to see you back Auto!

congrats on your start Cassi! Good luck

-Finish sample chapters requested by agent that I've put off way too long (horse book).

what kind of horse book are you writing? fiction or nonfiction? It's been a while since I've found a decent horsey how-to

Also, I will visit FWJ every day until I get at least one more regular gig paying at least $400/mos

My mantra for the month is "I can do it!" :D ... besides I have nothing to lose at this point. I even managed to accomplish stuff yesterday. My office is half clean and clear of all 2008 filing, replaced by shiny new 2009 binders and folders. My recipes are organized and I found three recipe contests to enter. The first is due by the first of Feb.

good luck with the gig hunt! I'd be happy to make $400 for the whole year! :)

Nice surprise in the mail today. I recieved my check for the article that will be out this month in a regional horse mag.

i'm off to query some hunting magazines and get an essay ready for the mail. (since it's a short week, I'm only going to do one. I'm not slacking - honest!)

Last edited:

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
what kind of horse book are you writing? fiction or nonfiction? It's been a while since I've found a decent horsey how-to
It's a non-fiction how-to with a twist. It teaches riders to get themselves in the right frame of mind cognitively to work with their horse. It discusses how the wrong frame of mind can affect the horse and how to get into and maintain a neutral or positive mindset. It's under review at Bowtie right now, but they've had it for several months so I queried an agent in the meantime (selling my other book taught me just how valuable having an agent must be!). She wants to see the proposal and sample chapters so I have my fingers crossed.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Raven,
That was on my to-do list for this week, too...filing random 2008 reciepts and starting new '09 folders. Of course, I couldn't find my box of folders, but DH dug it out of the attic today so that will be tomorrow's project. (Today is transcribing).

Dawn

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
It's a non-fiction how-to with a twist. It teaches riders to get themselves in the right frame of mind cognitively to work with their horse. It discusses how the wrong frame of mind can affect the horse and how to get into and maintain a neutral or positive mindset. It's under review at Bowtie right now, but they've had it for several months so I queried an agent in the meantime (selling my other book taught me just how valuable having an agent must be!). She wants to see the proposal and sample chapters so I have my fingers crossed.

sounds great! good luck with it.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
In the vein of posting 2 articles a week on eHow, today I put up "How to Write an Icebreaker Speech for Toastmasters." In retrospect, I probably should have said "give" instead of "write" because it covers more than just writing. Oops.

Oh, and Nita? Just a heads-up. I kinda mentioned you, but not by name, in it.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I thought I'd comment on everyone's JHS goals, and the best way for me to do that is to actually quote you all. I mean, you don't really expect me to remember from the top of the page to the bottom who's doing what do you? If so, as my daughter say, "I want some of what you're smoking" because if you think I can do that, you are way beyond wearing rose-colored glasses.

Ok, enough already...
- Query $80/day with NO carry-overs.
- Send 3 book-related submissions to agents/publishers.
- Update all blogs at least 3x a week.
- 2 Bukisa articles a week (I'm leaving this one in for a while, it might go buh-bye later on though)
- 2 eHow articles a week
- Complete & send OWFI contest entries (have several ready to go)

Very good goals Jen. Updating all the blogs you have going is almost a full-time job, but you do pretty well at it. I see all of these goals as completely doable for you. Go Jen.

Oh, and I was stupid...

I talked to some friends on Twitter & Facebook, so I've started another blog. Jen's Getting Fit. If anyone wants to join me on it, I'll make it a group blog and someone else (or several someone else's) can post too.

OK. I think that's it. I'll come back and add to it if it's not.
Ok, first, you were not, are not stupid. Get that idea right outta your head. Second, the getting fit is a good idea, if a blog helps you well, then go for it. I checked out your blog, it looks good. Now to just drop the pounds from you, and fatten the blog with entries. :)

yea! it's a new year which means I am cutting out the soda from my diet. And that means that at 11am my time, I am now on my second pot of candy cane coffee. (gotta love Christmas!)

I told hubby last night that this year I was concentrating on writing and not going to get sidetracked by all the other things on the ranch. This is why we have hired help, right? They are hired to help out and I'm going to take advantage of it while I can. :D

goals for January, gee ... well ... hmmmm ... I know I have them around somwhere.
- get organized! My office over the next couple days is going to get an overhaul. Hubby will love it, until he realizes that all the stuff i'm taking out is getting put in the basement for him to deal with :D
- send out at least five essays a week
- send out at least five queries a week
- do more with my short stories. Send at least five out this month
- blog three times a week
- break into a hunting magazine
- continue sending out Blood Sisters
- organize my recipes and try Taste of Home again

ok, that's all. If I get half of those completed this month I'll be on a roll. Happy New Year all!

Un, Raven, gotta ask, why are you dropping soda from your diet and adding pots of coffee?

That's right, you have hired help to help. You need to get your money's worth, so let them do the work on the ranch while you do the work on your writing. I know, there are some things you just have to do yourself. And, I think this goal may be your hardest. But, remember when you first started letting your husband do household chores (folding clothes, well, towels and such, washing dishes, even making beds or vacuuming)? Did he do it your way (which in our (the woman's) mind is the "right" way)? Probably not, but the job got done, and after a while you learned to live with him doing things different (or wrong), but you live with it.

It's probably the same way with your hired help. When you see them doing something and it's not the way you'd do it, you want to just go do it yourself because you know it'll be done right then. Now, I'm not talking about doing something with your animals that could hurt them, or cause them harm in some way. But, I'm thinking there are plenty of chores for the hired help to do that won't endanger the animals in anyway. Not that your help will hurt the animals, but they are after all your babies and it's hard to trust them to someone else. Good luck with this goal. I'm rooting for you here.

Happy New Year all! :D

ritinrider, we're practically twins in our writing goals (see a few lines down)! :)

Jen and ravenlea, wow, your ambitious goals are so inspiring! :e2cheer: Jen, I checked out your new blog. Looks great! :Thumbs: I'm pretty shy online so I don't know how often I'll comment, but I'll be following along as I try to get myself more fit too. :)

For me, my goal is also 4 queries this month, and I have three of the ideas all ready to go. I do have a longer-term goal (not sure what month I'm aiming for) of getting to a weekly and eventually daily query goal.

Moth, I think we are writing twins. See, you probably won't comment often on Jen's weight blog but plan to follow along, me too. It's funny, there are people who know me in rl who would fall down laughing at the idea that I'm shy. But, they don't really know me, though they think they do.

Ten queries.
Ferron interview submitted on time.
Schedule resume-writing course.
Make flyer for writing course.
Start thinking about how to get a website.

Whoo-hoo, welcome back Auto. Was just thinking about you the other day and wondered where you'd gotten off too. Congratulations on submitting the Ferron interview, and on time way to go! Where are you going to teach this writing course?

I've just written the first 415 words of the non-fiction book I've been putting off writing for 4 years. Whew! I had been dreading it.

:partyguy: First words are where you have to start. Congratulations. And pftt, 4 years, that's nothing. I first got the idea and started working (kind of) on my scholarship book when my daughter graduated from high school, at least that's when the idea was formed. I'm not saying how long ago that was, but, my daughter now has a 9 year old son.

Okay, it's the 2nd already so I'd better jump in. Yesterday was a blur because we had a party that ran till 4:30 a.m., and everyone stayed overnight so the house didn't clear out till the afternoon. Lots of fun, but I felt like an elephant trampled my head.

Goals:
-Promote my Orlando Examiner page. I have a plan to link it to my blog and websites.

-Finish my schoolwork by Jan. 24 (taking a class and that's the end date).

-Send out 4-5 queries per week.

-Send out travel book proposal.

-Organize travel agency files and prepare to hand off some work to hubby.

-Be logged on for online counseling 6-8 hours per day.

-General organization (lots that needs to be done there!)

That should be plenty to keep me started.

Whew! Enough to get you started? That should keep you busy for a while girl. I'm assuming you can do some of your writing while your logged on for counseling?

So far I have six assignments due in the first month of the new year. On top of those, my goals are to blg 3 X a week at BOL, and 2 X on my own blog. Originally I wanted to do 5 X a week at BOL, but I don't think it's realistic to come up with that many ideas for the next 12 months.

Also, I will visit FWJ every day until I get at least one more regular gig paying at least $400/mos.

Dawn

Good thinking there about your blogging at BOL, if you come up with 5 ideas a week, that's just gravy, but forcing yourself to do so, could cause burnout. Besides, 3X week is pretty good I think. Especially since this is in addition to your other writing. Good luck with the gig hunt.

My mantra for the month is "I can do it!" :D ... besides I have nothing to lose at this point. I even managed to accomplish stuff yesterday. My office is half clean and clear of all 2008 filing, replaced by shiny new 2009 binders and folders. My recipes are organized and I found three recipe contests to enter. The first is due by the first of Feb.

good luck with the gig hunt! I'd be happy to make $400 for the whole year! :)

Nice surprise in the mail today. I recieved my check for the article that will be out this month in a regional horse mag.

i'm off to query some hunting magazines and get an essay ready for the mail. (since it's a short week, I'm only going to do one. I'm not slacking - honest!)

Aha, you're ahead of me on the filing getting organized stuff. I need to get my life organized. In the meantime, I'm going to set up some files and stuff for my writing, that way at least one aspect will be organized while I go through boxes of papers to file or trash. When I moved 2 years ago I just dumped everything in boxes, saying I'd go through it later. Ok, it's later, I need to go through the stuff already and get rid of what I don't need. Which honestly, is probably most of it.
Congratulations on the check. Money is always good. :Sun:
Good luck with the receipe contests. Since you're such a good cook, have you tried writing any cooking articles?

Last week was a short week, one esssay is good. Did you get it written?

In the vein of posting 2 articles a week on eHow, today I put up "How to Write an Icebreaker Speech for Toastmasters." In retrospect, I probably should have said "give" instead of "write" because it covers more than just writing. Oops.

Oh, and Nita? Just a heads-up. I kinda mentioned you, but not by name, in it.

Congratulations on writing and posting at ehow. It was a good article Jen, especially the part about listening and taking ideas from someone else's speech. That's really what I did you know, took the bracelet idea and moved it to quilts.

Ok, that's one goal met today for me. I have posted at AW. Now to go finish cleaning the living room, then writing something.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Whew! Enough to get you started? That should keep you busy for a while girl. I'm assuming you can do some of your writing while your logged on for counseling?
Yes, thank goodness! The great thing about my work is that I can multitask almost all of it. I log on and am available to be rung up for counseling sessions while I do my writing. Only bummer with that is getting rung up when I'm right in the middle of an intense train of thought. In the meantime, travel clients can all or email me, as the business line phone is right next to me. Some days I feel like those one-man-band street musicians!

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
well seems like three days is enough to figure out my writing goals. I think I put them in the resolutions list but let's see if my brain stll works.

1) blog twice weekly at my portfolio and FW.
2) Market and promote FW
3) write a biz plan for FW
4) write my non-fiction article hw for long ridge due on the 15th
5) write and submit and essay for Cup of comfort due Feb. 2.
6) write and submit essay for the Lifestyle section of Latina Magazine (May issue).

keep going with examiner and momslikeme little by little. I'm having phone and dsl issues so I'll be on intermittently until they're resolved. Please read about my dilemma at Sky's blog. Amy, I think I made a funny.

Great goals everyone.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Okay, here's a few goals for the year. I usually break them into deadlines instead of months. If I write them down here, it's like a promise so I really have to do them and not pretend I never said anything. I'm still working 30 hours/week so with the details that go with these guys, it'll be enough to keep me busy, but hopefully not too busy if something spectacular comes my way. Which brings me to my first something interesting.

1. Compile all my blog posts and at least a third more new material and see if it resembles a book. If it does, I'll have a new goal. If it doesn't, well, I'll have material I can look at and draw from for other stuff. In the meantime, clean up the looks of the blog now, get my blogroll done, and post two quality essays per week.

2. Snag five of the big anthologies. The $200 ones that I know of are Chicken Soup and The Ultimate series. I'd like others along the way, but I need those five to maintain a personal goal. I've already started on this one, but my next deadline is 1/31 so I need to get crackin'.

3. I'd like to start a new blog. It would be with hubby so it would be something new and fun. He's in favor of the idea, but he's also ears deep in a novel, so the idea keeps getting pushed back. But if all the space dust aligns with the planets, I stand on one foot, and I hold my mouth just right, I think I can jump start this one.

I have a few vague, nebulous ideas I'm pondering as well; some specific magazines I'd like to try this year, etc. But they don't really fit in the list, so I've got them listed in my new Bylines Calendar (shameless plug) where I'm the featured author (get this) the week of Christmas. Yep. Me and the goat.

Last edited:

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Un, Raven, gotta ask, why are you dropping soda from your diet and adding pots of coffee?

because coffee is cheaper than soda :tongue At least i'm cutting out the sugar. i've also given up my morning donut.

But, remember when you first started letting your husband do household chores (folding clothes, well, towels and such, washing dishes, even making beds or vacuuming)? Did he do it your way (which in our (the woman's) mind is the "right" way)? Probably not, but the job got done, and after a while you learned to live with him doing things different (or wrong), but you live with it.
:roll: I can't remember the last time my husand did anything around the house. Oh wait, he loaded and ran the dishwasher the other night while I was fighting with the printer. Other than that .... his motto is: "Why clean up,we're just going to make it messy again." And he wonders why i'm a stay at home mom! :D

Aha, you're ahead of me on the filing getting organized stuff. I need to get my life organized. In the meantime, I'm going to set up some files and stuff for my writing, that way at least one aspect will be organized while I go through boxes of papers to file or trash. When I moved 2 years ago I just dumped everything in boxes, saying I'd go through it later. Ok, it's later, I need to go through the stuff already and get rid of what I don't need. Which honestly, is probably most of it.
Congratulations on the check. Money is always good. :Sun:
Good luck with the receipe contests. Since you're such a good cook, have you tried writing any cooking articles?

Last week was a short week, one esssay is good. Did you get it written?

hmmm, I've never really given a thought to cooking articles. I'm not sure I'd know where to begin. Yes, I got my essay written, but didn't get it sent out. Something about the phrasing didn't sit right with me and I wanted another pair of eyes so I let hubby read it over ... only he didn't get home until 7 that night so ... i know, excuses! But I'm sending it Monday morning.

Okay, here's a few goals. If I write them down here, it's like a promise so I really have to do them and not pretend I never said anything. I'm still working 30 hours/week so with the details that go with these guys, it'll be enough to keep me busy, but hopefully not too busy if something spectacular comes my way. Which brings me to my first something interesting.

1. Compile all my blog posts and at least a third more new material and see if it resembles a book. If it does, I'll have a new goal. If it doesn't, well, I'll have material I can look at and draw from for other stuff. In the meantime, clean up the looks of the blog now, get my blogroll done, and post two quality essays per week.

2. Snag five of the big anthologies. The $200 ones that I know of are Chicken Soup and The Ultimate series. I'd like others along the way, but I need those five to maintain a personal goal. I've already started on this one, but my next deadline is 1/31 so I need to get crackin'.

3. I'd like to start a new blog. It would be with hubby so it would be something new and fun. He's in favor of the idea, but he's also ears deep in a novel, so the idea keeps getting pushed back. But if all the space dust aligns with the planets, I stand on one foot, and I hold my mouth just right, I think I can jump start this one.

I have a few vague, nebulous ideas I'm pondering as well; some specific magazines I'd like to try this year, etc. But they don't really fit in the list, so I've got them listed in my new Bylines Calendar (shameless plug) where I'm the featured author (get this) the week of Christmas. Yep. Me and the goat.

great goals, Amy! But I've got to ask ... five big anthologies? I only know three. If you get your new blog up and running post a link, I love reading your posts :)

Not much writing done for me today. I got a new calf, the Suburban lost its U-joint. I recieved my contributor copies for one of my articles and put up a blog post. (ok, that last one is writing related). I took down my Christmas decorations too, and the rest of the night will be spent cleaning the office - still.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
because coffee is cheaper than soda :tongue At least i'm cutting out the sugar. i've also given up my morning donut.
Oh no, no sugary soda And no donut? You are a glutton. :Hug2:You deserve a hug if you're gonna survive without your sugar fix. I'll take your word for it coffee is cheaper than soda, personally I can't stand the stuff. Except, of course, the aroma if someone else is drinking it.

:roll: I can't remember the last time my husand did anything around the house. Oh wait, he loaded and ran the dishwasher the other night while I was fighting with the printer. Other than that .... his motto is: "Why clean up,we're just going to make it messy again." And he wonders why i'm a stay at home mom! :D
You know, I used to share his thinking, but then I grew up. I realized I couldn't eat off dirty dishes, and unwashed clothes are just not appealing to anyone. But, I guess since guys have us to do that they can pretend it doesn't need to be done. You remind me of how lucky I was with my husband, he didn't mind helping me with certain things. He washed dishes, but he didn't do pots and pans (most of the time) and he didn't do the stove or counter top. So after he 'finished' washing the dishes, I'd go in and finish the job - we didn't have a dishwasher except our hands.

hmmm, I've never really given a thought to cooking articles. I'm not sure I'd know where to begin. Yes, I got my essay written, but didn't get it sent out. Something about the phrasing didn't sit right with me and I wanted another pair of eyes so I let hubby read it over ... only he didn't get home until 7 that night so ... i know, excuses! But I'm sending it Monday morning.
Those are not excuses, you wanted the essay to be the best it could be, and that meant another pair of eyes needed to look at it. Now, it's ready to go Monday morning. A great way to start the week, sending something out. I don't have any idea where you'd start with a cooking article either, hey I cook as little as I can get by with. But, since you mentioned organizing your recipes, and entering contests I figured you were a good cook and you could parlay that expertise into an article or two and make some moolah. Maybe an easy recipe in a parenting or children's mag? What about the farm mags, do they have a food section? It seems like one we used to get had recipes, I don't know if they paid for them or not, but it might be a start.

great goals, Amy! But I've got to ask ... five big anthologies? I only know three. If you get your new blog up and running post a link, I love reading your posts :)
Ditto. And I could only think of two anthologies.

Not much writing done for me today. I got a new calf, the Suburban lost its U-joint. I recieved my contributor copies for one of my articles and put up a blog post. (ok, that last one is writing related). I took down my Christmas decorations too, and the rest of the night will be spent cleaning the office - still.
No U-joint is NOT good. New calf is though, do they cancel each other out? Yay for you putting up a blog post. guess I better go do that.