Make the Image

Poetic_Justice

Pondering affirmation
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm relatively new here. (I've been lurking for quite some time, and I finally have the courage to make a few posts.) Anyways,I study creative writing in my university, and we had a writing exercise called "Make the image." Describe something (anything!) as best as you can, and try to avoid generalizations, and cliches. Take a try if you'd like. I thought it'd be interesting to see what other people came up with.

Guess I'll go first:

The blistering cold chapped my lips and cheeks. The wind's fingers peeled at the dried flesh, and tried to tug my hair out by the roots.

Ciera_

Stocking
The stocking bulged everywhere, lumpiness in the extreme being the price of its stretchy fabric. The outlines of boxes and flat little chocolates and the long-handled back-washing implement were unpleasantly well-defined. I admired the advanced colouring, though, the sage and burgundy stripes interloping with classic red and green. Light from my laptop shone on something shiny within, whatever plastic packaging was so reflective was risking its ambiguity by showing itself so blatantly. A new touch for this year, to go with the new stockings themselves, was a cheap but elegant stainless steel 'K', which I'd pinned near the mouth, the brim which I'd tied with blue ribbon, not for effect but just to hold all that drugstore-bought cheer inside until it was time for mother to delight in all the little trinkets and treats.

I LOVE this little exercise. I might return to do this again and again ^.^
And welcome to AW, PoJu! (lemme know if you can't stand being called that or something)

Poetic_Justice

Pondering affirmation
Registered
Reaction score
I loved this exercise in school too. We did it just about everyday because it was fun. We also did "long shot, medium shot, and close ups" to learn to write those.... I don't mind PoJu, I suppose. No one ever called me that.

The white lilies bloomed, yawning across the creek with arms stretched high. Frogs patted the lilies' petals, and the frog's pink tongue flicked into the air, catching flies