The Book Thief

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I must say I absolutely loved it! If there is such a thing as "the perfect book", this is it. The flowing language, the touching story, the characters, everything was written so beautifully.

I recommend everyone to read this book. I certainly learned a lot about good writing from reading this book.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 160 pages into The Book Thief and thoroughly enjoying it.

Reaction score
I've read it twice to see what all the fuss is about. I just don't get it.

The second time it took me months to get through. I only kept going 'cause the author's hot.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
I've read it. Liked it but wasn't blown away by it by any means. Just shows there's rarely a consensus about what makes a perfect book.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I just started listening to this on my ipod. So far I'm enjoying it, but I haven't gotten very far. I've heard good things about it, though, so I'm optimistic. I've heard a few indifferent reviews, like scarletpeaches, but I haven't had anyone say that they outright hated it.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't read it yet, but it's certainly on my "to read" list. Mostly I've heard very good things. Maybe once I finish the tub of books sitting by my Nintendo I'll start reading this one.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished this yesterday, and I loved it. I checked it out from the library, but I think I'll be buying my own copy, because I'm pretty sure this one is a book I'm going to re-read more than once.

I loved the narrator, I loved the imagery, I loved the story. The whole package, really.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished it today and loved it. I did find the staccato style rather difficult, to start with, but loved the images he evoked when referring to words.

Ciera_

I found the (very) ending a bit unexpected, I sort of expected the last couple pages to take a sharp turn or something. But it was a phenomenal book. Absolutely gorgeous writing, and a very moving story.

Kateri

Registered
Reaction score
So agree Exir. As a fellow Aussie he makes me proud. I have gifted it to many of my friends and they have felt the same. Such writing, unusual grammar and style but it all works. A book to own I think.

HJW

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to read this, but finding it a slog. Seems like the author has thrown every literary device known at the story, and it's annoying me. It's a shame because it detracts from some lovely writing.

I'll persevere.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snort zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, I found it a great remedy for insomnia. I finally walked away mid-way through after giving it a real try.