Has this been done before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenken

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure it has, but I am unaware of any recent examples:

A mock non-fiction book based on a fiction novel. For example, what if Michael Crichton decided to chroncle the events of Jurrasic Park in a format commonly associated with non-fiction? Or Nelson Demille retold Plum Island or Lion's Game in a true crime format?

I've started a non-fiction piece based on a novel I wrote. It's designed to look exactly like a true crime novel, with character interviews, confession transcripts and even crime scene photos (which would obviously be mocked up). The biggest difference from the novel is that my non-fiction piece would be told from the view of the investigating detective who only made a few cameos in the novel, but was also working on it all the way through (he just didn't put all the pieces together before the protagonist did.)

When you boil it down, it's really Blair Witch or Spinal Tap, but in literary form. I think about some of the books I've read, like the two above, and think it would be fascinating to read more from other angles. I know McCaffrey and Tolkein trotted out all their companion volumes, and that happens fairly often in fantasy because you've spent all this time creating a world, but what about contemporary works?

Is anyone aware of another author that has done this? I'm also posting this in the Novel forum since technically that's what the book will be in the end.

Last edited:

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
If I have read this correctly. Then what you have is a fiction book written in a non-fiction format.... which could be very interesting but since you created the character and the events then this could not be non-fiction.
Excuse me if I read this wrong... I have not been on the boards in awhile.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
biotales said:
If I have read this correctly. Then what you have is a fiction book written in a non-fiction format.... which could be very interesting but since you created the character and the events then this could not be non-fiction.
Excuse me if I read this wrong... I have not been on the boards in awhile.

No, Biotales, you have it right--I love the idea, but it certainly isn't nonfiction, just fiction written in a "true crime" format. I think it sounds terrific--I love the mockumentaries the old Second City people do. My favorite is Spinal Tap, but I also loved A Mighty Wind and Best in Show. I didn't see Waiting for Guffman.
Good luck with this!

Status
Not open for further replies.