She wants to get married...what St. should she pray to?

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
A minor character in my book wants to get married. Is there a Cathlolic Saint she can pray to? She may be able to pray to any Saint, but I'm looking for a Saint where there is some type of symbolism involved.

Reaction score
St Jude, patron saint of lost causes.

Oh no, wait, that's for me, isn't it...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
St. Valentine.

Of course.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Archangel Raphael.
C

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Mary (Virgin Mary, a Saint, of course) is most often invoked for hopes of marriage and especially a happy marriage.

As an example, the day before my own wedding, I went to church and prayed at a Marian shrine for a happy marriage.

Yepper - the second prayer in that first link I put up ^ there was to Mary. So, you are on to something there.

Christine

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Google "patron saints."
There are at least three web sites I've seen with a complete list of saints, organized by name and subject of patronage. Marriage is in there somewhere.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
What? No, no. You have to go out and get an image or (preferrably) a sculpture of San Antonio and put him upside down, so he's on his head. They you pray to him every day until you get a marriage proposal, then you put him right side up.

Sheesh, that's common knowledge. ;)

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Yepper - the second prayer in that first link I put up ^ there was to Mary. So, you are on to something there.

Christine

I don't check out links for information that I am not seeking. I do, however, try to provide honest information within my ken to anyone asking.

And sarcasm is what I get for trying. Sigh.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm researching the suggestions and links to find the most appropriate St. for the character.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
What? No, no. You have to go out and get an image or (preferrably) a sculpture of San Antonio and put him upside down, so he's on his head. They you pray to him every day until you get a marriage proposal, then you put him right side up.

Sheesh, that's common knowledge.

Ha! The character practices Santeria so there will be a bit of "flavor" invoked in the prayer. :)

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't check out links for information that I am not seeking. I do, however, try to provide honest information within my ken to anyone asking.

And sarcasm is what I get for trying. Sigh.

Wow!

It was NOT sarcasm at you or your post at all. Just replying to OP that you were spot on and that there was a specific prayer she could pull up to view at that link I provided for I had not said who the saints were that I posted prayer link about originally. NOT that you did anything wrong, said anything wrong or were remiss in NOT pulling up a link.

Don't go assuming someone is snarking at you without provocation. For I was not, would not. Had no reason to.

But, just so we are even...sod off.

Christine

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
St. Catherine is the patron of women seeking husbands in Ireland and among Americans and Canadians of Irish ancestry: the folk-prayer-nursery rhyme is "St. Catherine, St. Catherine, send me a man! St. Catherine, St. Catherine, soon as you can!"

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Ha! The character practices Santeria so there will be a bit of "flavor" invoked in the prayer. :)

Well... I'm not sure it has anything to do with Santeria. The remedy I gave you is what every woman in Mexico does when she wants to get married. It's common knowledge here :) so I was really surprised no one else knew.